Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Personally I think this would make a fantastic restaurant space.

Agreed. No offense to the firefighters, but I would rather see museum-related things consolidated to one location. This space could be better utilized as a restaurant of some sort. If they're smart they will have some sort of "spicy" theme. Hot wings, hot salsa, other things that make your mouth burn, etc.

^ Are you saying you want all museums grouped together? If so, I have to disagree. I think these small museusm scattered around the city helps distribute tourists and visiting locals to add some streetlife to a wider variety of areas.

I'm sad for the museum. I know it's not a major attraction, but I like seeing the old timers out there on the weekends talking to the kids. The Vue will be right next door, and could in theory have 3 restaurants, plus cans is across the street with their roof deck, I'm not sure how much more of that we need in this area. My 2 cents.

If they really are keeping the old firehouse, then this is probably a great thing for the area. Basically, the extra land behind the firehouse no longer divides the other two lots that Preferred owns. On one hand, a paved parking lot would be slightly more attractive than the overgrown gravel area that is there now. But on the other hand, this will provide a chance for that underutilized land to be built up and reconnect that urban fabric. The Vue is one thing, but it would be much better if an 8-12 story building could be built on the rest of the block.

Old Station 4 was actually too small to house all of the old pumpers that CFD has restored. While the station is a nice touch and will be missed, they need a a bigger space to display the trucks. They are currently stacked in there and stored at various stations throughout the city.

Don't make too many assumptions too soon. The article says nothing of this buildng coming down, and actually says the contrary. The new owner says clearly that he doesn't, and apparantly CAN'T tear it down and he knew that going into the purchase. He says he doesn't want to tear it down, and he has a preservation history under his belt (don't just hate the guy for owning parking lots -- which he has been selling here and there). He renovated and converted to condos The Frederick on Church Street -- a designated historic property. By turning it to condos it is effectively saved because anyone that would wish to tear in down in the future will have to buy out many owners instead of one. He also owns the Johnson Building on Tryon and is upfitting it.

Again, this article said nothing of the building coming down, just that it had been sold and that the Fire Museum would go and renovations would take place for new use -- retail, restaurant, or office. Personally I think this would make a fantastic restaurant space.

Well that makes me feel a little better. I know that it would be very difficult to tear this down, but I have memories of some really nice, historic buildings coming down for no good reason. Film row being one. We still have a nice surface lot there, though.

^ Are you saying you want all museums grouped together? If so, I have to disagree. I think these small museusm scattered around the city helps distribute tourists and visiting locals to add some streetlife to a wider variety of areas.

Not "all" museums, but it would make sense to group small ones like this together. I can't imagine that there is a huge demand for such a specific type of museum.

It's probably going to be affiliated with a bar. That does not count. We need an authentic stand alone spot But it's the law, Uptown must have a pretentious or party bar or over priced seafood or steakhouse on every corner.

Would you like a list of non-pretentous bars or restaurants that aren't bar oriented? They far outnumber what you've described, its just easier to see the big party bars than the small restaurants and/or little pubs. :shades: I'm not getting defensive at all, I just think that impression misses a lot of what is downtown other than snooty snub clubs.

Man, Uptown is BUZZING today. There is a huge musical conference at the conference center. I saw the figure somewhere of 11,000 people or more. It's obvious too. I kind of feel bad for them though, because other than resuarants, parks and a couple of museums...what is there for them to do? No real shopping (opinion!!!), just a bunch of construction and sidewalk closures.

I was just looking at all the renderings on www.skyscraper3d.com (Little) and under "portfolio" number 09 is a 6 floor glass and brick office building simply labeled "Cats." Is this the building that is suposed to go across Trade St. from the arena? If so, what's the status of this project; I haven't heard anything recently about it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On Oct 5, there will be a Ghandi statue and pocket park unveiled on Alexander and Trade St. It will feature a 8ft bronze Ghandi statue on a brick and marble podium. I got the flier at the India Festival this weekend. I dig statues, parks and art, and Ghandi's good in my book... so A++ over here.

Oh that's cool. That's for sharing.

• 6 months later...

Queens Table...the anonymous group responsible for the Statues at the Square and Queen Charlotte at the Airport is proposing to put in 20 ft modern looking "gateway" structures on S Tryon St at 277.

You can see a rendering of it here (very last page)

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/eb5zh...kshopAgenda.pdf

I think this is a great place to put in some gateway pieces on Charlotte's main street that let people visibly know they are entering Uptown. However this particualr art is very generic modern looking. I guess I just expect better out of the Queens Table group.

That rendering is terrible. I have no idea what the hell those things are supposed to look like or represent.

That aside, I'm all for more public art. Especially if the public doesn't have to pay for it!

Yes, it's hard to tell just what it is. I would love to see more info on this. I was in Kansas City on business awhile back and they had these wonderful art pieces at certain bridges going into the city that lit up at night. I think this might be along the same lines.

I can't tell what the hell it is, the orientation to the bridge/street, etc. I too would like a better rendering to get the full feel of this project.

I noticed in that presentation it mentions, "...Queens Table is donating four monuments to the City. Two monuments

would be erected in 2009, and two additional monuments would be erected at a future date." Are all four monuments for this project, i.e. two on one side of the bridge, two on the other? Or is this considered one monument and there will be an additional 3 monuments to be erected?