Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

^That's interesting... I'm not sure how bringing back employees to the office versus allowing them to work from home is more efficient, from a cost perspective. Of course it could depend on a lot of the job functions, especially with a financial institution I would imagine. I do consulting for a large IT company and it's far more efficient for me to work from home when not at a customer site. Everything I need is at home or can be done via conferencing or virtual technologies.

The way it was told to me is that at-home workers were born out of them being away from their desks 4+ days a week already. The idea was that the desk could be permanently freed up or physical office sizes could shrink. So less $ for real estate for people that weren't using it anyway.

Among the three uptown office proposals; Grubb, Childress Klein, and Carolina Theatre which one will break ground first??

Also does anyone think Spectrum will do anything with the 300 S. Tryon site?? Apartments with ground floor retail would do well there.

I read from a real estate analyst that she predicted the next major development to be 300 South Tryon because it fronts the Romare and tryon

I think the Childress Klein tower next to Catalyst will happen well before any of the others.

I know the 300 S. Tryon site keeps getting increasingly attractive and valuable, so it seems like its going to have to be a large tower like what was originally proposed, and I don't know how soon that can realistically happen. I doubt it will have apartments but wouldn't mind being proven wrong. However I would rest pretty easy knowing that it would definitely include a healthy amount of retail, I just hope it is on all 3 street frontages.

• 2 weeks later...

CBJ reports that Crescent has purchased a half-acre parcel on East Stonewall Street, located between South Tryon and South College streets, from an affiliate of Faison Enterprises for $1.5 million.

CBJ noted that Crescent now owns almost the entire block (one parcel remains) bordered by Tryon, Stonewall, College and East Hill streets,

I don't think this is old news (but I have been wrong before)

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2012/12/crescent-buys-uptown-site-sells.html?ana=e_du_pub&s=article_du&ed=2012-12-18

Edited by kermit

I wonder if they have near term plans or longer term plans for this block. (near term relative to downtown real estate)

I'm assuming all parcels on Stonewall facing 277 are destined to be blank walls and parking.

Only if if the completely ignore the master plan for the stonewall corridor. Oh wait... yes probably will ignore that. 

I wanted to link everyone to something Nostaglically. Does anyone remember the 50 floor proposal that was less long lived than the rest. The Charlotte Club, the 53 story timeshare building?

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php/topic/22954-renaissance-place-site-a-new-development-for-n-tryon/?p=499592

Oh the good old days when a skyscraper was announced once a week. Now the closest prospect is a federal courthouse building years down the road and a faint hope for a tallish building in Levineworld.

Oh the good old days when a skyscraper was announced once a week. Now the closest prospect is a federal courthouse building years down the road and a faint hope for a tallish building in Levineworld.

Childress Klein is like 25 floors on the park. :-). 

• 2 months later...

I was waiting for some clients to get back to me and I was searching around local architects to see if I could find renderings of new projects and i came accross some renderings I hadn't seen for projects that i knew nothing of during the Bubble Days. 

Does anyone know anything about any of these?

http://www.bbm-arch.com/office/

Specifically "Mint and Church, and SouthEnd Corporate."

I remember 727 Morehead and am bummed it never came to be. 

This was interesting too 
http://www.bbm-arch.com/planning/crosland-greens/

They also have the original plan for the Silos High Rise :-(

God...I would do back flips if that South End Corporate was brought back from the dead. South End needs some true class A office, especially with some out of the box design elements. I'm thinking that may have been Balfour Beatty since they relocated a few years back into the old Film Foundry space at the design center in South End. 

• Like 1

That concept of a building for a builder with so much of the structure exposed on purpose is a very cool idea.   I wonder, though, if it was ever a real idea, or something used to pitch to potential clients and fell flat.  

There really were some well designed projects that never happened during the finance bubble.   But hopefully the designers are still around to do the next round right.