Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

here is a photo of 400 South Tryon that Duke will vacate and I think they lease about 80% of it or more when they move into their new tower.  Here is an idea I have.  Turn the lower floors into a hotel and keep the office space at top.  I know Hotel Indigo has been looking and while this building is not historical I think it would be a nice hotel at least part of it. Otherwise the owners are going to have to do substantial renovations to market the space.   And since a big block of space at the existing Ally Center on S Church will becoming open as well around the same time that space is so much newer it should be easier to lease. 

IMG_7573.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

Clear up some confusion. Wiki says this building was renovated in 2015. But driving by the other day, looks like they’re working on the base ?

2 minutes ago, Dale said:

Clear up some confusion. Wiki says this building was renovated in 2015. But driving by the other day, looks like they’re working on the base ?

From what I understand the office floors  long occupied by Duke have not been renovated.  The lobby, the new retail on the back side, mechanicals have been upgraded.  This building will be 80% vacant when Duke moves out so some changes are going to have to occur.  That is why I was thinking hotel on the lower floors even though there would be obviously plumbing issues etc but should be plenty of height per floor to do it.

• Like 3

^^^ Somebody has to think outside the box as this 500,000 sq ft tower will be 80% vacant and I would be thinking of some creative ideas for the space.   Yes condos or micro apartments and or a hotel could all work.   Of course office space might work but I think it will be a long haul as Ally Center on S Church will have a good big of vacancy and it is a much newer building easier to lease up 

• Like 4

Bank of America vacated the base, they had a big branch there, that branch will eventually move to legacy union. So that’s why they are working on the base, for new retail tenants. I believe there’s also a first floor office that’ll be turned into retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Bank of America vacated the base, they had a big branch there, that branch will eventually move to legacy union. So that’s why they are working on the base, for new retail tenants. I believe there’s also a first floor office that’ll be turned into retail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I knew that and they have done a good job with the lobby renovation and the new retail especially in the back.  I am talking about the big chunk of space that will come available and non office uses need to be considered in my opinion.  I like the the outside of this building because it is different than anything else in town. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

here is a photo of 400 South Tryon that Duke will vacate and I think they lease about 80% of it or more when they move into their new tower.  Here is an idea I have.  Turn the lower floors into a hotel and keep the office space at top.  I know Hotel Indigo has been looking and while this building is not historical I think it would be a nice hotel at least part of it. Otherwise the owners are going to have to do substantial renovations to market the space.   And since a big block of space at the existing Ally Center on S Church will becoming open as well around the same time that space is so much newer it should be easier to lease. 

IMG_7573.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

This building is quite like it for a reason:

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/14489511/1123-S-Church-Street-Charlotte-NC/

another view:

• Like 1

In my memory this was originally the Rowe Company building which was the contractor to Duke for erecting towers and poles and running electrical lines for service to new and existing areas. Rowe was the successor to the Bouligny Company who had the earlier contract for such work in the first half of the 20th century. Rowe took the 400 S Tryon building (Duke) and put it on the Church and Carson location. This is all pre internet so difficult to find references within five minutes search.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, KJHburg said:

IMG_7573.JPG

IMG_7574.JPG

Does anyone know about a lighting change coming to this building? I was on 77s and looked to my left and saw the very top of the building was lighted in  purple.

9 hours ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ Somebody has to think outside the box as this 500,000 sq ft tower will be 80% vacant and I would be thinking of some creative ideas for the space.   Yes condos or micro apartments and or a hotel could all work.   Of course office space might work but I think it will be a long haul as Ally Center on S Church will have a good big of vacancy and it is a much newer building easier to lease up 

Maybe this was the struggle in peoples' minds when they decided to tear down the Independence Building, or Hotel Charlotte: old buildings, a reluctance to endure costly/time-consuming renovations, possibility of something not only newer and grander, but more marketable to the current market.

I mean, 80% vacant in one of the oldest office towers in Uptown... that gives me the worry-sweats just hearing it...

• Like 1

I doubt they'd reskin it at this point. Maybe in a few decades. Since they've already gotten ground level and mechanical done, they could pretty much do whatever with the upper floors if they're planning on major renovations to the office space. I'd love to see some new condos in uptown. 

I absolutely think it's ridiculous when security ask ppl to not take pictures while outside or on the sidewalk. They usually use the post 9/11 BS excuse about taking pics. I dont buy it.  But sidewalks and such are public property...can take as many photos as you want I think.  Not sure about plazas as they are more in the immediate vicinity of the property and those places sometimes have 'restricted areas'.

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 4