Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Question: at the rate that these parking lots are being gobbled up, how much longer will anyone be able to call the city 'Car-lotte' ?

I'd say as long as we continue to allow the construction of major public or private parking decks adjacent to LRT instead of a large building that contains offices and/or residences and continue to allow suburban style apartment buildings to be constructed in South End.

Actually, I take back what I said about rapidly vanquishing the car lots. I had to go to the Sheriff's dept to get fingerprinted (for my job), and found out where Charlotte keeps its surface parking these days:

Second Ward

1st ward :-)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Following up on stuff mentioned in other threads -

Some Uptown occupancy numbers I've heard is that Class A office space in Uptown is 97% occupied. You can't find 3 contiguous floors of space in Uptown right now. Hence the new jobs boom for Ballantyne, etc.

Given that, I've heard that things are moving quickly for the Goodyear site at Stonewall and Tryon (*which is the whole block, not just the Goodyear.)

AND I've heard there's movement associated with everyone's favorite development site: 300 S Tryon. I don't know specifics, but it does make me think we could hear something soon.

• Like 1

Following up on stuff mentioned in other threads -

Some Uptown occupancy numbers I've heard is that Class A office space in Uptown is 97% occupied. You can't find 3 contiguous floors of space in Uptown right now. Hence the new jobs boom for Ballantyne, etc.

Given that, I've heard that things are moving quickly for the Goodyear site at Stonewall and Tryon (*which is the whole block, not just the Goodyear.)

AND I've heard there's movement associated with everyone's favorite development site: 300 S Tryon. I don't know specifics, but it does make me think we could hear something soon.

Crescent is torture. I've refreshed CO, CBJ & UP every other hour every weekday ready for some info since the "transformative" CBJ article ran.

Anyone have a hint at when something more gets thrown at the public?

As far as 300 South Tryon, I could do without the PNC Raleigh look

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Crescent is torture. I've refreshed CO, CBJ & UP every other hour every weekday ready for some info since the "transformative" CBJ article ran.

Anyone have a hint at when something more gets thrown at the public?

As far as 300 South Tryon, I could do without the PNC Raleigh look

My contacts said things have gotten "awfully quiet," and hush-hush, so I don't really know if thats good quiet or bad quiet.

I think it's actually a rather nice building s'long as you ignore the pinnacle piece. It has a ground level preference I'd love for our bank buildings to replicate, not to mention it celebrates it's mixed use aspect with the massing and balconies on the upper half. 

I think it's actually a rather nice building s'long as you ignore the pinnacle piece. It has a ground level preference I'd love for our bank buildings to replicate, not to mention it celebrates it's mixed use aspect with the massing and balconies on the upper half. 

I agree. When you're there, the street level is very well done. It doesn't feel the need to scream "financial tower here!" with a giant plaza the way most of ours do, its mostly all retail. 

My contacts said things have gotten "awfully quiet," and hush-hush, so I don't really know if thats good quiet or bad quiet.

It has to be a good quiet. Were I a betting man, I'd say Council & the chamber are involved & if they're involved then surely a few loose lips have dished some details in which case I'd expect people not to opine (as Bill O'reilly oft uses) or be critical about the crescent project until like the day before there is public details.

In the airline industry, there's Gossip, rumors, PR's then dead silence, no comments, no rumblings then bam.

The longer time goes in we hear nothing, the more I think the project is growing in scale. Just my opinion. Though my desperate desire may be clouding my reasoning skills :D

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

Are balconies that high up useful for anything other than committing suicide off of?

I would ask someone at the Vue if a 48th floor balcony any more or less desirable/useful than a 8th floor balcony? I'm not sure why you'd stop building them at a certain height.

I figure the taller they get the more likely they are to be subject to increased winds.