Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

22 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Regarding Silos, might anyone here recall the Purina silo off North Tryon near the south end of the rail yard? It was imploded quite a while ago, apparently so long ago that it predates the intertoobz. It had the red and white checker pattern and was as well known as the JFG coffee sign on the west side.

Yep!  Very colorful.  Hated to see those go.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:03 PM, tarhoosier said:

Regarding Silos, might anyone here recall the Purina silo off North Tryon near the south end of the rail yard? It was imploded quite a while ago, apparently so long ago that it predates the intertoobz. It had the red and white checker pattern and was as well known as the JFG coffee sign on the west side.

I remember it. My grandfather's office for Stewart & Everett was very near it and I remember visiting in the 80s and seeing it.

• Like 1

ADM did push back against the project, but I don't believe that is what killed it.
It looks to me like CSX is content with downgrade their line.  I think they basically decided just to wait for NS (and Amtrak) traffic to clear the diamond rather than worry about speediness between Charlotte and Monroe.
I don't think the project is coming back, and I don't think the crossing is going to be a big impediment to passenger rail in the short-term future.
If I recall, rhe final iteration of the plan for the grade separation that came out before CSX said "No thanks" included an odd chicane for CSX that they didn't like. It was required in order to thread a double track alignment through between the columns supporting I-277. To go through years of construction headaches and get a sub optimal result like that was deemed to not be in their best interest.

Most likely it will not come up again for a pretty long time. It will probably only happen if/when there are regional rail trains running every 15 minutes on the NCRR and O-line, and even then only when the Brookshire Freeway is being dismantled or rebuilt so a straight path for CSX can be made.

ashley-fahey-sil*90xx2100-2800-0-0.png
By Ashley Fahey  – Staff Writer, Charlotte Business Journal 
22 minutes ago

An offer to redevelop the Charlotte Transportation Center site in uptown has been made, putting into motion a call for offers and potentially setting the stage for a major redevelopment in center city.

An unsolicited proposal for a mixed-use development at the CTC site, a 2.6-acre block bounded by East Trade, South Brevard and East Fourth streets and the Lynx Blue Line, has been received by the Charlotte Area Transit System, according to a notice recently published by the transit agency. CATS is now accepting competitive proposals for the site, which is in the middle of downtown, directly on the light-rail line and with frontage on the streetcar route.

The CTC block is valued at $22.9 million, according to the most recent Mecklenburg County property revaluation, which concluded earlier this year. It's highly valuable land in a city that's seen rapid-fire development in and around uptown during this cycle. 

Philip Charneskie, senior procurement officer at CATS, in a statement on Thursday declined to comment on any aspects of the proposal or process.

"The competitive proposal process has begun," Charneskie said. "To protect the integrity of the procurement process, CATS will not reveal information from the unsolicited proposal until the procurement and selection process has concluded. Therefore, it would be inappropriate for CATS to comment on the proposal during an active procurement."

Several real estate developers in town anecdotally expressed interest in the site and told the Charlotte Business Journal they would consider it for a redevelopment — but it wasn't immediately clear which firm submitted the proposal or what a potential development would entail. Given the value and location of the land and rising costs of construction, a high-density project seems inevitable if such a proposal is approved by the city

convert?w=150
The Charlotte Transportation Center opened at its current site in 1995 as part of a partnership with then-NationsBank, which later became Bank of America Corp. (NYSE: BAC). Today, it serves as the main connecting hub for CATS bus routes and is immediately adjacent to a Lynx Blue Line light-rail station. It also sits directly across Trade Street from Spectrum Center.

Elsewhere in uptown, CATS broke ground last summer on the first phase of Gateway Station, a multimodal hub that will combine Greyhound buses, streetcar, Amtrak rail and potentially light rail or commuter lines. The infrastructure portion is fully funded and under construction today, but the second phase, including construction of the actual station, has yet to be funded. CATS has previously said it will issue a request for proposals for developers to submit a plan to build the station in addition to ancillary mixed-use development around it, but that RFP has yet to be released.

Should the CTC site be sold for redevelopment, it's not clear whether local bus connections would be moved to Gateway Station or elsewhere.

CATS requires any groups interested in proposing a plan for the CTC site to provide an abstract of their development, including estimated cost, potential revenue-sharing and ownership structure, and information that shows the developer has the financial resources to complete the project. CATS says the proposals should also address an interim location for continued bus service, describe how transit services would be integrated into the project and consider other city priorities, like affordable housing.

Proposals for the CTC site are due by 3:30 p.m. on July 15

sorry for the poor formatting!!!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

That is the city bus station. I first interpreted the post as intercity, or Greyhound station. 

Yes CTC station.  Reads like the developer would have to integrate the bus station into whatever their site plans are, as well as come up with a temporary solution during construction?  i.e. station would stay but something else may go there also? 

10 minutes ago, Jayvee said:

The Moxy hotel will be 10 years old by the time anything happens here

its an aging eye sore that's holding back a whole swath of uptown. This isn't BV, owned by a vain developer who has tasted the sweet nectar of the limelight, and abandoned his desire to develop. This is in the thick of it, and if someone could get 2.6 acres, transit and arena adjacent, they'd be stupid not to develop it quickly. 

Edited by Guest

18 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

its an aging eye sore that's holding back a whole swath of uptown. This isn't BV, owned by a vain developer who has tasted the sweet nectar of the limelight, and abandoned his desire to develop. This is in the thick of it, and if someone could get 2.6 acres, transit and arena adjacent, they'd be stupid not to develop it quickly. 

Yes. Quite the opportunity. Perfect site for high density development (especially if a developer could acquire adjacent tracts).