Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Good. I was twisting my mind into pretzels wondering why people were anticipating the next development to be on top of that POS. 

Not sure where that would have come from. The deck on Church is part of the land ownership. Only thing that would need air rights, is like a 3,000 sq foot piece of an alley. 

4 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not sure where that would have come from. The deck on Church is part of the land ownership. Only thing that would need air rights, is like a 3,000 sq foot piece of an alley. 

It was @lancer22 mentioning a tower "above the deck". I read into that very wrong. :tw_tounge_xd:

I'm excited that they have mentioned the tower on this site "photo bombing" the skyline. That seems like a more ambitious than just a 20-25 footer.

• Like 2

It was [mention=32448]lancer22[/mention] mentioning a tower "above the deck". I read into that very wrong. :tw_tounge_xd:
I'm excited that they have mentioned the tower on this site "photo bombing" the skyline. That seems like a more ambitious than just a 20-25 footer.

I’d imagine 10 floors parking, 25 office or residential or hotel. 25,000 sq foot floor plates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it just me or does the Cable Box feel like a very under utilized asset these days?

The CBJ just did a nice set of stories on Bojangles and said that it saw 106 events this year.  I would be surprised if Spectrum had 75 events this year.

Is MJ the guy who controls booking? Feels like Bob Johnson might have managed summers somewhat more effectively.  It would make a huge difference to the city if the arena was not a 'big blob of nothing' for 2/3rds of the year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/20/how-charlotte-is-building-momentum-on-citys-east.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, kermit said:

Is it just me or does the Cable Box feel like a very under utilized asset these days?

The CBJ just did a nice set of stories on Bojangles and said that it saw 106 events this year.  I would be surprised if Spectrum had 75 events this year.

Is MJ the guy who controls booking? It would make a huge difference to the city if the arena was not a 'big blob of nothing' for 2/3rds of the year.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/06/20/how-charlotte-is-building-momentum-on-citys-east.html

14 ticketed events scheduled June 1-August 31

4 hours ago, kermit said:

Is MJ the guy who controls booking? Feels like Bob Johnson might have managed summers somewhat more effectively.  It would make a huge difference to the city if the arena was not a 'big blob of nothing' for 2/3rds of the year.

I think it's mostly a matter of cost.  A promoter can rent Bojangles or half or even less than the cost of Spectrum, so if there isn't a huge draw it just makes sense to go with the cheaper option.

1 hour ago, SoDoSoPa said:

I think it's mostly a matter of cost.  A promoter can rent Bojangles or half or even less than the cost of Spectrum, so if there isn't a huge draw it just makes sense to go with the cheaper option.

Yea, I totally get that. But does the 27th largest metro not generate demand for multiple arena night events?  There are a ton of events that only make sense in uptown (probably nearly as many that are looking for the cheapest option).

The Knights sell 10,000 tickets a game partially because there is nothing else to do in the summer.

6 hours ago, kermit said:

Spectrum had over 50 NBA/NCAA games alone.  Seems like plenty of concerts and graduation events too.  Really curious where those Bojangles numbers could come from.

^ why should we be content with less than one event ever other night in the Cable Box? That would be 180 events per year.  It is the center of uptown after all.

Edit: there are arenas that get used more than 250 days per year: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Staples_Center

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

On 6/21/2019 at 9:24 PM, kermit said:

Yea, I totally get that. But does the 27th largest metro not generate demand for multiple arena night events?  There are a ton of events that only make sense in uptown (probably nearly as many that are looking for the cheapest option).

The Knights sell 10,000 tickets a game partially because there is nothing else to do in the summer.

You would be shocked how bad the summertime and even spring bookings are at American Airlines arena in Miami. 

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

Per Charlotte Ledger, the land at 4th and Brevard across from CTC sold for $11M.   This is the Norfolk Southern land they were slow to let go of.    I am incredibly excited about this.  White Point Partners bought the land.  Does anyone know if there is a specific near-term user in mind, or is this a long term play?  Interesting this comes on the heels of the CTC RFP.   I believe White Point Partners is behind Optimist Hall.   Seems like this might be out of their normal realm of business, which has me curious if they have a partner.   Why is this such a big deal to me?  I have always thought there is a gap in the middle of the skyline, and depending on the angle, a tower built here would fill the gap.

1397778359_WhitePoint.jpg.1adeb1be3aeaba8aa048c27be7fb9393.jpg

1043176815_SkylineGap.thumb.jpg.b3cf1d4336512a34dda53eda05f9ee95.jpg

Interesting note:  I grabbed the skyline pic from White Point Partners website.  Hmmm indeed.

It would be my guess that WPP isn't developing this land but holding as an investment or acquiring for someone else. US Bank?

3 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Per Charlotte Ledger, the land at 4th and Brevard across from CTC sold for $11M.   This is the Norfolk Southern land they were slow to let go of.    I am incredibly excited about this.  White Point Partners bought the land.  Does anyone know if there is a specific near-term user in mind, or is this a long term play?  Interesting this comes on the heels of the CTC RFP.   I believe White Point Partners is behind Optimist Hall.   Seems like this might be out of their normal realm of business, which has me curious if they have a partner.   Why is this such a big deal to me?  I have always thought there is a gap in the middle of the skyline, and depending on the angle, a tower built here would fill the gap.

1397778359_WhitePoint.jpg.1adeb1be3aeaba8aa048c27be7fb9393.jpg

1043176815_SkylineGap.thumb.jpg.b3cf1d4336512a34dda53eda05f9ee95.jpg

Interesting note:  I grabbed the skyline pic from White Point Partners website.  Hmmm indeed.

Finally!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

So glad for WPP. When I first saw the news I was worried it was another sale to Crescent Communities, which would just be so extra at this point. 

Not sure why there'd be any hate for a company that has built a lot of housing for the young people that are growing this economy, helped bring pretty solid retail to uptown, southend, and NoDa, built a pretty nice transit plaza at Stonewall Station, and in my opinion will end up stealing a HQ from not just Detroit but maybe somewhere else in the future. I also guarantee they would have built 1 phase, and constructing the 2nd and 3rd of Brooklyn Village by now, unlike Peebles. 

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not sure why there'd be any hate for a company that has built a lot of housing for the young people that are growing this economy, helped bring pretty solid retail to uptown, southend, and NoDa, built a pretty nice transit plaza at Stonewall Station, and in my opinion will end up stealing a HQ from not just Detroit but maybe somewhere else in the future. I also guarantee they would have built 1 phase, and constructing the 2nd and 3rd of Brooklyn Village by now, unlike Peebles. 

Well when you say it that it it sounds transformational :P

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, kermit said:

277 rail trail ped bridge is on the move:

I am really glad this is moving forward, but I still wonder -- what happens when you get to Stonewall Station? Does everybody take the stairs down to Wholefoods for Fiji water and Macaroons?

There will be a bridge across Stonewall too,  just not being built as a part of this project.

On 5/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, navigator319 said:

Looks like 121 W Trade is getting a new glass base. Reno’s have started at least on the inside. No more outside patio for Kings Kitchen it looks like.

d894e147d7ab24593c99751caee01219.jpg

This might be one of the worst atrocities short of another bank lobby to happen to the uptown streetscape. I agree that this building is ugly, but the street level is pretty good by Charlotte standards. Creating a glass wall instead of outdoor dining is a major step backwards. Also this aesthetic modification is hideous.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, orulz said:

While I would love to see ADM move too, where would they go? My understanding is that their current location at the intersection of mainlines for both CSX and Norfolk Southern, with very close interstate access, hu is extremely advantageous for them.

The only other spot in NC that is really equal to or better than the current location in every sense is Selma, but that's pretty far from Charlotte.

Marion might work, and that's a little closer. While the NS Asheville district and the former Clinchfield have been somewhat downgraded lately and see fewer through trains today than in the past, they are still considered mainlines as far as I know and both railroads would be happy to add more trains to take more advantage of these somewhat underutilized routes. Downside is the NSX/CSX crossing has mediocre highway access.

Chester SC would be another possibility but highway access there is even worse, and I don't think NC would want to let ADM leave the state anyway.

Perhaps the RR thing isn't as big of a deal to ADM as I am thinking and they would be fine with basically any site with highway and RR access, but just a thought.

6-7 years ago when NCDOT was looking at the CRISP improvements for rail around uptown (and for the Red Line), they were looking at buying out ADM for something like $100m and moving their operation somewhere towards Albemarle. The price tag was in part what killed that project.

• Thanks 1