atlrvr

Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

2 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Not sure why there'd be any hate for a company that has built a lot of housing for the young people that are growing this economy, helped bring pretty solid retail to uptown, southend, and NoDa, built a pretty nice transit plaza at Stonewall Station, and in my opinion will end up stealing a HQ from not just Detroit but maybe somewhere else in the future. I also guarantee they would have built 1 phase, and constructing the 2nd and 3rd of Brooklyn Village by now, unlike Peebles. 

Well when you say it that it it sounds transformational :P

• Haha 2

On 5/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, kermit said:

277 rail trail ped bridge is on the move:

I am really glad this is moving forward, but I still wonder -- what happens when you get to Stonewall Station? Does everybody take the stairs down to Wholefoods for Fiji water and Macaroons?

There will be a bridge across Stonewall too,  just not being built as a part of this project.

On 5/15/2019 at 2:09 PM, navigator319 said:

Looks like 121 W Trade is getting a new glass base. Reno’s have started at least on the inside. No more outside patio for Kings Kitchen it looks like.

d894e147d7ab24593c99751caee01219.jpg

This might be one of the worst atrocities short of another bank lobby to happen to the uptown streetscape. I agree that this building is ugly, but the street level is pretty good by Charlotte standards. Creating a glass wall instead of outdoor dining is a major step backwards. Also this aesthetic modification is hideous.

On 5/21/2019 at 9:49 AM, orulz said:

While I would love to see ADM move too, where would they go? My understanding is that their current location at the intersection of mainlines for both CSX and Norfolk Southern, with very close interstate access, hu is extremely advantageous for them.

The only other spot in NC that is really equal to or better than the current location in every sense is Selma, but that's pretty far from Charlotte.

Marion might work, and that's a little closer. While the NS Asheville district and the former Clinchfield have been somewhat downgraded lately and see fewer through trains today than in the past, they are still considered mainlines as far as I know and both railroads would be happy to add more trains to take more advantage of these somewhat underutilized routes. Downside is the NSX/CSX crossing has mediocre highway access.

Chester SC would be another possibility but highway access there is even worse, and I don't think NC would want to let ADM leave the state anyway.

Perhaps the RR thing isn't as big of a deal to ADM as I am thinking and they would be fine with basically any site with highway and RR access, but just a thought.

6-7 years ago when NCDOT was looking at the CRISP improvements for rail around uptown (and for the Red Line), they were looking at buying out ADM for something like $100m and moving their operation somewhere towards Albemarle. The price tag was in part what killed that project.

• Thanks 1

Wow I always thought the grou d floor of 129 W Trade was a preserved facade or something. It's one of the best newer ones in the city. Too bad. 

31 minutes ago, DamicoKaren said:

Was a beautiful day in fourth ward park. Love the enhancements they made. 

20190626_131830.jpg

Can anyone guess where the sculpture in the fountain 'moved' from? :tw_glasses:

Didn't know where to ask this, but does anyone know what is going to happen to the Tech Zone space on the College St. side of Bank of America Tower? One of the glass panes was broken a few weeks ago and now the store is slowly being packed up. The only information I could find is an Observer article about the store opening in 2016.

I've been walking by every day and don't think I've ever seen anyone in there. 

• Like 1

the new multistory miniwarehouse building on 7th St by 277.  Honestly it looks like a hotel like the new Homes2Suites.
Today.   Bonus shot of the little bar that stood its ground under tremendous development pressures.  
IMG_6283.thumb.JPG.7419b2c0ab7b4e74136b517e4f0349fa.JPG
IMG_6284.thumb.JPG.c5e956d5e83500cff8210281aee06684.JPG
IMG_6285.thumb.JPG.a28e9e2d155fee7a33ea6e16fca8db61.JPG

Honestly looks like a turd, just like Home2 :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

From today's Business Journal regarding seeking a Master Developer for Gateway:

"We're looking for an iconic, mixed-use, transit-oriented development that has not just Amtrak but local bus, intercity bus, light rail, et cetera mixed in with a pretty robust vertical development that can be anything from hotel to retail to office space to residential," Lewis said.

If this could tie in with the RFP for the Transportation mall......

10 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Saw these stairs yesterday on Hill St they speak to some proposed projects uptown.  But I let you caption this photo. 

IMG_0216 (2).JPG

There used to be quite a few of these on Stonewall, which were the last remnants of single family homes in Brooklyn, but they all disappeared with the construction of The Pressley.

Just me but I think I would have waited a little bit on renovating this Starbucks until either the new S Tryon location at 212 S Tryon or the one on Stonewall opens...

this one is the one at Levine of the Arts and S Church. 

IMG_0526.JPG

• Like 3

On 7/7/2019 at 9:16 AM, KJHburg said:

Saw these stairs yesterday on Hill St they speak to some proposed projects uptown.  But I let you caption this photo. 

IMG_0216 (2).JPG

On 7/7/2019 at 7:51 PM, CLT> said:

There used to be quite a few of these on Stonewall, which were the last remnants of single family homes in Brooklyn, but they all disappeared with the construction of The Pressley.

These are used to read the the electric meter that is on the pole.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1