Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

3 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

lol we're near the top boys

Just because someone proposes condos surely does not mean it will built.   Look at 1 Brevard it fell completely apart.  As rental apartments maybe but not sure if the city would approve a tower on that spot maybe they would then you have to get it financed.  

• Like 1

Wow, so by looking at the article they want to build a 32 story building on North Smith Street, on a portion of the block bounded by smith, 10th and Graham Streets in Fourth Ward.  The site is behind Garrison at Graham Lofts.  As stated in the article "an elevation depicts several levels of structured parking serving as a podium to the tower with the residence, with the amenity floor on top of the parking."  Would be pleasantly surprised if this happens but highly doubt it. 

10 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

I remember Skyhouse 2 starting to go up right before I moved away and everyone seemed excited about it. What happened in the time I was gone? Was there some big controversy?

The issue is that they are still not leased up 2 and 4 years after opening and maybe they never will. Also, they sold last fall for substantially less than it would cost to build them.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

whoops i meant to post all this information on here for free the other day but it was just so far-fetched and in "never gonna happen" territory that i forgot

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, lancer22 said:

The issue is that they are still not leased up 2 and 4 years after opening and maybe they never will. Also, they sold last fall for substantially less than it would cost to build them.

Also, everyone I've known that lived there, hated it, and moved as soon as their lease was up.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Interesting, I would think those would be pretty desirable apartments. Is the problem that, as rick_davis_fan_21 said, that people just hate living there? The location seems good and it's not like we have a surplus of apartments uptown...

Many people can not build high rise as it is very complicated and of course so is the financing.  Look at the famous flop that 100s of people lost thousands of dollars the 210 Trade Tower at epicenter.  That developer had never built anything over 3-4 stories and people thought he could build a 50 story high rise condo tower.  (I saw the red flags on that one way before it was cancelled) Now if this development groups gets a partner with experience maybe.   Building high rises is not easy and only certain companies could pull it off.    IF this tower is condos good luck with that it wont happen.  Due to building costs thus super high sales price , NC builder liability laws etc high rise condos are just not feasible now in uptown Charlotte.  I do think that there is a market for a few atop a new hotel or two where they could share the amenities.  But a purely high rise condo tower I dont see one in the foreseeable future in uptown. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Interesting, I would think those would be pretty desirable apartments. Is the problem that, as rick_davis_fan_21 said, that people just hate living there? The location seems good and it's not like we have a surplus of apartments uptown...

Anecdotally, I have heard that the apartments are small and not very nice for the price.  I've also heard that there are way too many people living there for the amenities to be of any use.

The location is good, but that area isn't all that great for young people.  You can pay less, get a bigger apartment, and be in arguably a better location if you live in Southend in one of the many stick-built monstrosities that litter the landscape.

• Thanks 3

we should seriously start a thread called Unbuilt Charlotte and post photos and renderings of the un built high rises maybe I will start it.  1000 S Tryon Tower, the trump towers, 4 First Union the 80 story building.

what do y'all think?

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Also, everyone I've known that lived there, hated it, and moved as soon as their lease was up.

I'm glad I didn't move there. Couldn't afford it alone, but with my roommate we we're pretty close to signing a lease before pinching ourselves and realizing that we could save a hundred or two each by living in Plaza Midwood instead, and frankly enjoy an area with a little more character, no offense to Uptown, I'd love a 4th Ward house. 

One of my coworkers lives there now and says he cant wait to move out. He says it's a combination of the location, the area is still pretty undeveloped, and I think a lot of folks counted on the Publix project to be complete by now, the clientele, a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't live in a place like that thanks to generous rental credit, and the fact they're allowing people to Airbnb their units, or at least will look the other way, and overall lack to maintenance contribute to the lack of appeal.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jayvee said:

whoops i meant to post all this information on here for free the other day but it was just so far-fetched and in "never gonna happen" territory that i forgot

Thanks for this. I rushed to this site after reading the news on the Observer site just hoping to find where someone was saying they knew beforehand. I don't even doubt you did, was just looking for validation of my post from a few days ago. :tw_thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jednc said:
Thanks for this. I rushed to this site after reading the news on the Observer site just hoping to find where someone was saying they knew beforehand. I don't even doubt you did, was just looking for validation of my post from a few days ago. tw_thumbsup.png

It’s a lot of time and effort to develop the relationships it takes to know things in advance. I don’t speak for Jason, but I personally lament the secrets I keep from the people on this board. Y’all deserve to be as excited as we are about these things. Sometimes it’s not gloating, it’s just a release.

But we aren’t anonymous anymore, people know who we are, so... kinda hard to share secrets.

Love,

Tom from Myspace

Edited by Guest

Just now, KJHburg said:

Tom nice to meet you.   This architect also designed a cancelled condo tower in Myers park in addition to 1 Brevard

Kasey Jones

Yea but that was like 10 years ago. They also designed the original Silos development which had a 28 floor building. Honestly they quietly have designed some pretty great stuff, that actually WAS built.

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Many people can not build high rise as it is very complicated and of course so is the financing.  Look at the famous flop that 100s of people lost thousands of dollars the 210 Trade Tower at epicenter.  That developer had never built anything over 3-4 stories and people thought he could build a 50 story high rise condo tower.  (I saw the red flags on that one way before it was cancelled) Now if this development groups gets a partner with experience maybe.   Building high rises is not easy and only certain companies could pull it off.    IF this tower is condos good luck with that it wont happen.  Due to building costs thus super high sales price , NC builder liability laws etc high rise condos are just not feasible now in uptown Charlotte.  I do think that there is a market for a few atop a new hotel or two where they could share the amenities.  But a purely high rise condo tower I dont see one in the foreseeable future in uptown. 

I’d agree except we keep tearing down buildings that are overbuilt from most that go up today. Fantasy is just that. Which makes it all the more painful when we (still) tear down a better base than what replaces it.

[see: Polk as the most recent in a long line of examples]

19 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It’s a lot of time and effort to develop the relationships it takes to know things in advance. I don’t speak for Jason, but I personally lament the secrets I keep from the people on this board. Y’all deserve to be as excited as we are about these things. Sometimes it’s not gloating, it’s just a release.

But we aren’t anonymous anymore, people know who we are, so... kinda hard to share secrets.

Love,

Tom from Myspace

I completely understand. I really do. I just couldn't resist since I had just posted that the other day. I will admit, it is frustrating because I think many of us used to come here for the advanced info French.

Bank of America exiting out of 295,000 sq ft of Bank of America Plaza at 101 S Tryon but Cousins owner of the building does not seem to worried about it according to the article.

With Truist taking over 2/3 of the Hearst Tower maybe US Bank could move here and call it US Bank Plaza wouldn't that be something.

from the article

""Atlanta-based Cousins (NYSE: CUZ), following last month's roughly $8 billion merger with TIER REIT, has added another central business district tower to its Charlotte portfolio, the 891,000-square-foot Bank of America Plaza tower at 101 S. Tryon St. Following the TIER deal, this makes Cousins an even bigger landlord in Charlotte's CBD, with its other holdings here including Fifth Third Center, Gateway Village, Hearst Tower, NASCAR Plaza and the recently delivered Dimensional Place in South End. Charlotte-based Bank of America (NYSE: BAC) is the major tenant at Bank of America Plaza today but will soon exit that 40-story tower, with the bank consolidating employees who work in that building and Hearst Tower into other properties in the CBD, including Bank of America Tower at Legacy Union. BofA leases 295,000 square feet at Bank of America Plaza, with its term expiring in late 2020, opening up about 16 floors at the tower.""

Subscriber article:  https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/26/cousins-properties-ceo-sees-opportunity-at-uptown.html 

• Like 3