Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Any news on the Grubb/Novare Skyhouse? Shouldn't it be breaking ground soon?

i mean 119 e. seventh street is available for lease. Which I had been under the impression it was a police station. 2 story with 17,000 Sqft older building. Interesting space

Edited by Missmylab4

For those of you who have been hoping for something to happen at the Historic Fire Station #4 beside The Vue... I ran across this on twitter from a friends retweet.

A Coffeehouse. It seems to be a done deal... 

https://twitter.com/ebenezersCLT

That's cool, we could definitely use a more indie coffee shop uptown, even if it is an existing brand, (and a church-affiliated one at that). 

So I guess now I can mention that my workplace (design studio) was actively pursuing this space as a candidate for our new office. Even though I believe it deserves to be a public space, the thought of working there didn't sound bad at all  :whistling:

Any news on Skyhouse ground breaking? I'd like to see another tower break ground.

That seems to be a rhetorical question these days... I thought I remember reading that Skyhouse has a set crew that they use to go from city to city to build their apartment buildings. I believe they recently broke ground on their Houston project. So I would guess Charlotte would be one of the next ones... 

While refreshing for the Crescent project, an office tower was proposed Next door at the Westin (which really isn't new at all other than the project is advancing.)

Portman is ready to throw it up as soon as they have a main tenant.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/05/portman-holdings-plans-15-story-uptown.html

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

While refreshing for the Crescent project, an office tower was proposed Next door at the Westin (which really isn't new at all other than the project is advancing.)

Portman is ready to throw it up as soon as they have a main tenant.

http://m.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/05/portman-holdings-plans-15-story-uptown.html

From the article, largest contiguous block we have available is 117K.  Met wanted over 300K.  Wow.

Portman needs to build it on spec, signed tenant be damned, I can't see that being a bad decision, I don't care how badly the economy may tank again.

^agreed... And I'm hoping the delay of other office projects (300 s tryon, Goodyear parcel, etc) are not because of fear.

If I remember the rendering and it's accurate, please don't build this

Yeah not the best design... A giant cube blocking the Westin... But to be optimistic, the insets didn't look terrible

If I remember the rendering and it's accurate, please don't build this

Really? Its to be built on top of an existing structure, so the street level isn't going to change much (but probably gain at least 1 pedestrian level entrance, so an improvement if anything), and its only 15 stories. I know its not an exciting looking building, but is that a good reason to oppose office infill? A glass box on top of an existing deck seems pretty non-offensive to me so I say bring it on.

Really? Its to be built on top of an existing structure, so the street level isn't going to change much (but probably gain at least 1 pedestrian level entrance, so an improvement if anything), and its only 15 stories. I know its not an exciting looking building, but is that a good reason to oppose office infill? A glass box on top of an existing deck seems pretty non-offensive to me so I say bring it on.

Yea I don't think we can be very picky at this point... Build a giant cube I really don't care, just build something!

From the article, largest contiguous block we have available is 117K. Met wanted over 300K. Wow.

Portman needs to build it on spec, signed tenant be damned, I can't see that being a bad decision, I don't care how badly the economy may tank again.

I wonder if Portman was referencing Crescent when he said his Glass box had an advantage as they're ready to throw it up in a fast manner.

I think the box will look good. Ally looks really good (even if it didn't have the nice top) as infill. I'm sure the density will make the Portman Box aesthetically pleasing.

Came across this while doing a Google Image search.  Nothing solid of course but would be pretty cool to get a tower at 300 N College.

http://www.loopnet.com/Attachments/2/D/7/2D73C334-1D43-48A1-81E8-484D178EB979.pdf

That block is where a couple of clubs are. I am surprised that the owners would let those clubs go for possible redevelopment, especially since that is the heart of the clubbing district.....at least before the Epicenter was built, anyway.

Edit: 300 College

This block has been talked about for redevelopment for years. I even remember CBJ articles about it. What interests me is that the flyer seems to be from the last 12 mos, so clearly they are trying toget something going.

Edited by Guest

That would be terrific if something like that was built.  :thumbsup:

As far as the existing businesses there - I really think NCMF and Epicentre changed the dynamics of that strip and it's less of a destination - just my observation.

I just wish it could be built on any of our mostly empty blocks. Those clubs could change to other businesses...I know that the sidewalks are narrow and they're only 1-2 story buildings in the heart of uptown, but its one of our very, very few uptown blocks with some quirky character. 

Isn't 300 College where Cosmos/Bar Charlotte, etc are? I agree with nonillogical. Why destroy one of the few neat and quirky spaces left in uptown? I'd love to see this tower built (looks about 30 stories?). But not at the expense of of destroying something that already exists. Just go one or two blocks up and there are empty lots that would be better candidates.