Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

4 hours ago, DMann said:

Charlotte Center City Partners and U.S. Bank have reached an agreement to make the Minneapolis-based bank the lead sponsor of a long-delayed bike and pedestrian bridge connecting uptown and South End.

Executives from Center City Partners and U.S. Bank told the Charlotte Business Journal that the company is contributing $1 million to the project. A formal announcement is planned on Wednesday.

Last summer, Charlotte City Council approved the project in collaboration with Mecklenburg County and the state transportation department. At the time, the three governmental entities committed a combined $9.5 million toward the $11 million bridge, with the remaining $1.5 million to be raised privately by Center City Partners.

Michael Smith, Center City Partners CEO, told CBJ that goal has now been met, thanks in large part to U.S. Bank and some smaller private donors. The bridge has not yet been designed. Smith said it remains to be determined how U.S. Bank’s lead sponsorship will be represented as part of the bridge.

Speaking generally about the bridge, which will be built next to the existing Lynx Blue Line light-rail span over Interstate 277, Smith told CBJ, “This is one of those rare opportunities for our community to connect great neighborhoods, but it’s also a move that allows us to physically demonstrate our values. To do something iconic.”

Earlier this year, council approved a $1.2 million contract to hire Thomas & Hutton Engineering Co. The rest of the project team consists of structural engineering firm SBP, whose portfolio includes One World Trade Center in New York; Airboat Studio; Integra Architecture; and CMW Design Strategies. Design work will begin later this year with a projected opening date for the bridge in late-2022.

“We are very excited to connect the community in a very tangible way,” said Dee O’Dell, executive vice president of consumer and business banking at U.S. Bank. O’Dell is the company’s highest-ranking executive in Charlotte. “The Rail Trail Bridge is another way for U.S. Bank to demonstrate its commitment to Charlotte.”

U.S. Bank, whose parent company is U.S. Bancorp (NYSE: USB), already has 800 employees located in Charlotte. It is the fifth-largest bank in the country, with a national presence through its mortgage, auto loan and credit card businesses.

The company has bank branches in 25 states in the Midwest and West. This fall, it will open its first East Coast branch in Charlotte — in the former Dean & Deluca space on Tryon Street. CBJ previously reported U.S. Bank will have 10 branches in town by the end of 2020.

“Wherever we go, we invest heavily in the community,” Tim Welsh, U.S. Bank vice chairman of consumer banking sales and support, told CBJ. “What we were particularly excited about with this project is that this is an opportunity to literally bridge a divide and bring communities together.”

The 650-foot span will, for the first time, link the 3.5-mile Rail Trail in South End directly with uptown. The pedestrian bridge was included in the original light-rail plans, but removed in 2004 to save money.

U.S. Bank has also pledged an unspecified amount over the next five years to pay for upgrades along the Rail Trail with what Smith described as “programming and experiential enhancements.” Rapid growth in South End, including an apartment boom and a 23-story tower housing Lowe’s new technology hub, will make the trail more essential, Smith said.

The paved pathway is used by joggers, walkers, cyclists and people riding scooters to get to and from home, work and to avoid the hassles of parking and traffic. Smith said the bridge will be owned by the city.

Charlotte and Mecklenburg are each contributing $3.1 million to the bridge, while the state transportation department pledged $3.3 million.

4 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Thrilled to finally have that bridge! But late-2022? Three years to build a 650-foot pedestrian bridge? 2022 is the opening date for the new Duke tower and it's a 40-story building!

Good news!   May I ask why this wasn't part of the original bridge when the rail was built?

9 minutes ago, t_money said:

Good news!   May I ask why this wasn't part of the original bridge when the rail was built?

This version will actually be separate from the bridge, not built into an upgraded bridge. They were going over way over budget, and this, along with a station at Rampart St, in South End, and one in Pineville were cut.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

What about moving walkways like at airports? If you hit one of those right with an electric scooter I bet you could get up to like 30MPH.

I vote for a cable-car/gondola style ride. The future is now!

This is definitely great news for a large pedestrian/bike connection into Uptown. Now what we need next is an actual pedestrian/bike path through the city. Has anyone ever ridden along the "rail trail" in Uptown? Half of it is the lightrail platforms and in a few spots there is a separate pathway, but really awful for actually trying to bike across the city

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Yes the Rail Trail inside Uptown needs to be seriously addressed and continued north along the BLE. 

39 minutes ago, JHart said:

This is definitely great news for a large pedestrian/bike connection into Uptown. Now what we need next is an actual pedestrian/bike path through the city. Has anyone ever ridden along the "rail trail" in Uptown? Half of it is the lightrail platforms and in a few spots there is a separate pathway, but really awful for actually trying to bike across the city

Agree. While this extension across 277 will be a nice option for folks walking to work from South End, it doesn't do much for anyone running or biking further into  the city as you'll still need divert off just before Stonewall. It would be ideal to add a spur to connect over to South Blvd so someone can cross uptown using Caldwell & Brevard.

Chipotle is finally under build out in old Rite Aid spot.  In the next 4-6 months going to finally be filling a lot of these vacancies on S. Tryon.... US Bank, Chase, Tupelo Honey, Starbucks, Chopt, Chipotle. 

First Citizens spot out front needs to get in on the action.

Oh also signs up for a Planet Fitness next to Vapiano.  - This was news to me when walked by yesterday and saw the window signs.  They going on second floor maybe??

Add Chase Bank in Johnston building as well to this. Build out in full swing as of this morning.

Possibly I’m more excited for all these spaces being filled included the bank branches than LU 1, LU3 [emoji848]

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't done much business travel or other types that would require/utilize other cities' convention centers, so how much does this expansion help our standing with other competing places? It's great that it's getting a remodel and a bridge to the Westin and station, but for some reason the increased space figure seems low to me.

I'm sure a larger convention draw/event would swallow up that moderate increase in space like I do a plate of cocktail shrimp. :tw_lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eightane said:

I haven't done much business travel or other types that would require/utilize other cities' convention centers, so how much does this expansion help our standing with other competing places? It's great that it's getting a remodel and a bridge to the Westin and station, but for some reason the increased space figure seems low to me.

I'm sure a larger convention draw/event would swallow up that moderate increase in space like I do a plate of cocktail shrimp. :tw_lol:

Convention centers are becoming the new competition between cities. Charlotte's increase is pretty moderate, yes, but probably about right for a city our size.