Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

2 hours ago, Eightane said:

I haven't done much business travel or other types that would require/utilize other cities' convention centers, so how much does this expansion help our standing with other competing places? It's great that it's getting a remodel and a bridge to the Westin and station, but for some reason the increased space figure seems low to me.

I'm sure a larger convention draw/event would swallow up that moderate increase in space like I do a plate of cocktail shrimp. :tw_lol:

I think it is more the use of breakout rooms, additional smaller rooms and outside entertaining space which our convention center is lacking despite our moderate weather makes it attractive.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scribe said:

On the other side of Uptown, right by the Ellis construction site.

@8th and College there is a small building that is being upfitted -- does anyone know what is coming here?

image.thumb.png.b31c5a258a318a6f6d7123fc84f2c9cf.png

Could that be the construction trailer for the hotel by the Ellis?

37 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Major smoke coming from the vent above the entrance to 1 BOAC parking garage. 1 BOAC evacuated 

Somebody just got shot in the chaos. Medic transporting, life threatening injuries. Person was walking out of the Omni Hotel and got hit by gunfire. 
https://www.wbtv.com/2019/09/30/crews-battle-alarm-fire-restaurant-uptown-charlotte/
https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/1-person-shot-near-3-alarm-fire-in-uptown-charlotte

Edited by CLT2014
  • Sad 5

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Somebody just got shot in the chaos. Medic transporting, life threatening injuries. Person was walking out of the Omni Hotel and got hit by gunfire. 
https://www.wbtv.com/2019/09/30/crews-battle-alarm-fire-restaurant-uptown-charlotte/
https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/1-person-shot-near-3-alarm-fire-in-uptown-charlotte

Apparently the shot came from an altercation in the Epicentre. Shocker. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Apparently the shot came from an altercation in the Epicentre. Shocker. 

Totally innocent bystander. What I want to know is who's going to settle a beef at the Epicenter at like 3pm? Seems like they might have been taking advantage of the situation a block over. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I wonder why 2019 has been so crazy violent. Charlotte is on track to have a really high murder and violent crime rate.

It’s the heat, it’s driving people mad. :tw_confused:

But honestly, Charlotte used to be quite safe, not sure what the heck is up with people shooting in broad daylight (with first responders near the same block!)

A2 

Edited by A2.
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think this is why they want it to be more retail oriented as opposed to night clubs and bars however of course this was in the middle of the day and it was an innocent bystander across the street by the Omni who was hit.  Very sad.

The tough thing is as the Epicenter gets a worse and worse reputation, what major reputable retailer would pick it over alternative locations in Charlotte? There are too many other empty retail locations in Charlotte with more local residents, easier access to high income residents, no homeless people asking for money, and no brawls going on in courtyards. 

• Like 1