atlrvr

Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

105 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

As for Planet Fitness - I would love to see this go in the Former Gold's location uptown (epicenter).

The ad on S. Tryon says coming this winter - not sure that allows a lot of time

for a major upfit - but Tryon would also make a great spot for this.

Chipotle is finally under build out in old Rite Aid spot.  In the next 4-6 months going to finally be filling a lot of these vacancies on S. Tryon.... US Bank, Chase, Tupelo Honey, Starbucks, Chopt, Chipotle. 

First Citizens spot out front needs to get in on the action.

Oh also signs up for a Planet Fitness next to Vapiano.  - This was news to me when walked by yesterday and saw the window signs.  They going on second floor maybe??

Add Chase Bank in Johnston building as well to this. Build out in full swing as of this morning.

Possibly I’m more excited for all these spaces being filled included the bank branches than LU 1, LU3

• Like 1

I think in the Johnston Bldg 212 S Tryon that is Chopt and Starbucks.  Chase I heard is up at the 112 S Tryon Plaza bldg. another historical building.

• Like 1

I think in the Johnston Bldg 212 S Tryon that is Chopt and Starbucks.  Chase I heard is up at the 112 S Tryon Plaza bldg. another historical building.

Yes you are correct. The old Suntrust is where chase is. I always mix up these two old beautify buildings.
  • Like 2

I haven't done much business travel or other types that would require/utilize other cities' convention centers, so how much does this expansion help our standing with other competing places? It's great that it's getting a remodel and a bridge to the Westin and station, but for some reason the increased space figure seems low to me.

I'm sure a larger convention draw/event would swallow up that moderate increase in space like I do a plate of cocktail shrimp. :tw_lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Eightane said:

I haven't done much business travel or other types that would require/utilize other cities' convention centers, so how much does this expansion help our standing with other competing places? It's great that it's getting a remodel and a bridge to the Westin and station, but for some reason the increased space figure seems low to me.

I'm sure a larger convention draw/event would swallow up that moderate increase in space like I do a plate of cocktail shrimp. :tw_lol:

Convention centers are becoming the new competition between cities. Charlotte's increase is pretty moderate, yes, but probably about right for a city our size.

On the other side of Uptown, right by the Ellis construction site.

@8th and College there is a small building that is being upfitted -- does anyone know what is coming here?

image.thumb.png.b31c5a258a318a6f6d7123fc84f2c9cf.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Eightane said:

I think it is more the use of breakout rooms, additional smaller rooms and outside entertaining space which our convention center is lacking despite our moderate weather makes it attractive.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Scribe said:

On the other side of Uptown, right by the Ellis construction site.

@8th and College there is a small building that is being upfitted -- does anyone know what is coming here?

image.thumb.png.b31c5a258a318a6f6d7123fc84f2c9cf.png

Could that be the construction trailer for the hotel by the Ellis?

13 minutes ago, DMann said:

Could that be the construction trailer for the hotel by the Ellis?

I think that is correct is the contractors office for the Ellis. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, SentioVenia said:

Lots of smoke coming from the Ritz/BLT just now

It was apparently a serious fire in Roosters. The amount of sirens in Uptown over the past hour was insane. 

• Like 1

Major smoke coming from the vent above the entrance to 1 BOAC parking garage. 1 BOAC evacuated 

Edited by TheOneRJ

37 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Major smoke coming from the vent above the entrance to 1 BOAC parking garage. 1 BOAC evacuated 

Somebody just got shot in the chaos. Medic transporting, life threatening injuries. Person was walking out of the Omni Hotel and got hit by gunfire. 
https://www.wbtv.com/2019/09/30/crews-battle-alarm-fire-restaurant-uptown-charlotte/
https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/1-person-shot-near-3-alarm-fire-in-uptown-charlotte

Edited by CLT2014
  • Sad 5

47 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

EDIT: missed the same news above. 

Edited by Bruco72
double post

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Somebody just got shot in the chaos. Medic transporting, life threatening injuries. Person was walking out of the Omni Hotel and got hit by gunfire. 
https://www.wbtv.com/2019/09/30/crews-battle-alarm-fire-restaurant-uptown-charlotte/
https://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/1-person-shot-near-3-alarm-fire-in-uptown-charlotte

Apparently the shot came from an altercation in the Epicentre. Shocker. 

• Sad 1

Just now, TheOneRJ said:

This type of incident only causes a negative perception.  Wasn't there a shooting several months in the adjacent Loft Hotel lobby?

31 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

Totally innocent bystander. What I want to know is who's going to settle a beef at the Epicenter at like 3pm? Seems like they might have been taking advantage of the situation a block over. 

• Like 3