Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

From the O.  Looks like this one grew a few floors..

“The high-rise is expected to be 37 stories, according to minutes from a zoning committee meeting. That’s a slight increase from a previous rezoning plan, which called for 32 stories.  The structure would be significantly taller than most of the nearby residential buildings, though not as tall as the 50-story complex, The Vue, a few blocks away.”

35 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

“The high-rise is expected to be 37 stories, according to minutes from a zoning committee meeting. That’s a slight increase from a previous rezoning plan, which called for 32 stories.  The structure would be significantly taller than most of the nearby residential buildings, though not as tall as the 50-story complex, The Vue, a few blocks away.”

So if it's 37 stories now, that's just a tad higher than the Avenue which is 425' tall? Assuming the normal residential floor heights.

43 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

Such an odd place for this. Going to look odd down there by itself, assuming it gets built.

• Like 1

The retail component is equally odd to me.  My guess is that it would pretty exclusively serve the building occupants since that tiny sliver of N. Smith dead ends at the adjacent train tracks and back entrance to the ADM plant.  There is zero foot traffic there, unless you count the homeless who use it as a cut through from the tent camps off 277 to 4W/uptown.  Nothing else will make it there. 

14 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I could've sworn we have already discussed this building when it was initially proposed. I thought it was in the NC Music Factory page, but couldn't find it. It is quite the unique location and design. 

This proposed Apartment Tower was briefly discussed but I forgot in what thread.  I’m hoping this project starts within 1 Year or less of this rezoning.  If not, then the parcel & Building rights may be sold to another owner to develop the Tower which would probably be a more distant prospect.

Edited by Hushpuppy321

15 minutes ago, Rufus said:

I could've sworn we have already discussed this building when it was initially proposed. I thought it was in the NC Music Factory page, but couldn't find it. It is quite the unique location and design. 

You're right, there was a thread already started about this project (link below) and someone else just started another, maybe the mods can consolidate the threads.

Edited by jtmonk
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HopHead said:

So if it's 37 stories now, that's just a tad higher than the Avenue which is 425' tall? Assuming the normal residential floor heights.

But there is a top piece to it so maybe add some feet to that.  I say 455 since the garage floors are about a foot or two more than the average residential floor. 

Edited by j-man

CMPD is on an absolute building spree.  Not sure if everyone noticed but they’re building a lot of Police Stations.  One one Independence, One on W.T. Harris, One in University, One in Ballantyne.

Now if they could just deal with the shortage of Patrol Officers and Detectives.  They’re like 200 personnel short.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

To recap: what was a Bank of America branch just a few years ago is now a: Eddie V's, Devon & Blakely, Sukoshi, and Tupelo Honey. 

Isn't there still one more retail spot avail?  I can't remember but it seems like it's between Sukoshi and Tupelo.  It was supposedly a bar/lounge, but you walk downstairs to it.  Like how the Cellar is.

1 minute ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Isn't there still one more retail spot avail?  I can't remember but it seems like it's between Sukoshi and Tupelo.  It was supposedly a bar/lounge, but you walk downstairs to it.  Like how the Cellar is.

I think that's where Planet Fitness is going.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Scribe said:

The home site for this - with a ton of detail - is here https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/efac99c9c4034704949ae06479074c3d 

Really neat tool!

Speaking as a hopefully-soon-to-be web developer, the design and animations on that website are really interesting.

I wonder if it was developed by folks in NC (the website).

• Like 2