Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Miscellaneous facts from the Center City 2020 report I referenced in Good News

33% of uptown residents have dogs and only 1 dog park (that really needs to change and I took some photos of mini dog parks in downtown Tampa)

Kids are booming!  73% growth in those under age 5 in the past 5  years uptown

Southend stats: 66% of the southend residents moved from another city!  

Only 33% of the southend residents work in southend or uptown.    (that is why unfortunately you need so many parking spaces at the new apartment complexes 2/3 work elsewhere and just live there because they like the neighborhood.  

https://www.charlottecentercity.org/business/reports/

• Like 4

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

One Wells Fargo will undergone multimillion dollar renovation of lobby and overstreet mall connections.  Wells which leases 680,000 sq ft will vacate up to 280,000 sq ft as it consolidates into company owned buildings like 3 Wells Fargo (already pushed Parker Poe out there) and Duke Energy Center where it is has not been renewing leases of other tenants. 

They are moving into the 360,000 sq 300 South Brevard building (old BellSouth AT&T building) that was completely renovated.

Subscriber story

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/02/10/uptown-tower-poised-for-big-change-with-upcoming.html

The Wells Fargo building  is so underrated. I think it’s still a very gorgeous tower. I hope they renovate the entire plaza outdoor area because it is truly dated. 

12 hours ago, QCxpat said:

"Major Mark W. Syrkin Monument of Valor" @ 1.31 p.m.  "The people of Charlotte have selected this serene corner of hallowed ground to honor all members of America's Armed Forces whose units gather in our city.  We dedicate it, not only to those who made the supreme sacrifice, but to those living members who remember their comrades and still hold high the torch of patriotism and love of country.  So many served - so few were recognized.  Our city seeks to honor all who come our way."

1056020538_MonumentofValor02_12_20.thumb.jpg.cab959bd2d9e717fe891574df8eb072d.jpg

Where is this? I knew about the monument in Thompson park, but I don't recognize this one

On 2/10/2020 at 5:18 PM, j-man said:

The Wells Fargo building  is so underrated. I think it’s still a very gorgeous tower. I hope they renovate the entire plaza outdoor area because it is truly dated. 

I always thought they should remove the water fountain and dated tower and replace it with a glass boxed retail sitting on the water pond. Could make it a coffee shop, even a Starbucks.

Edited by stw52
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

speaking of miscellaneous projects here is the bridge over Stonewall St and convention center expansion this morning.  First support column is up and done on the Whole Foods side.

IMG_3512.JPG

IMG_3513.JPG

WOW, they aren't wasting time.

1WFC is still a very beautiful building on the outside,  but man a lot of the floors are dated.

You’re not wrong there. Maybe they’ve been updated since the mid/late-90’s; but I remember admiring the, even then, dated green marble floors and walls in some of the elevator lobbies during First Union’s Kids Day at Work every year.

Getting to go out onto the “jukebox” balcony was breathtaking for a preteen future Skyline-Enthusiast. I’d be surprised if WF did that sort of thing anymore.
  • Like 4

Somewhere about that time you mention, early to mid 90's there was an event in the top floor space and a magician did the trick where an attendee (the "mark") chose a card from a deck and then after a shuffle the card has "disappeared" only to appear stuck to the outside of the window. A conventional trick but special due to the location.

The magician did other card tricks and illusions. Cannot recall what the event was.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

The executive dining room is up there and has private events from time to time.  There will be an Ellen Cherry Experience there on March 26th from 6 - 10:30 hosted by the Assorted Table Wine Shoppe in the Public market. Tickets are available at $200 each.   Go here https://www.eventbrite.com/e/ellen-cherry-experience-tickets-86932466347?aff=eemailordconf&utm_campaign=order_confirm&utm_medium=email&ref=eemailordconf&utm_source=eventbrite&utm_term=viewevent for ticket information.  I have been before, and the Experience itself is great, and the food and wine parings are wonderful.