Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 hour ago, DamicoKaren said:

Is this part of the rail trail expansion? 

It is actually part of the convention center expansion and the bridge gets people over to the Westin, whole foods, and the other hotel Home2Suites.  However it does benefit the Rail Trail when the bridge over 277 is done. 

• Like 2

So it sounds like a debt-free, all digital Charlotte Observer brand will be for sale shortly, what local benefactor should buy it and reap the goodwill of providing the city with local news?

Jeff Bezos certainly seems to be getting his money's worth out of the Post, I know less about John Henry's experience with the Boston Globe.

I could see the Duke Endowment stepping up out of a sense of goodwill. I could also see David Tepper making the purchase simply as part of an effort to maintain a local sports page. Foundation for the Carolinas could use it as a conduit for local arts coverage.

Perhaps Danny Levine could make the purchase so he could have an anchor tenant in Levine Land...

Super ironical if Ted Williams made it part of the Agenda empire.

Or, we could pool our money and turn it into

Edited by kermit

1 hour ago, kermit said:

So it sounds like a debt-free, all digital Charlotte Observer brand will be for sale shortly, what local benefactor should buy it and reap the goodwill of providing the city with local news?

Jeff Bezos certainly seems to be getting his money's worth out of the Post, I know less about John Henry's experience with the Boston Globe.

I could see the Duke Endowment stepping up out of a sense of goodwill. I could also see David Tepper making the purchase simply as part of an effort to maintain a local sports page.

Perhaps Danny Levine could make the purchase so he could have an anchor tenant in Levine Land...

Super ironical if Ted Williams made it part of the Agenda empire.

Or, we could pool our money and turn it into

In to what????? I must know!

Just now, Blue_Devil said:

In to what????? I must know!

Sorry, got distracted by the Georgia-Clemson news.

I kinda lost my train of thought, something about taking UP / militant urbanism to the masses. We could use the Observer as our platform to preach for more transit, higher densities and better beer throughout the metro.... {but I guess we already do that)

• Like 4

I'd love to see The Observer turned into a local weekly that can push for... let's say... politics that aren't typically pushed for here in Charlotte, better urban planning, more transit, etc. I'm thinking like Seattle's The Stranger weekly or papers like that. But those weeklies aren't making money either.

• Like 3

FYI - Was reading CAHA (Local hotel association) and was impressed with the hotel room numbers within Uptown:

Mecklenburg County is home to 225 hotels, accounting for 28,372 rooms. Of those, 26 are in uptown Charlotte for a total of nearly 5,800 rooms, according to information from the CRVA.

Five additional lodging options are under construction and expected to open in 2020. That will add another 1,582 rooms.

Total of 31 Hotels containing 7382 rooms Uptown alone by the end of 2020.  Quite impressive.  This may slow down some due to the advanced level of Hospitality interest in Southend.  They’re definitely going to get hotels that would’ve been built within the loop but It’s a good problem to have though.  Its a real possibility that there could one day be 10,000 rooms within the I-277 Loop in short order (before 2030) especially if there’s ever a Convention Sized Hotel (1000/1500 rooms) on the drawing board.

Heres the link; http://www.charlotteareahotels.com/news

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

FYI - Was reading CAHA (Local hotel association) and was impressed with the hotel room numbers within Uptown:

Mecklenburg County is home to 225 hotels, accounting for 28,372 rooms. Of those, 26 are in uptown Charlotte for a total of nearly 5,800 rooms, according to information from the CRVA.

Five additional lodging options are under construction and expected to open in 2020. That will add another 1,582 rooms.

Total of 31 Hotels containing 7382 rooms Uptown alone by the end of 2020.  Quite impressive.  This may slow down some due to the advanced level of Hospitality interest in Southend.  They’re definitely going to get hotels that would’ve been built within the loop but It’s a good problem to have though.  Its a real possibility that there could one day be 10,000 rooms within the I-277 Loop in short order (before 2030) especially if there’s ever a Convention Sized Hotel (1000/1500 rooms) on the drawing board.

Heres the link; http://www.charlotteareahotels.com/news

All great news.  What is missing though is any talk of the Hilton Uptown.  Had a friend stay their last month and damn place and rooms need some serious work.  Place is like a tomb from 1994.  Smells like it also.

• Haha 3

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

So...not sure level of excitement.....but...

The decrepit ~350 space parking garage at 123 S Church (corner of Church and 4th) is to be demolished for a new 750 space garage to replace it.

I'm fine with it if the new garage has ground floor retail and is built to support a future tower.

I agree with you - Owner would be a fool to spend money on remove & replace without plans to build it to support a future Tower.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

The decrepit ~350 space parking garage at 123 S Church (corner of Church and 4th) is to be demolished for a new 750 space garage to replace it.

I'm fine with it if the new garage has ground floor retail and is built to support a future tower.

I was alluding to this a few weeks back. If you look into the ownership of all the garages on Church, many have similar ownership lineage. I wouldn't doubt if this is getting rebuilt to facilitate developing the other garage spaces.

This is the parking deck where House of LeMond was right?   With this rebuild and potential ground floor retail, I think this would be a great opportunity for the Charlotte Center City Partners (in tandem with the owners) to reinvigorate their ambition for more "soft retail" and offer affordable rent, as they did for LeMond at $800/Month in this deck.  A business incubator for startup retailers and/or businesses that can't afford South End or Stonewall area rent, but desire to be Uptown.  My vision won't come to fruition, but it would be great for that area. 

LeMond story: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/living/fashion/article163806348.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

350 to 750 doesn’t seem like enough to accommodate for the loss of the other decks to development on that corner but I guess they don’t want to go much bigger than 750 or they start blocking views from First Citizens? 

3DE00A1C-A305-438C-8A0F-05069BBC116E.jpeg

Edited by Crucial_Infra

13 minutes ago, Crucial_Infra said:

350 to 750 doesn’t seem like enough to accommodate for the loss of the other decks to development on that corner but I guess they don’t want to go much bigger than 750 or they start blocking views from First Citizens? 

3DE00A1C-A305-438C-8A0F-05069BBC116E.jpeg

Awkwardly, the First Citizens property includes (same owner and tenants have dedicated spaces) the parking garage across 4th and connected by the gerbil tube that you can see above.  The redeveloper of this deck doesn't need to play nice with the FCB building.  

Edit: The new owner/developer is Preferred Parking....so unclear what RDF suspects happens here, but they certainly are the biggest owner of surface lots in Uptown.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, atlrvr said:

It will do both (retail and built to support). But Preferred has owned it since 2015 at least, and just ugh

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1