Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

3 hours ago, DMann said:

I was talking to one of the construction guys and he told me that each beam weighs 35 tons, is 110 ft Long, and the steel is 3 " thick.  Yikes!  I ask him if he was involved in the Hawthorne Bridge rebuild he laughed and said "not us" 

So that's what those beams were! I saw them on trucks sitting on the side of the highway yesterday evening and I think they're the biggest beams I've ever seen. They're huge!

2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

Maybe if Tepper buys the Tampa Bay Rays and moves them to the current Bank of America site, we can remove these Washington Nationals logos all over town. Charlotte Financiers anyone?

If Charlotte gets an MLB team, gotta keep the Knights name. Sharpest uni’s in the minors, better than many MLB teams. Plus the name is badass & works with the city

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Totally miscellaneous but here goes; I was comparing the list of Tallest buildings in Pittsburgh to Charlotte and CLT is nearly on par.  That thought is amazing to me since Steel Town has Iconic significance.  Charlotte is really growing!

Pittsburgh = 10 Towers of 500’ or taller.  32 Towers Total (Includes previous 10) of 300’ or taller.  125 Total buildings at 115’ or taller.

Charlotte = 8 Towers of 500’ or taller (includes DEC 2).  36 Towers Total (Includes previous 8 and all under constr.) of 300’ or taller.  Not sure of Total buildings over 115’ or taller.  Maybe someone can count Citywide on emporis.

Looks like 113 buildings over 115': https://skyscraperpage.com/diagrams/?searchID=89609926

Edited by SentioVenia
  • Like 4

Very cool and kind of un

3 minutes ago, CriticalT said:

**If you don't have anything nice to say that keep scrolling.**

A little more info here:  https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/17-artists-painting-black-lives-matter-mural-along-tryon-street-uptown/FV2UN3MUNFH6VLPQHBPFT5FM5M/.  I'm glad each letter be unique.

Very cool and kind of un-Charlotte.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/9/2020 at 12:59 AM, Hushpuppy321 said:

Totally miscellaneous but here goes; I was comparing the list of Tallest buildings in Pittsburgh to Charlotte and CLT is nearly on par.  That thought is amazing to me since Steel Town has Iconic significance.  Charlotte is really growing!

Pittsburgh = 10 Towers of 500’ or taller.  32 Towers Total (Includes previous 10) of 300’ or taller.  125 Total buildings at 115’ or taller.

Charlotte = 8 Towers of 500’ or taller (includes DEC 2).  36 Towers Total (Includes previous 8 and all under constr.) of 300’ or taller.  Not sure of Total buildings over 115’ or taller.  Maybe someone can count Citywide on emporis.

And my hometown just completed one of its first "skyscrapers" in YEARS with the new PNC headquarters.  There is some movement in the upper Hill District where the old Civic Arena was to put I think a few mid-rise buildings.  Overall, I don't see Pittsburgh building anything taller in the CBD anytime soon.  The growth is going across the rivers to SouthSide and Northshore and towards Lawrenceville to the northeast.  The city has done a good job of diversifying, albeit over an agonizingly long time - compared to Charlotte.

• Like 3

On 3/13/2019 at 5:28 PM, kermit said:

‘Word on the street’ is that Johnson and Wales U is struggling with declining enrollments.

There is ‘some’ risk of shutdown according to generally reliable sources.

So it appears that Johnson and Wales really is struggling. They just closed their campuses in Denver and Miami and suggested that students transfer to Charlotte or Providence. While this is possibly good news for Charlotte in the short term, we do need to acknowledge that J&W is shaky in the current environment. Online culinary education seems like a tough nut to crack, particularly when the national restaurant scene is on life-support. A bad Fall and Spring for COVID could do J&W in.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2020/06/26/johnson-wales-university-will-close-denver-and-miami-campuses

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, kermit said:

So it appears that Johnson and Wales really is struggling. They just closed their campuses in Denver and Miami and suggested that students transfer to Charlotte or Providence. While this is possibly good news for Charlotte in the short term, we do need to acknowledge that J&W is shaky in the current environment. Online culinary education seems like a tough nut to crack, particularly when the national restaurant scene is on life-support. A bad Fall and Spring for COVID could do J&W in.

https://www.insidehighered.com/quicktakes/2020/06/26/johnson-wales-university-will-close-denver-and-miami-campuses

Dang - I hope their Charlotte Campus can survive.  Really tough time for Restaurant industry.