Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Wow, that is an awesome project that we have been secretly hoping for.  Preserves the building in its present charm, coffee house on the ground floor, 250-300 person venue on the second floor and roof deck with the modern safety and convenience features added with a really cool modern addition.  I LOVE it actually.  I hope the Vue doesn't block their VIEW too much, though.  They didn't include an image of that view from what I could see.

I am bummed that it is a semi-chain owned by a church (a 'cool' one, though, it seems).  I was wondering what to make of the train logo even though this is a firehouse, but obviously all of the branding comes over from the original.

• Like 1

Ebenezer's is owed by DC area megachurch National Community Church, pastored by Mark Batterson. In DC (Capital Hill), Ebenezer's also hosted NCC's services, but services were discontinued at that location when the congregation outgrew it.  NCC has seven locations in the DC area and is heralded as one of the leaders in national church trends.  This may be a sign that NCC will be expanding to the Charlotte area as a church plant.

Ebenezer's is owed by DC area megachurch National Community Church, pastored by Mark Batterson. In DC (Capital Hill), Ebenezer's also hosted NCC's services, but services were discontinued at that location when the congregation outgrew it.  NCC has seven locations in the DC area and is heralded as one of the leaders in national church trends.  This may be a sign that NCC will be expanding to the Charlotte area as a church plant.

Oh boy.  A coffeehouse run by Biblical literalists that dress like hipsters.  Steven Furtick is going to have some competition I guess.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Oh boy.  A coffeehouse run by Biblical literalists that dress like hipsters.  Steven Furtick is going to have some competition I guess.[/quote

Yes Biblical literalists are a terrible lot, aren't they? I mean people who actually subscribe to a religion and a moral code really should just keep their faith to themselves. Never mind the renderings for this place being phenomenal. Never mind also that the quote that comes with every post you make is anti-prejudice, yet you show quite a good deal of prejudice against people of religious conviction in snide and jeering remarks like this.

While I am not a biblical literalist, members of my family are. And those members of my family are the hardest working, most mild mannered, understanding, and caring individuals you will ever meet. My father works two jobs and volunteers his time to mentor prisoners and recovering drug addicts. My mother also works and volunteers her time to mentor juvenile prisoners. Terrible people, eh?

• Like 1

Not all people at NCC are "hipsters" or "biblical literalists." The church is theologically, racially, and politically diverse. It is tauted as being a model for keeping politics out of church. It has gay activists, Obana adminstration officials, and Republican senators in attendance. More to the point this forum, NCC has been looking at Charlotte for a while now. It tends to meet in theaters and bought and refurbished and old theater to host services. I suspect it may be evaluating a similar plan for Charlotte.

Not all people at NCC are "hipsters" or "biblical literalists." The church is theologically, racially, and politically diverse. It is tauted as being a model for keeping politics out of church. It has gay activists, Obana adminstration officials, and Republican senators in attendance. More to the point this forum, NCC has been looking at Charlotte for a while now. It tends to meet in theaters and bought and refurbished and old theater to host services. I suspect it may be evaluating a similar plan for Charlotte.

I'm just wondering how obvious the religious ownership will be in visiting the coffeeshop and venue? This is the most inspiring renovation plan I've seen around here since the Music Factory, so I want it to succeed and I want to have a reason to go there, but if I get the slightest hint of preachiness, it would certainly be my last visit. I am thinking that will not be the case, and that it will be run for all appearances like a normal secular business, but that is my concern and probably the concern of lots of other people, even religious ones. I'm a pretty adamant atheist but a progressive, inclusive church that donates profits from a business it owns to overseas aid sounds like a great thing to have in town, I just hope there's no 'selling' of the church when you visit, just coffee :)

Edited by nonillogical

Sorry that I offended--and you're exactly right, that was a crappy thing to say. I won't apologize for the hipster clothing comment, though. I've been to the coffeehouse in DC, btw.

Apology accepted. Like I said, I do not necessarily subscribe to their belief system, I just think its wrong that it is socially acceptable to jeer at people of religious faith. While there have been some major ethical issues with religion in some cases and even atrocities committed in their name, the majority of religious people; Christian, Muslim, Jewish, Hindu or otherwise are hard working people and productive members of society. Some even go out of their way to help the ones that all others consider the scum of our society (prisoners, drug addicts, etc..) and try to help them recover from their mistakes. It's unfair to scoff at them because they believe in God, or because they are "not enlightened" as it were.

Ok, I'm off my soapbox now.

Edited by cltbwimob

I noticed how cool these old buildings are on S. Mint Street facing the BB&T Ballpark and noticed one of them is getting a renovation right now. I hope it's something worthwhile LINK. Also, right around the corner from there, the building next to Greens Lunch on 4th & Poplar has some sort of banner announcing a baseball park related business coming soon LINK

I noticed how cool these old buildings are on S. Mint Street facing the BB&T Ballpark and noticed one of them is getting a renovation right now. I hope it's something worthwhile LINK. Also, right around the corner from there, the building next to Greens Lunch on 4th & Poplar has some sort of banner announcing a baseball park related business coming soon LINK

Wow! This building has a really cool storefront!

http://goo.gl/maps/gklwB

Brewery anyone? Anyone?

Edit: Looked it up on GIS looks like its only about 7,000 sq feet of retail between the two of them, but that's enough retail for something great.

Edited by Guest

Nice story about Uptown's development spurt and what's still missing (including much mention of retail, N Tryon and Levine defending their first ward holdings)

http://www.charlottemagazine.com/Charlotte-Magazine/July-2013/Project-Uptown/index.php?cparticle=1&siarticle=0#artanc

Speaking of missing parks in 1st Ward...what ever happened the the replacement park that was to be built north of Myers between 6th & 7th? CHA owns the land but it is still a vacant mess.

I skipped the Levine section of the article as much as possible.  It is absurd how much praise he gets, despite doing nothing.  Journalists never seem to see the irony of calling him a developer when he has not developed anything.  

I have never heard of a replacement park where you mention in 1st Ward.  That land was supposed to be Phase II of Renwick/Enclave.  For now, though, it is well used as de facto open space until it is eventually developed.

1010554_354240614678363_1539890873_n.jpg

Just wanted to share a shot of 500 West 30th Street down the street from my office. The point of showing this is to display the fact that there is no excuse for the typical Charlotte value engineering that we get so often. This is prefab brick panels and you would never know! It looks great.

That's not necessarily a value engineering decision. Really good precast panel sections like that can get really expensive (and heavy, adding to structure), but in NY the logistics of construction and constraints may have made them a better option. You can look at any number of parking decks in center city CLT for examples of really lousy brick-laid precast panels.

Does look really good, though. Is there an architect listed on the job sign?

1010554_354240614678363_1539890873_n.jpg

Just wanted to share a shot of 500 West 30th Street down the street from my office. The point of showing this is to display the fact that there is no excuse for the typical Charlotte value engineering that we get so often. This is prefab brick panels and you would never know! It looks great.

Doesn't Avenue or its parking deck have something similar to this?