Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

19 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

So, I think a slight modification of that is to provide housing for city employees, for instance, affordable housing for oung police officers making below median wages.

Schools, with all that land, feels like a great place for young teacher housing.  

Excellent idea.  Especially academic villages for our young teachers...collegial environments promoting wellness, security, research, idea exchange, and culture.  What a recruitment tool.  

3 hours ago, ertley said:

Others can weigh in here, because I'm certain there are tons of aspects I'm not considering, but if Charlotte is finding it difficult to combat its dearth of affordable housing, why couldn't new city buildings like this be designed to have affordable housing incorporated, say as a residential component above? The city could form a private/public partnership, or even just with Inlivin (sp?). 

Some folks might not like the idea of living above a police station, but I know it wouldn't bother me, and I think plenty of people, especially seniors, might appreciate the added guarantee of security it would bring. Obviously fire stations would be too noisy for agreeable living, but police stations themselves are relatively quiet, right? The city could even prioritize residence for people who would most benefit from proximity to police and/or social services. 

It might not be cost feasible now, with land in the city still available, but as the arguments (like with Hall House preservation) escalate about the need to provide housing in all areas of the city, it seems like this could (eventually) be a solution. 

To me this building just *looks* like it should have a residential (mini)tower above it.

I think you're on to something.  

• Like 1

that big city down south Atlanta is already doing some affordable housing for police officers in intown neighborhoods brand new builds too. Charlotte can and needs to think more outside the box with affordable housing.   It upsets me that the huge Eastland mall site city owned will not have more affordable housing component.  Every vacant lot the city owns should be examined for housing of some type.  

• Like 3

I have posted about this before and rural elementary school, including several (or more) in Mecklenburg County had teacherages, where rooms for the teachers were available with common areas and a matron live-in supervisor. The residents paid a small fee. The opportunity for independent living in such rural areas was unfeasible. I was offered a place in one when I started working for CMS. Long Creek one was the last I knew to still exist and used as a community meeting house. Is it extant? Pineville, Berryhill I have been to those before they disappeared and were used for school storage or offices and meeting areas.

Long Creek teacherage:

download.jpg.cf2f73e03b3907eaccf9f12801565dc1.jpg

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

38 minutes ago, DMann said:

My memory tells me that Caldwell Street was to become 2 way from 5th Street to 12th Street.  Am I having a Senior moment, or was that really planned?

Yes. It's still technically in the Center City Transportation Plan. No immediate plans to move that project forward (or anything else in the CCTP) since the City defunded its center city transportation program in favor of one off projects and major transportation investments (ie: Silver Line).

1 hour ago, Spartan said:

Yes. It's still technically in the Center City Transportation Plan. No immediate plans to move that project forward (or anything else in the CCTP) since the City defunded its center city transportation program in favor of one off projects and major transportation investments (ie: Silver Line).

Some eons ago, I recall asking a CDOT person about this, and I think it was along the lines of "that project happen when there's an adjacent development project." My reading on it was that when the Levine wasteland actually gets under development, the city would tag on the infrastructure work required to convert Caldwell (redoing traffic lights, converting the 277 intersections, etc). 

11 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

Some eons ago, I recall asking a CDOT person about this, and I think it was along the lines of "that project happen when there's an adjacent development project." My reading on it was that when the Levine wasteland actually gets under development, the city would tag on the infrastructure work required to convert Caldwell (redoing traffic lights, converting the 277 intersections, etc). 

That's certainly part of it. But it also has to do with the 277 loop interchange reconfigurations that are planned. Once those are reworked it should open up more opportunities for street conversions. Still probably 10+ years from that, given NCDOT's financial situation right now.

• Thanks 1

Hope it is ok to put this here.   Prime time game tomorrow evening and many buildings uptown are not lit at "dark-time".

It always amazes me every year when we "fall back"  how many management companies are not prepared (just wait and

see this Sunday and Monday night).  But to not be prepared for prime time.   Truist (maybe not yet ready) but so many others 

out such as 400 S. Tryon, Wells Fargo 3, Juke Box (as always) Catalyst (oh yeah, then have been dark since the DNC in 2016). 

Let the building managers know to be ready for live prime time shots tomorrow.   

• Like 3

Hope it is ok to put this here.   Prime time game tomorrow evening and many buildings uptown are not lit at "dark-time".
It always amazes me every year when we "fall back"  how many management companies are not prepared (just wait and
see this Sunday and Monday night).  But to not be prepared for prime time.   Truist (maybe not yet ready) but so many others 
out such as 400 S. Tryon, Wells Fargo 3, Juke Box (as always) Catalyst (oh yeah, then have been dark since the DNC in 2016). 
Let the building managers know to be ready for live prime time shots tomorrow.   

Those shots are not usually live. They shoot them generally 2/3 days before. Hopefully at some point they collected all the best B roll they could.
  • Like 2

On 10/28/2020 at 11:07 PM, navigator319 said:

Those shots are not usually live. They shoot them generally 2/3 days before. Hopefully at some point they collected all the best B roll they could.

The blue lights on almost all the buildings were out in force by 6:45 Thursday night as I came into town from the Cotswold area. 

Edited by sakami
  • Like 2

Big land sale for sale uptown at corner of N Graham by 6th and 7th Streets in Fourth Ward.  I think the best bet is apartments as I don't think that is a great office site unless someone preleases it.  My bet it will be sold to an apartment developer and midrise put there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/03/fourth-ward-site-uptown-redevelopment.html

the Horizon at Uptown site

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/HorizonatUptown/index.cfm

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Big land sale for sale uptown at corner of N Graham by 6th and 7th Streets in Fourth Ward.  I think the best bet is apartments as I don't think that is a great office site unless someone preleases it.  My bet it will be sold to an apartment developer and midrise put there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/03/fourth-ward-site-uptown-redevelopment.html

the Horizon at Uptown site

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/HorizonatUptown/index.cfm

Hopefully who ever buys it goes mixed use tall or residential 10+

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

Don't have the energy to find the thread if it exists, but the 37 story apartment tower behind The Garrison sounds like a go. 

I know.....

Really you mean this could happen?  and there is a thread somewhere buried pages back I guess.  I can't believe they could get financing for that high rise or have they? I still don't think that is a good location for a high rise high rent apartment tower.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2