Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 hour ago, ES Charlotte said:

Don't have the energy to find the thread if it exists, but the 37 story apartment tower behind The Garrison sounds like a go. 

I know.....

I mean, people are flowing into Charlotte. I think we will see the number of new moves here to the city will have drastically increased year over year. We need capacity. 

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, people are flowing into Charlotte. I think we will see the number of new moves here to the city will have drastically increased year over year. We need capacity. 

I expect relocations to pick up a bit more, too.  People from smaller cities and rural areas flock to cities in search of work during recessions...and we are most definitely in the midst of one now and for the foreseeable future.  That's what brought me to Charlotte back in '93 after I finished school...if you need a paycheck you go where the jobs are.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

File under long-shot silver-lining:

I wonder if the Nashville Christmas nutjob bombing may yield us a nice new developable lot at 200 N Caldwell -- the site of our ATT switching building. I am sure it would be a biotch to move, but I would think just about any other lot could offer better security.  The remainder of the block is pretty ripe for a big project with all the parking. What ever happened with ownership of the briefly-designated Federal Courthouse parcel next door?

This tiny section of uptown has really been dragging despite some huge advantages like centrality, the Gold Line, nice public space at the old town hall and the arena.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

If I can offer an addendum to your comment - the ATT switching building is ripe for selective demolition and a really cool renovation.

I really doubt it unless we are talking about more than 10 years. They still actively use the majority of the building and are spending several million during Covid on some larger maintenance projects. Absolutely wild building though, there's like 10 people that work in that entire place. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Man how I would love to see inside. What a relic of the 20th century.

It is really crazy. They've left a ton of the old switchboards in place and only got rid of enough to fit the automatic boards which still are active and clicking away. Then there's a 10 year old data center on one of the floors that serves DirecTV for Meck county, looks brand new; crazy contrast against the rest of the place which is still "Bell South" everywhere.  Pretty sure they are legally required to maintain the phone switches for emergency services so I can't see them ever pulling out of this space until the US decides VoIP is satisfactory which I would assume is never

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

see I leave town and head south and y'all go start renaming buildings.  Bank of America Plaza at Trade and Tryon is no more.  the new name drumroll please is 

One South at the Plaza 

and BofA vacated a chunk of space and they Cousins have 350,000 sq ft to FILL out of a 891,000 sq ft building.   Since they have 2 major landownerships in southend perhaps they could market as swing space until they build to suit down there if desired.  Otherwise that is a huge chunk of space and I doubt ANY new office buildings will be announced uptown in the next 2-3  years.  Notice I said uptown not Southend.  Duke will empty out of 400 South Tryon and where is US Bank to go if they are pushed out of Truist Tower?  I still think US Bank should look at this space and get naming rights to consolidate their space uptown. 

Cousins Properties renames uptown tower, plans renovations after Bank of America's exit - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

see I leave town and head south and y'all go start renaming buildings.  Bank of America Plaza at Trade and Tryon is no more.  the new name drumroll please is 

One South at the Plaza 

and BofA vacated a chunk of space and they Cousins have 350,000 sq ft to FILL out of a 891,000 sq ft building.   Since they have 2 major landownerships in southend perhaps they could market as swing space until they build to suit down there if desired.  Otherwise that is a huge chunk of space and I doubt ANY new office buildings will be announced uptown in the next 2-3  years.  Notice I said uptown not Southend.  Duke will empty out of 400 South Tryon and where is US Bank to go if they are pushed out of Truist Tower?  I still think US Bank should look at this space and get naming rights to consolidate their space uptown. 

Cousins Properties renames uptown tower, plans renovations after Bank of America's exit - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Are you still confident about 10 Tryon?

1 minute ago, Robbie Charlotte said:

Are you still confident about 10 Tryon?

I am for now.  It is smaller building above the publix and will attract smaller users.  This hole in the old BofA Plaza is tougher nut to fill. They will be looking for someone to take a couple floors if they can. 

• Like 2

Here is the One South at the Plaza's new website aka BofA Plaza aka Nationsbank Plaza aka NCNB Plaza.    if they get a big tenant there will be a new sign on the Charlotte skyline.

how quickly this leases up will determine future uptown office buildings construction.  We have big blocks of space in this building,  121 West Trade, First Citizens, Ally Bldg on S Church, never rented space in Legacy 2, etc.   But this is the biggest hole to fill uptown until Duke completes their building and starts emptying out of 400 South Tryon. 

One South at the Plaza

• Like 3

Now, if we could only get the Westin on the other side to get spruced up a bit.  That streetscape on that side is dated, dirty, and not all that inviting.  Always thought they should add an entrance on the corner (Stonewall & College) to their bar SoCo to activate that corner a bit more.  Anyone know details or status of that multi-million dollar renovation they publicized a year or two ago?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Now, if we could only get the Westin on the other side to get spruced up a bit.  That streetscape on that side is dated, dirty, and not all that inviting.  Always thought they should add an entrance on the corner (Stonewall & College) to their bar SoCo to activate that corner a bit more.  Anyone know details or status of that multi-million dollar renovation they publicized a year or two ago?

I would say all renovation projects are being delayed unless you have a well capitalized owner and the Westin is limping along now with the rest of the uptown high rise hotels.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

The Westin needs serious renovations on the ground floor and outdoor area. Has so much potential and opportunity. And most of all they need to do something with that big beige structure around this hotel! It’s quite hideous and never understood the purpose. I mean at least paint it grey. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1