atlrvr

Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 10/28/2020 at 11:07 PM, navigator319 said:

Those shots are not usually live. They shoot them generally 2/3 days before. Hopefully at some point they collected all the best B roll they could.

The blue lights on almost all the buildings were out in force by 6:45 Thursday night as I came into town from the Cotswold area. 

Edited by sakami
  • Like 2

Big land sale for sale uptown at corner of N Graham by 6th and 7th Streets in Fourth Ward.  I think the best bet is apartments as I don't think that is a great office site unless someone preleases it.  My bet it will be sold to an apartment developer and midrise put there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/03/fourth-ward-site-uptown-redevelopment.html

the Horizon at Uptown site

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/HorizonatUptown/index.cfm

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Big land sale for sale uptown at corner of N Graham by 6th and 7th Streets in Fourth Ward.  I think the best bet is apartments as I don't think that is a great office site unless someone preleases it.  My bet it will be sold to an apartment developer and midrise put there.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/11/03/fourth-ward-site-uptown-redevelopment.html

the Horizon at Uptown site

http://capstoneapts.listinglab.com/HorizonatUptown/index.cfm

Hopefully who ever buys it goes mixed use tall or residential 10+

it's a large parcel though. I would expect something more like  Uptown 550 (on Stonewall) at a minimum. but possibly taller depending on the market. Ground floor retail along Graham St frontage. Maybe a little bit  of 6th.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, atlrvr said:

It's subject to HDC I think...only that if so, it should have higher quality materials.

Looks like it is. I hope you are right!

36 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

Don't have the energy to find the thread if it exists, but the 37 story apartment tower behind The Garrison sounds like a go. 

I know.....

Really you mean this could happen?  and there is a thread somewhere buried pages back I guess.  I can't believe they could get financing for that high rise or have they? I still don't think that is a good location for a high rise high rent apartment tower.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, ES Charlotte said:

Don't have the energy to find the thread if it exists, but the 37 story apartment tower behind The Garrison sounds like a go. 

I know.....

I mean, people are flowing into Charlotte. I think we will see the number of new moves here to the city will have drastically increased year over year. We need capacity. 

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

I mean, people are flowing into Charlotte. I think we will see the number of new moves here to the city will have drastically increased year over year. We need capacity. 

I expect relocations to pick up a bit more, too.  People from smaller cities and rural areas flock to cities in search of work during recessions...and we are most definitely in the midst of one now and for the foreseeable future.  That's what brought me to Charlotte back in '93 after I finished school...if you need a paycheck you go where the jobs are.  

• Like 2

File under long-shot silver-lining:

I wonder if the Nashville Christmas nutjob bombing may yield us a nice new developable lot at 200 N Caldwell -- the site of our ATT switching building. I am sure it would be a biotch to move, but I would think just about any other lot could offer better security.  The remainder of the block is pretty ripe for a big project with all the parking. What ever happened with ownership of the briefly-designated Federal Courthouse parcel next door?

This tiny section of uptown has really been dragging despite some huge advantages like centrality, the Gold Line, nice public space at the old town hall and the arena.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, tozmervo said:

If I can offer an addendum to your comment - the ATT switching building is ripe for selective demolition and a really cool renovation.

I really doubt it unless we are talking about more than 10 years. They still actively use the majority of the building and are spending several million during Covid on some larger maintenance projects. Absolutely wild building though, there's like 10 people that work in that entire place. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

Man how I would love to see inside. What a relic of the 20th century.

It is really crazy. They've left a ton of the old switchboards in place and only got rid of enough to fit the automatic boards which still are active and clicking away. Then there's a 10 year old data center on one of the floors that serves DirecTV for Meck county, looks brand new; crazy contrast against the rest of the place which is still "Bell South" everywhere.  Pretty sure they are legally required to maintain the phone switches for emergency services so I can't see them ever pulling out of this space until the US decides VoIP is satisfactory which I would assume is never

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

see I leave town and head south and y'all go start renaming buildings.  Bank of America Plaza at Trade and Tryon is no more.  the new name drumroll please is 

One South at the Plaza 

and BofA vacated a chunk of space and they Cousins have 350,000 sq ft to FILL out of a 891,000 sq ft building.   Since they have 2 major landownerships in southend perhaps they could market as swing space until they build to suit down there if desired.  Otherwise that is a huge chunk of space and I doubt ANY new office buildings will be announced uptown in the next 2-3  years.  Notice I said uptown not Southend.  Duke will empty out of 400 South Tryon and where is US Bank to go if they are pushed out of Truist Tower?  I still think US Bank should look at this space and get naming rights to consolidate their space uptown. 

Cousins Properties renames uptown tower, plans renovations after Bank of America's exit - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

see I leave town and head south and y'all go start renaming buildings.  Bank of America Plaza at Trade and Tryon is no more.  the new name drumroll please is 

One South at the Plaza 

and BofA vacated a chunk of space and they Cousins have 350,000 sq ft to FILL out of a 891,000 sq ft building.   Since they have 2 major landownerships in southend perhaps they could market as swing space until they build to suit down there if desired.  Otherwise that is a huge chunk of space and I doubt ANY new office buildings will be announced uptown in the next 2-3  years.  Notice I said uptown not Southend.  Duke will empty out of 400 South Tryon and where is US Bank to go if they are pushed out of Truist Tower?  I still think US Bank should look at this space and get naming rights to consolidate their space uptown. 

Cousins Properties renames uptown tower, plans renovations after Bank of America's exit - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

Are you still confident about 10 Tryon?