Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

4 hours ago, RANYC said:

These are already up, and nearing completion.  They're not bad as suburban sprawl usually goes.  The buildings, at entrance, are right up against the sidewalks along West Morehead, i.e. no major setbacks and from the main street, seas of surface parking aren't really visible.

Oh ok, I took it as they weren’t started. But also my point was that they are multiple  different buildings when they could at least just been one with a parking deck at least. 

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lifeless to alive in just a couple of years.

on topic but miniaturized... my wife 3d printed a copy of the uptown skyline for me!     Hurst was not ‘Hursted’, but check out those accurately reproduced surface lots! (actually

Per Charlotte Ledger, the land at 4th and Brevard across from CTC sold for $11M.   This is the Norfolk Southern land they were slow to let go of.    I am incredibly excited about this.  White Point Pa

Posted Images

Does anywhere in Charlotte look like this or is there some stretch or corridor that is under development to look like this... i.e. a long stretch of walkability and engagement that isn’t office lobbies?  Might a version of this pic be in Charlotte’s near-term future?

C1282BC5-7CE9-431A-ABBD-3B02BFB8CD3B.jpeg

Edited by RANYC
3 hours ago, Bikeguy said:

ea3fb97d-7b8d-49d0-bec0-27f3be7bcb78.jpg

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Brevard Court, but not exactly what I had in mind.  Thinking more of a street-adjacent strip.  Perhaps 7th Street in 1st ward...isn't that part of the North Tryon Vision Plan.  But I guess if this thread feels we already have it in Brevard Court, then that's cool.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, RANYC said:

Ah yes, I'm familiar with Brevard Court, but not exactly what I had in mind.  Thinking more of a street-adjacent strip.  Perhaps 7th Street in 1st ward...isn't that part of the North Tryon Vision Plan.  But I guess if this thread feels we already have it in Brevard Court, then that's cool.

Charlotte will never have  a street like what you are looking for, at least not in Uptown.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Not new construction (or shopping), but this is one of my favorite stretches in Uptown that reminds me of the pic above and before covid, this was a popular/busy area...loved seeing all the taxis lined up at night.  Attached two photo below, however, I wish Tryon in Uptown was a strolling/shopping corridor. 

abc.thumb.png.5758fb3e1f0471d6616e7adb865f328e.png

Camden starting at Flower Child looking towards Uptown gives me seem vibe too:

camden.thumb.png.1d9b0e6a42f2f2b49fcd24c7fb337aa8.png

I'm obsessed with the first picture here.  Thanks for sharing it.  I'd love to build on streetscapes like this all throughout Uptown and center city, more broadly.

8 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I know NoDa's core is not Uptown or CBD, but this is the very reason why it will always have a special place in my heart.

These three-ish blocks of storefronts are the most cozy place in Charlotte to stroll or sit, especially on that bus stop bench in front of Billy Jack's patio.

image.thumb.png.dbe1fb13eaf4ec4aad437fa7d274114f.png

This is lovely

• Like 2
11 hours ago, SgtCampsalot said:

I know NoDa's core is not Uptown or CBD, but this is the very reason why it will always have a special place in my heart.

These three-ish blocks of storefronts are the most cozy place in Charlotte to stroll or sit, especially on that bus stop bench in front of Billy Jack's patio.

image.thumb.png.dbe1fb13eaf4ec4aad437fa7d274114f.png

It's better compared to this pic, but I agree there shouldn't be parking anywhere in this picture. This looks before they even put stop signs here.

• Like 1

With both Lowes and Grant Thorton both planning to move out of the Charlotte Plaza Building, I would think that could open a lot of space for relocations of out of town companies to come in.

57 minutes ago, kermit said:
  1. Land value tax (rather than our current property tax which values land based on current use)
  2. Parking tax (Pittsburgh has had one for a long while)

Just tried to get quickly educated on Land Value taxes, apparently also in common use in the Pittsburgh area.  Milton Friedman was a big advocate.  Originated a long time ago with Henry George, a journalist, who wrote a best-seller in the 1890s called "Progress and Poverty". 

Here's a comprehensive overview: On firmer ground - The time may be right for land-value taxes | Briefing | The Economist

Ultimately, the write-up argues for a Split-Rate System, with one rate for property (improvements on the land/buildings), and a much higher rate on Land.  Free Market economists like Land Value Taxes because Land is a basic, God-Given capital element and so it's hard to determine who originally should have had claim to this most basic of capital elements so anyone holding it and restricting access to its development and enhancement should pay for such a restriction to God's Grant:).  It is the improvement to the land that reflects man's genius and work ethic, and that's the thing we don't really want to punish by taxing it...or if we do tax it, tax it less.

I guess how this would work in Charlotte is we'd keep total tax rates the same on developed lots of Charlotte, but then extract out of that RATE some sort of Land Value Tax Rate component (which would be higher than the property tax rate component), and then levy that Land Value rate on vacant lot holders, who i guess are currently not paying much of anything.

This would have been much easier to implement during the city's mass revaluation.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 3