Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Wow! This building has a really cool storefront!

http://goo.gl/maps/gklwB

Brewery anyone? Anyone?

Edit: Looked it up on GIS looks like its only about 7,000 sq feet of retail between the two of them, but that's enough retail for something great.

This building is owned (or maybe leased) by Preferred Parking (shocking, I know).  They use it to store all their maintenance equipment.  It's tiny, so the use would be fairly limited.  

Also, with respect to prefab brick, I think you can tell from a mile away and I think it looks like crap.  Skye has this on it as well, and it is clearly prefab.  That said, it's way better than the plain concrete buildings like the Catalyst.

Brief story about one-way to two-way conversion: http://wfae.org/post/cdot-removing-one-way-streets-uptown

Sounds like the rest of Poplar and Mint will convert to two-way when the park opens. Caldwell and Brevard are "ready" to go two-way in tandem with future development. (Great, so Levine is holding that up, too.) No word on MLK, which I would love to see go two-way sooner than later.

This building is owned (or maybe leased) by Preferred Parking (shocking, I know).  They use it to store all their maintenance equipment.  It's tiny, so the use would be fairly limited.  

Also, with respect to prefab brick, I think you can tell from a mile away and I think it looks like crap.  Skye has this on it as well, and it is clearly prefab.  That said, it's way better than the plain concrete buildings like the Catalyst.

I bet a crossfit gym would go great there. Way too small for a brewery. Hell, probably too small to be a dive bar.

This isn't really project news, and I questioned where this could go, but I'm gonna place here unless a mod chooses to move it (it may or may not need to be it's own thread).

There's an interesting piece by Forbes columnist, Allan Sloan that appears in today's Washington Post about Ally Bank

The gist is a prediction that ALLY is about to come out ahead (with the govt profiting from it's bailout/investment).  

What it makes me start thinking about was their presence here.  I know it is not the HQ originally rumored under Al de Molina (long since gone), but it does make me wonder if the turning of fortunes for the organization and the growth again of Charlotte is there any feeling of ALLY expanding their operations here or even revisiting the HQ question.

Any update on the knight office/hotel building? With Spectrums announcement for podium parking nearby, I'm nervous that cost engineering would do the same to this site. Anyone in the know if that's a possibility?

Ricky, the big announcement you've hinted about near Greens and the park getting any closer to an announcement? Or is this one shelved.

The Spectrum project is a huge letdown. At this point downtown still needs bodies, which will in turn bring more retail. The thing is if we allow 20 or so Spectrums it could really hurt downtown in the long run. I think all the new apartment projects announced or underconstruction have ground level/podium parking. No good.

To be honest, outside of apartment proposals, I feel like all the early mojo we had coming out the gate in January has really died down...

Until Janurary we hadnt really heard any rumors. Now for the past 5 months we've been waiting for news on several developments that are supposed to be announced. For example The only details made public about crescent were in CO & the CBJ back in Feb. that said "transformative project, 2 towers" basically and absolutely nothing else. No hints, no details. :D Maybe They had to rethink their idea when ARK proposed a ski slope in Eastland (one of you guys were joking around saying it will be a ski slope like the one in Dubai)

I still feel like we're sort of on fire development wise. I'm just assuming these things perhaps take (a long) time?

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

So put this under the "rumor mill", but one of my friends who works for an architecture firm here in Uptown (not Little) said they are doing preliminary work on a 400 unit hotel somewhere in Uptown.  The only other details she gave me is she believes its a Hotel that isn't in Charlotte yet.

So put this under the "rumor mill", but one of my friends who works for an architecture firm here in Uptown (not Little) said they are doing preliminary work on a 400 unit hotel somewhere in Uptown.  The only other details she gave me is she believes its a Hotel that isn't in Charlotte yet.

Could it be the expansion to the Downtown Hilton that I've heard about? Oh nevermind you said, "A Hotel that isn't in Charlotte yet" Hmmm, anyone care to speculate? I'd love to see this at 300 S. Tryon.

What hotel in uptown is that number of rooms comparable to??

And agreed, this would be great at 300 S. Tryon.

The Omni has 374 rooms... Hilton Center City has 400

Actually I take back my desire for this to go at 300 S. Tryon. I want this to either take the place of 210 Trade, or "Wachovia Condo Tower"