Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I'm suspecting the proposed development on that site will have the look and quality of the Fifth & Popular condos to mesh with the 4th ward vibe.

A little off topic of above (but still Graham st)...you know the most discreet block on that st is the Bethune School (10th & Graham) which I pass almost daily but it's just so random and I never really pay attention to it.  I bet a lot of ppl haven't noticed it either.  It's a massive block and is near the potential silver line station...just thinking if that area were to be redeveloped, would make that intersection feel a lot safer and friendlier for foot traffic.

Based on the Silver Line pics released a while back, the school stays (at least the structure remains) and that property is part of the rail trail route on the western side, and the gas station is gone so that should go a long way toward making it feel safer.

Edited by turbocraig
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, turbocraig said:

Based on the Silver Line pics released a while back, the school stays (at least the structure remains) and that property is part of the rail trail route on the western side, and the gas station is gone so that should go a long way toward making it feel safer.

They just rebuilt that gas station within the last few year bc of that fire.  Surprise it's going, but they did just build that new QT by Petty Thieves brewery.  

This is interesting to me.  This is from the Charlotte visitors bureau promoting the bars and venues along 5th St.   This is an organic not city funded or supported entertainment district that evolved on its own.   The city of Charlotte is 0-2 in promoting certain entertainment districts  first CityFlop I mean Cityfair and then they subsidized the Epicenter.   That is why I am SO skeptical of this planned entertainment district with the Panthers on the old training fields.   Great entertaiment districts evolve and develop on their own.  

5th Street District | Things To Do | Uptown Charlotte, NC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

This is interesting to me.  This is from the Charlotte visitors bureau promoting the bars and venues along 5th St.   This is an organic not city funded or supported entertainment district that evolved on its own.   The city of Charlotte is 0-2 in promoting certain entertainment districts  first CityFlop I mean Cityfair and then they subsidized the Epicenter.   That is why I am SO skeptical of this planned entertainment district with the Panthers on the old training fields.   Great entertaiment districts evolve and develop on their own.  

5th Street District | Things To Do | Uptown Charlotte, NC

Late last week, as the closing music for Charlotte Talks played, host Mike Collins rattled off a list of topics he and the mayor weren't going to get to because they'd run out of time, and he cited "entertainment district with the panthers," to which Mayor Lyles shouted, "no, it's a mixed-use district, not entertainment district."

So maybe they're clear-headed on their INEPTITUDE in this area 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Accounting firm DHG is moving out of Truist Tower when its lease expires and having more virtual more hybrid work model.   

""Dixon Hughes Goodman is committing to a new work model focused on hybrid or fully virtual operations.The professional services firm plans to launch DHG Anywhere in September. It will allow employees to customize their work schedules and turn offices into more fluid, collaborative spaces. DHG will survey clients on how they would like to be served. The firm is also creating Align Groups to foster virtual connections, career accountability and company culture.

Tricia Wilson, managing partner of talent and leadership at DHG, said leaders recognized last year that in-office work would not go back to the way it was. DHG organized an event with dozens of people in early 2021 to evaluate questions surrounding a return-to-office plan. She said the group narrowed discussions down to a few focus areas later in the spring, once DHG wrapped up a busy tax season. DHG said most of its employees expressed interest in the flexibility of the hybrid model.  "We really wanted to get ahead of the thought process there and the planning and at least begin to make some attempts at what that — some people might want to call it the new normal, the next normal, whatever — would look like as we all returned to the office," Wilson said.

Part of DHG's local shift involved a move from its Truist Center office when the lease ended. The firm is now transitioning to a smaller space, although it has not publicly announced where that location is. Wilson said the new space will have a different layout, meant to be used by employees floating in and out of the office. She said this concept was already in the works prior to Covid-19.  DHG has no plans to move from its SouthPark headquarters at Capitol Towers, a spokesperson confirmed. The company is reevaluating office space across its footprint when leases are up.""

Accounting firm DHG shifting to remote work, reevaluating offices - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

the reason this is news is that more and more office users are doing something like this and I think office construction across the country, here in Charlotte and in uptown is going to slow.  However there probably be a flight to quality new buildings but I think the size of such buildings will be smaller in the 300-400K range like those in Southend.  

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

I noticed last night that the Ale House on College street was now closed.

That hurts the epicenter/uptown scene even more.   I hope that large

space can be put to another good (retail) use soon.

The Panera Bread in the  same tower lobby is still slow to reopen (or officially shutter).

Also, I see the lights at the Daily on Church Street @ 6th have the lights outside 

back on at night now - any one know if they will reopen?

On 7/21/2021 at 8:58 AM, The Real Clayton said:

Actually... Jason and I are consulting on this endeavor and have been on calls with the City and Center City Partners. This is on their radar, and we are looking for a city sanction, funding for place making, and hope to set up a Business Association to fund marketing, enhancements, etc.  We are also pushing for weekly shut downs of the street to automobiles. 

What length of the street are you looking at doing the closures?

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 10:31 AM, RANYC said:

I know Charlotte wants to hold on to some sort of heritage, but I see this as a fairly slight and plain 2-story brick box with some ornamentation in the front.  If a developer can replicate some of that ornamentation and the materials, while giving us a fully filled-in block and a building that frames the street-scape, then I'm not looking to complicate the builder's life or the economics.

If someone proposed to come along and create 15-20 of these low-rise street-fronting facades all in this district so that we ended up with something like 6th street in Austin, I'd be all for it.

• Like 1

a little background on the Overstreet Mall from the Center City Partners

Overstreet Mall | Plan Your Visit | Uptown Charlotte, NC

One thing about the Overstreet mall it was started long after the Brooklyn redevelopment of that neighborhood.  This article makes it sounds like it happened at the same time which is not true. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

a little background on the Overstreet Mall from the Center City Partners

Overstreet Mall | Plan Your Visit | Uptown Charlotte, NC

One thing about the Overstreet mall it was started long after the Brooklyn redevelopment of that neighborhood.  This article makes it sounds like it happened at the same time which is not true. 

Thanks for this.  I appreciate the background and found the article to be educational.  I still think Overstreet Mall is lame.

Just had a thought - is there some way Charlotte can incentivize micro-retail in center city?  Designate micro-retail as a community benefit to perhaps streamline rezonings or permittings or to increase allowable heights.

Would love to see micro-retail spaces throughout uptown.

• Like 3

I think many of these vacant retail storefronts that have been vacant for years could be used.  Why not coax some of the developers into agreeing to rent to pop up retailers or another local tenants on short term basis.  I thinking of the Legacy parking garage, the spots across from Ink and Ivy, those spots at the parking deck behind Spectrum center on the curve etc.  A tenant paying $500 a month on a short term lease at least provide revenue for the property owner for example until they can sign this big paying tenant they all seem to be looking for.  I think Charlotte Center city partners should really promote this.  Hmm if I had rental property with no tenants for years I would reduce the price and think outside the box more.  

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I think many of these vacant retail storefronts that have been vacant for years could be used.  Why not coax some of the developers into agreeing to rent to pop up retailers or another local tenants on short term basis.  I thinking of the Legacy parking garage, the spots across from Ink and Ivy, those spots at the parking deck behind Spectrum center on the curve etc.  A tenant paying $500 a month on a short term lease at least provide revenue for the property owner for example until they can sign this big paying tenant they all seem to be looking for.  I think Charlotte Center city partners should really promote this.  Hmm if I had rental property with no tenants for years I would reduce the price and think outside the box more.  

Agree.  Occupied ground-level spaces could be amenities for the main tenants of the building - sort of how breweries and beer gardens are starting to spur other surrounding developments.

I'm sure these have already been considered, but I could envision a center city-wide program, backed by the city, encouraging micro-spaces, pop-up shops, rotating showrooms and exhibition spaces, art galleries, traveling/temporary art installations, tasting rooms, cooking/pottery/beer-making classes, live music/instrument recitals in small spaces.  Turn the entire streetscape into an incubator for small business and cultural endeavor.

• Like 2

I've always thought Founder's Hall could have been a good spot to utilized some sort of indoor mall type of spot.  There are some clothing options Jos A Bank and Ivy & Leo, plus that boutique store, but not sure how they could implement more stores in that area without taking away from established places.  I know the dining and theater take up space in there.  Just seems like it could have been a cool indoor shopping area if there were more stores in there..a place where stores could feed off of each other.

I drove right up Tryon today around 12.30 pm and I noticed lots of people on the streets eating out, with take out bags etc.  It almost felt completely normal up there and people in office attire.  It was much busier than I have seen in the last 16 months. 

• Like 3

the land on which  Green's Hot Dogs uptown is for sale.  I wonder how long this restaurant is for the world if this sells.

309 W 4th St, Charlotte, NC 28202 - Land for Sale | LoopNet.com

""The home of longtime Charlotte restaurant Green’s Lunch is up for sale. That .07-acre parcel at 309 W. Fourth St. is listed for $2.5 million, according to LoopNet. The restaurant has been a fixture uptown since 1926, dishing up hot dogs on steamed buns topped with everything from homemade coleslaw to housemade chili as well as burgers, fries and salads. It now occupies 1,598 square feet.  A flyer for the property says the “business is to remain.” A message left at the restaurant after hours went unanswered on Wednesday night.""

Iconic Green’s Lunch site listed for $2.5M - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

the land on which  Green's Hot Dogs uptown is for sale.  I wonder how long this restaurant is for the world if this sells.

309 W 4th St, Charlotte, NC 28202 - Land for Sale | LoopNet.com

""The home of longtime Charlotte restaurant Green’s Lunch is up for sale. That .07-acre parcel at 309 W. Fourth St. is listed for $2.5 million, according to LoopNet. The restaurant has been a fixture uptown since 1926, dishing up hot dogs on steamed buns topped with everything from homemade coleslaw to housemade chili as well as burgers, fries and salads. It now occupies 1,598 square feet.  A flyer for the property says the “business is to remain.” A message left at the restaurant after hours went unanswered on Wednesday night.""

Iconic Green’s Lunch site listed for $2.5M - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

2.5mil for 3000sf of land and a cinderblock building built in 1982?!?  No one is paying 2.5mil just to keep Greens. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

2.5mil for 3000sf of land and a cinderblock building built in 1982?!?  No one is paying 2.5mil just to keep Greens. 

Yea, Green's will be gone... That seems more like a negotiation thing to me. $2.5M to keep Green's? How about $3M and we knock down the building? Ok, sold!

Will be interesting to see what kind of high-rise would be built in its place. I would assume residential or maybe mixed use. 

EDIT: Doah, I just realized it's .07 acres, not .7 acres... What would you even do with something that small? Part of a bigger plan to get the remaining block?

Edited by HopHead
  • Like 1

Sorry to change the topic but I couldn’t think of a better place. Went up to get a drink at Bentleys while my gf was at Spectrum Eye and was surprised to see it gone. I figured it would’ve made more news. Is this recent? What’s the chances a new restaurant opens here versus office space (as I fear)

4C4E87E0-66F1-4841-AB17-5A514CD6731E.jpeg

4DC5CBFF-E16F-43F8-AF36-80DCE31A0E33.jpeg

F7F71688-BD69-4CF7-8FA0-D4E3384B6258.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

Sorry to change the topic but I couldn’t think of a better place. Went up to get a drink at Bentleys while my gf was at Spectrum Eye and was surprised to see it gone. I figured it would’ve made more news. Is this recent? What’s the chances a new restaurant opens here versus office space (as I fear)

They moved to South Park / Piedmont Row. 

10 minutes ago, tozmervo said:

They moved to South Park / Piedmont Row. 

Frankly I’d only drank at the bar before, but with that being said, a major draw was the view. Hence my curiosity as to a new restaurant tenant once the industry rebounds. Otherwise it would be a waste of one hell of a view.