Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

1 hour ago, nakers2 said:

Sorry to change the topic but I couldn’t think of a better place. Went up to get a drink at Bentleys while my gf was at Spectrum Eye and was surprised to see it gone. I figured it would’ve made more news. Is this recent? What’s the chances a new restaurant opens here versus office space (as I fear)

Not sure it is any more likely to become office space... most likely will just sit empty for a while. There is plenty of vacant space specifically for offices in that building and nobody seems to be clamoring for it. 

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed Sunday 2 things on my uptown walk.  Panera Bread on College has a note on the door that they anticipate reopening sometime

as early as September (though I assume that may get pushed back).   This would be great considering the Ale house next door is now closed.

Also, there seems to be a lot of activity in the Rock Bottom site on N Tryon.  Not sure if anything is happening there

but I hope something open there soon.  Really need all these projects on N. Tryon to get moving and get many more residents in that area.

• Like 4

As far as Rock Bottom space.  Balfour Beatty (contractor) pulled a demolition permit late July to basically gut it.

No indication if this is to prepare the space for a specific new tenant, but more likely make it easier to market by showing a large open space that potential new tenants can imagine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

As far as Rock Bottom space.  Balfour Beatty (contractor) pulled a demolition permit late July to basically gut it.

No indication if this is to prepare the space for a specific new tenant, but more likely make it easier to market by showing a large open space that potential new tenants can imagine.

I want Palomino back. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, ES Charlotte said:

I've heard from a semi reliable source that Rock Bottom is going to be a ghost kitchen for an already existing, but unnamed American HQ. 

Admitting total ignorance.  I had to look up 'ghost kitchen' and am now even more confused on how that correlates with a HQ?  So, like meal delivery services for Truist or something, as an example?  Totally in the dark over here.

Just now, turbocraig said:

Admitting total ignorance.  I had to look up 'ghost kitchen' and am now even more confused on how that correlates with a HQ?  So, like meal delivery services for Truist or something, as an example?  Totally in the dark over here.

Bank of America owns that building where Rock Bottom used to be so probably catering kitchen for Bank of America if that is true about the ghost kitchen.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, atlrvr said:

Or Compass Group NA to do all sorts of concepts.

A majority of the corporate dining they do is prepared onsite as they typically build out full kitchens. Same with both Levy accounts they have uptown (Cable box and BofA). In addition I am pretty sure they have a large commercial kitchen located over by their HQ but who knows with them. 

Another option could be Elior who I believe has their HQ located uptown.

Edited by a2theb

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

"French fast casual" sounds like an oxymoron. I look forward to trying it.

Yeah I'm curious what that means.  From my experience studying abroad in France, that would seem to mean a creperie or maybe a boulangerie (bakery/sandwich shop).  Those were basically the the only French places to get something cheap and fast to eat. This CO article mentions duck fat fried chicken, but that's all. https://www.charlotteobserver.com/charlottefive/c5-food-drink/article253567309.html 

Edited by TGIBridays
  • Like 1