Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

30 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is a great looking apartment complex for 4th Ward by a developer really trying to make it blend it and saving historical facades too.  Saw this rendering at the last UP meetup. 

A developer aims to preserve the old Fourth Ward Bread building in a new Graham Street project - Axios Charlotte

Thanks for sharing the link.  I couldn't be more thrilled with the renderings of what they're proposing for this site, and really appreciate their ethos in developing new projects.  This looks to be a truly activated block that would infuse the pedestrian experience in that entire area.  Fourth ward is really something in Charlotte, and I only wish Charlotte could replicate the ward in so many other parts of center city.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I know they have a different mission, but any chance we can get Inlivian on the phone with these guys?  Drove by the Hall House the other day.  There's a massive surface lot on the back and side of Hall.  Can't do new construction wrapped around Hall House while saving Hall for restoration?  Let Birmingham's Daniel Corp take over the Hall House project.  Next.

exactly right they could do that but Inlivian is very short sighted 

• Like 4

On 7/19/2021 at 10:41 AM, atlrvr said:

Given this is in the Historic District and both the demolition of all existing structures and design of any new structure must be approved by the HDC, there is a chance it will be preserved, though I don't know how the current commissioners would feel about a Facadectomy.  The trend in recent years nationally in historic renovations has been against Facadectomies.  I actually suspect the commissioners would stipulate the entirely of the original building be preserved, which as you can see from aerial's is 80-100' deep, if any is to be kept.

If that's the case, they would propose replacing it, as there would be no economical way to incorporate the entire structure.

Kudos to the developer.  It looks like they must have gotten some indication from the HDC that agreed with my above statement (that more than just the facade would need to be preserved if the building is kept), but they were far more creative than imagined in creating a setback/alley that allowed them to preserve the majority of the building (hope HDC agrees this is enough).  This is certainly an expensive solution, but look amazing.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Kudos to the developer.  It looks like they must have gotten some indication from the HDC that agreed with my above statement (that more than just the facade would need to be preserved if the building is kept), but they were far more creative than imagined in creating a setback/alley that allowed them to preserve the majority of the building (hope HDC agrees this is enough).  This is certainly an expensive solution, but look amazing.

IT would actually be upsetting if the developer said this was not enough, because that is a great looking project, and we need so much more residential density in Uptown. If we could get all the lots filled up with projects like these, there would be a lot less complaints of Uptown feeling dead. 

1 hour ago, midtownclt said:

God save the Quee.... uhm HALL HOUSE!!!

Just glad to see more potential housing in uptown. 

Would be nice for every empty block to have residential.

Imagine the retail we could support with more residents.

This project,  Inlivian and Publix project will go along way to help

North Tryon retail thrive someday.

But someone please, save the Hall House.  Such a great looking building.

Thats the point I always try and make, Uptown will feel a lot more 24/7 with a higher concentration of residents. Southend has that. 

1 hour ago, midtownclt said:

God save the Quee.... uhm HALL HOUSE!!!

Just glad to see more potential housing in uptown. 

Would be nice for every empty block to have residential.

Imagine the retail we could support with more residents.

This project,  Inlivian and Publix project will go along way to help

North Tryon retail thrive someday.

But someone please, save the Hall House.  Such a great looking building.

Amen! Housing is key to the future of Uptown become a full live-work-play neighborhood. Shopping relies more on residents than office workers. Its the reason strip malls in Ballantyne are packed, while we have empty storefronts around Uptown. There is the potential A LOT of people are going to be working at home 40%+ of a work week indefinitely now on hybrid schedules, so it is time for Uptown to diversify uses. 

13 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

This is really just another cookie cutter apartment building going up, the bare minimum is being praised here. :ph34r:

Oh yea, apartment buildings going up every day in Charlotte that fill in a surface parking lot and wrap themselves around old-brick structures comprising a pedestrian-accessible, long-standing, family-run bakery and cafe...and all of this in a designated urban historic district...and by the way, this new project is taking place across the street from a newly-opened apartment building that did even less than this so-called bare minimum, by tearing down a taller structure in the Polk Building.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Oh yea, apartment buildings going up every day in Charlotte that fill in a surface parking lot and wrap themselves around old-brick structures comprising a pedestrian-accessible, long-standing, family-run bakery and cafe...and all of this in a designated urban historic district...and by the way, this new project is taking place across the street from a newly-opened apartment building that did even less than this so-called bare minimum, by tearing down a taller structure in the Polk Building.

The bare minimum. Certain cities would find this laughable. The building is nothing special, adding bricks doesn’t make you unique. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

The bare minimum. Certain cities would find this laughable. The building is nothing special, adding bricks doesn’t make you unique. 

I think you're missing the point.  It's the principle of what a profit-motivated, sunbelt developer has done.  He's shifted his plans for something that is more context-sensitive and is a nod to local heritage.  That principle would be and should be extolled in any of these certain cities you know, whether we're talking about a soaring high-rise, an ancient cathedral, or an old baptist church for slaves and freedmen.  Care and consideration for aesthetic and historical contiguity in your real estate pursuits is always worth celebrating.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

There are like 3 cities in North America that may find this laughable, I guess... NYC, Chicago, and Toronto. I have seen buildings like this being built right now in Miami, LA, Houston, etc. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

This is really just another cookie cutter apartment building going up, the bare minimum is being praised here. :ph34r:

I agree. Reading these replies, I’m looking like, are we looking at the same building because this looks very lackluster. People see dark bricks and think that it makes something look historic so that makes them happy. Ehh. I was hoping that this would have been a taller residential tower with character. This looks like everything else in SouthEnd. But I won’t complain because at least it’s development in center city making the city more dense. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

There are a lot of residents in the surrounding area. Would love to see that commercial/retail space be used to create a food hall-esque type of environment. Multiple food stalls and anchored by a local brewery or bar. 7th street market and trolley barn vibes. Would give 4th ward residents a lot closer dining options and would really activate that corner.  Wouldn’t mind seeing a project developed across the street on the Vue’s empty lots either. 

Fourth Ward definitely needs more dining options, hopefully we get at least one restaurant in the retail space there.

• Like 3