Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

As a resident of this side of uptown, I’m excited by this news! I wish the development were condos, though. With the housing market as tight as it is, I think there would be demand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lifeless to alive in just a couple of years.

on topic but miniaturized... my wife 3d printed a copy of the uptown skyline for me!     Hurst was not ‘Hursted’, but check out those accurately reproduced surface lots! (actually

Per Charlotte Ledger, the land at 4th and Brevard across from CTC sold for $11M.   This is the Norfolk Southern land they were slow to let go of.    I am incredibly excited about this.  White Point Pa

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, TheOneRJ said:

The bare minimum. Certain cities would find this laughable. The building is nothing special, adding bricks doesn’t make you unique. 

I think you're missing the point.  It's the principle of what a profit-motivated, sunbelt developer has done.  He's shifted his plans for something that is more context-sensitive and is a nod to local heritage.  That principle would be and should be extolled in any of these certain cities you know, whether we're talking about a soaring high-rise, an ancient cathedral, or an old baptist church for slaves and freedmen.  Care and consideration for aesthetic and historical contiguity in your real estate pursuits is always worth celebrating.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, TheOneRJ said:

The bare minimum. Certain cities would find this laughable. The building is nothing special, adding bricks doesn’t make you unique. 

There are like 3 cities in North America that may find this laughable, I guess... NYC, Chicago, and Toronto. I have seen buildings like this being built right now in Miami, LA, Houston, etc. 

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Higgs Boson said:

Any word if there will be any more retail on this project, besides obviously the former bread shop building?

8000 sqft of Commercial/Retail in total. The space is flexible and could be used for either. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

This is really just another cookie cutter apartment building going up, the bare minimum is being praised here. :ph34r:

I agree. Reading these replies, I’m looking like, are we looking at the same building because this looks very lackluster. People see dark bricks and think that it makes something look historic so that makes them happy. Ehh. I was hoping that this would have been a taller residential tower with character. This looks like everything else in SouthEnd. But I won’t complain because at least it’s development in center city making the city more dense. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

There are a lot of residents in the surrounding area. Would love to see that commercial/retail space be used to create a food hall-esque type of environment. Multiple food stalls and anchored by a local brewery or bar. 7th street market and trolley barn vibes. Would give 4th ward residents a lot closer dining options and would really activate that corner.  Wouldn’t mind seeing a project developed across the street on the Vue’s empty lots either. 

Fourth Ward definitely needs more dining options, hopefully we get at least one restaurant in the retail space there.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

This is what happens when you subcontract the landscaping to Dr. Seuss. 

In all seriousness though, that is bizarre and it looks like the bulk of the tree's root-bed is going to be under loose landscaping soil and above grade.  That tree is going to topple with the first storm, right?  or is this more of an optical illusion?

• Like 1