Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

22 hours ago, Mgelbach said:

Is there a real reason that security doesn't want people to take pictures on their property?

Legacy Union, Ally, BOA Corporate Center all have ridiculous security who barely even let you get a camera up to your eyes before they stop you. Truist has gotten better, they'll come over and talk/hang out and have no issues with photography.

Everyone is so freaking paranoid about literally everything.  Can't take a picture of some building because it's a national security issue.  Can't go to a climbing center without signing your life away.  Can't go into a restaurant without proof of vaccination.  Etc.  I'm not saying we should all be running around willy nilly doing whatever comes to mind, but there are way too many people obsessed with covering their a$$es and minimizing anything unpleasant happening to them (no matter how unlikely) that we're all forgetting how to just live.  Rant over.

On a more related note, I have been told by security in North Hills not to take pictures of buildings due to "branding".  Sorry but this does not make any more sense than "terrorism".  Someone please explain to me how preventing photography minimizes terrorism.  There are pictures of every company's buildings all over the internet, and Google Earth lets you pinpoint exactly where every building is in each city, and usually will let you toggle around in a 3D view.  I find it hard to believe that a terrorist trying to blow up a building is going to conspicuously be taking pics of it.

• Like 2

The compromise in recent years of a more inclusive society has been removing discretion in assumptions and willing to mitigate risks by restricting individual rights 

If security let's stereotypical looking banker bro stand in a private plaza and shoot a picture of the building where they work to send to a friend, how does security then justify stopping stereotypical looking terrorist bro from standing in same plaza next to building taking a picture of the access card reader system to send to terrorist friend.

For better or worse, we as a society would rather err on restricting rights, than empower discretion that could either intentionally or accidentally be viewed as discriminatory.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Eightane said:

I agree about the first two of those, but vaccination is headed towards being *rightfully* mandatory. As I type this my aunt is in a hospital, intubated, and has been given a 20% chance to live. She is unvaccinated. This pandemic is historic and horrific and bears no meaningful resemblance or similarity to overcaution about taking pictures, because photos aren't a contagion.

There, I've said my off-topic yet personal piece. Resume.

Really sorry to hear about your aunt. Treatments have improved, so I hope for the best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eightane said:

I agree about the first two of those, but vaccination is headed towards being *rightfully* mandatory. As I type this my aunt is in a hospital, intubated, and has been given a 20% chance to live. She is unvaccinated. This pandemic is historic and horrific and bears no meaningful resemblance or similarity to overcaution about taking pictures, because photos aren't a contagion.

There, I've said my off-topic yet personal piece. Resume.

Sorry to hear about your aunt, hope she overcomes the odds and makes a full recovery.

[Also, to expound on that, I'm not against the vaccines.  They have clearly been overwhelmingly safe and effective against Covid.  I'm against governmental mandates for them because that has the potential to turn into a very slippery slope.]

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This 32 story office building now mainly occupied by Duke Energy will be 80-90% VACANT when the new DEP building is done.   My idea would be this: convert most of the floors to apartments and maybe the lower floors with hotel rooms.  I just don't see this building going on as an office tower with the flight to quality AA newer buildings.  We did this with 230 S Tryon converted the old NC Federal Northwestern Mutual building into condos.   We don't need a vacant office tower on our skyline like New Orleans (45 story  Plaza Tower vacant before Katrina and still is)  , Memphis (their tallest building 37 stories 100 N Main ) and even a vacant huge tower in St Louis (44 story vacant AT&T building)    (something is in the water along that Mississippi River as all these buildings are along the river) 

In Dallas they turned a 36 story vacant office building into the Gables Republic tower apartments.  We need to be thinking about this for this tower.   Any new tenant would want a newer building with balconies, LEED certs, etc.  

Last 2 photos 230 S Tryon a condo tower formerly NC Federal's HQ.  

IMG_3770.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

You're right about getting in front of some of these usage changes and promoting the idea of them as residential.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I was out and about in Uptown this weekend and the atmosphere was very energetic, probably from The Rolling Stones concert. I did hear multiple people complaining about the lack of food options open during the day. 

Uptown on Friday afternoon was the most lively it had felt in a while.

• Like 1

The only restaurants I know of not open in Uptown are the higher end options during lunch at this point. I think a small number in Overstreet aren't reopen but even that's changing (Showmars & Panera both recently reopened). 

One issue to reckon will be the ones that closed entirely, like Amelies Uptown or Jason's Deli.  I'm still holding out hope Amelie's will reopen that location. 

• Like 4

I just mentioned this for 400 South Tryon for a conversion to apartments due to the fact it will be mostly empty when the new Duke Energy Plaza opens. 

Here is national story written by Ashley Fahey formerly of CLT Biz Journal.

More than 20,000 apartment-conversion units are slated to deliver this year. A growing number are in old office buildings. - The Business Journals (bizjournals.com)

""Yardi Matrix found, of all the converted apartments delivering this year and that finished in 2020, 41% are in former office buildings, the most of any property type.  It's a more challenging, and expensive, conversion project but one that's increased in popularity since the pandemic.    Paynter said, generally speaking, office buildings dating back to the 1960s and 1970s, when floorplate sizes were smaller and contained more shallow footprints, are the most ideal buildings for conversion into housing. Buildings from the 1980s and 1990s tend to have much larger floorplates in comparison.  Historically, developers would pursue office-to-residential conversions in markets that saw a sudden surge in vacancy, likely from a major company or industry shuttering offices.""

400 South Tryon built in 1974 so it might be perfect according to this article. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
43 minutes ago, kermit said:

Not Charlotte (yet), but if true it may have lots of local implications:

79272640-F1BF-4028-B806-3A4141C1461B.png

An alternate angle photo shows that specific building to be just those two masses (in other words, there's no short mass on the other side we're not seeing) so it's one of the few buildings in Peachtree Center that would be perfect for apartments. If those windows are 3' wide or so, you're looking at about a 30' depth for each mass, which is perfect if you put your corridors down the center.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

What does everyone make of this? It seems odd to me. Didn't they rezone large swaths of land along blue line because of location (next to transit) instead of specific site plans?  This seems like awkward political posturing to out Tepper as potential buyer or something.  Also, someone alluded to there being a public/private partnership in the works with Tepper that might result in a few high rises?  I assumed that was here, but if so, and there is a public/private partnership being negotiated, a UMUD rezoning in Uptown seems like a weird thing to protest. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/11/05/cbj-morning-buzz-charlotte-pipe-rezoning.html

charlottepipe.PNG.017fd5f5fb572663701c012d1ce2488b.PNG