Misc. Uptown Projects/News

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

109 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lifeless to alive in just a couple of years.

on topic but miniaturized... my wife 3d printed a copy of the uptown skyline for me!     Hurst was not ‘Hursted’, but check out those accurately reproduced surface lots! (actually

Per Charlotte Ledger, the land at 4th and Brevard across from CTC sold for $11M.   This is the Norfolk Southern land they were slow to let go of.    I am incredibly excited about this.  White Point Pa

Posted Images

Is there a real reason that security doesn't want people to take pictures on their property?

Legacy Union, Ally, BOA Corporate Center all have ridiculous security who barely even let you get a camera up to your eyes before they stop you. Truist has gotten better, they'll come over and talk/hang out and have no issues with photography.

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Mgelbach said:

Is there a real reason that security doesn't want people to take pictures on their property?

Legacy Union, Ally, BOA Corporate Center all have ridiculous security who barely even let you get a camera up to your eyes before they stop you. Truist has gotten better, they'll come over and talk/hang out and have no issues with photography.

Prevention of terrorism more than likely.

3 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Which I call BS.  PPL take pictures in NYC and any big city really anytime they want.  I understand this protocol was probably initiated after 9/11 but security uptown is too tight.  Google Earth is more of a threat to a city than a Nikon DSLR.  The city tries so hard to attract tourist from all over, yet dont want them taking pictures of our landmarks...yup, makes sense... If I'm not mistaken, if you're on a public sidewalk, you can photograph or film whatever you'd like (could be some nuance in there but that was my general understanding).  

Hence my comment about loiterings/homeless, but being given the order to not discriminate, so they ask everyone to leave... That way they can say we ask all sorts of people to move on. 

I don't know if it matters, but when security stopped me at Ally they said they were specifically told to not allow people to take pictures. nothing about loitering.

After I told them I was working with a company who is working with the building she said they were going to check with them and if they denied it, the security camera footage of my face would be saved and they would call the cops if I was on the premises taking pictures again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, Mgelbach said:

Everyone is so freaking paranoid about literally everything.  Can't take a picture of some building because it's a national security issue.  Can't go to a climbing center without signing your life away.  Can't go into a restaurant without proof of vaccination.  Etc.  I'm not saying we should all be running around willy nilly doing whatever comes to mind, but there are way too many people obsessed with covering their a$$es and minimizing anything unpleasant happening to them (no matter how unlikely) that we're all forgetting how to just live.  Rant over.

On a more related note, I have been told by security in North Hills not to take pictures of buildings due to "branding".  Sorry but this does not make any more sense than "terrorism".  Someone please explain to me how preventing photography minimizes terrorism.  There are pictures of every company's buildings all over the internet, and Google Earth lets you pinpoint exactly where every building is in each city, and usually will let you toggle around in a 3D view.  I find it hard to believe that a terrorist trying to blow up a building is going to conspicuously be taking pics of it.

• Like 2

The compromise in recent years of a more inclusive society has been removing discretion in assumptions and willing to mitigate risks by restricting individual rights 

If security let's stereotypical looking banker bro stand in a private plaza and shoot a picture of the building where they work to send to a friend, how does security then justify stopping stereotypical looking terrorist bro from standing in same plaza next to building taking a picture of the access card reader system to send to terrorist friend.

For better or worse, we as a society would rather err on restricting rights, than empower discretion that could either intentionally or accidentally be viewed as discriminatory.

• Like 2
32 minutes ago, Eightane said:

I agree about the first two of those, but vaccination is headed towards being *rightfully* mandatory. As I type this my aunt is in a hospital, intubated, and has been given a 20% chance to live. She is unvaccinated. This pandemic is historic and horrific and bears no meaningful resemblance or similarity to overcaution about taking pictures, because photos aren't a contagion.

There, I've said my off-topic yet personal piece. Resume.

Really sorry to hear about your aunt. Treatments have improved, so I hope for the best.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Eightane said:

I agree about the first two of those, but vaccination is headed towards being *rightfully* mandatory. As I type this my aunt is in a hospital, intubated, and has been given a 20% chance to live. She is unvaccinated. This pandemic is historic and horrific and bears no meaningful resemblance or similarity to overcaution about taking pictures, because photos aren't a contagion.

There, I've said my off-topic yet personal piece. Resume.

Sorry to hear about your aunt, hope she overcomes the odds and makes a full recovery.

[Also, to expound on that, I'm not against the vaccines.  They have clearly been overwhelmingly safe and effective against Covid.  I'm against governmental mandates for them because that has the potential to turn into a very slippery slope.]

• Thanks 2
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This 32 story office building now mainly occupied by Duke Energy will be 80-90% VACANT when the new DEP building is done.   My idea would be this: convert most of the floors to apartments and maybe the lower floors with hotel rooms.  I just don't see this building going on as an office tower with the flight to quality AA newer buildings.  We did this with 230 S Tryon converted the old NC Federal Northwestern Mutual building into condos.   We don't need a vacant office tower on our skyline like New Orleans (45 story  Plaza Tower vacant before Katrina and still is)  , Memphis (their tallest building 37 stories 100 N Main ) and even a vacant huge tower in St Louis (44 story vacant AT&T building)    (something is in the water along that Mississippi River as all these buildings are along the river) 

In Dallas they turned a 36 story vacant office building into the Gables Republic tower apartments.  We need to be thinking about this for this tower.   Any new tenant would want a newer building with balconies, LEED certs, etc.  

Last 2 photos 230 S Tryon a condo tower formerly NC Federal's HQ.  

IMG_3770.JPG

IMG_3771.JPG

IMG_3772.JPG

IMG_3820.JPG

IMG_3821.JPG

You're right about getting in front of some of these usage changes and promoting the idea of them as residential.

• Like 3

I was out and about in Uptown this weekend and the atmosphere was very energetic, probably from The Rolling Stones concert. I did hear multiple people complaining about the lack of food options open during the day. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

I was out and about in Uptown this weekend and the atmosphere was very energetic, probably from The Rolling Stones concert. I did hear multiple people complaining about the lack of food options open during the day. 

Uptown on Friday afternoon was the most lively it had felt in a while.

• Like 1