Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

36 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

What does everyone make of this? It seems odd to me. Didn't they rezone large swaths of land along blue line because of location (next to transit) instead of specific site plans?  This seems like awkward political posturing to out Tepper as potential buyer or something.  Also, someone alluded to there being a public/private partnership in the works with Tepper that might result in a few high rises?  I assumed that was here, but if so, and there is a public/private partnership being negotiated, a UMUD rezoning in Uptown seems like a weird thing to protest. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2021/11/05/cbj-morning-buzz-charlotte-pipe-rezoning.html

charlottepipe.PNG.017fd5f5fb572663701c012d1ce2488b.PNG

I think it is political posturing because Tepper has them by the huevos. The amount of development associated with what Tepper is considering is huge, and will bring a 1000s of more people living in the uptown/Southend market. This is local government trying to get a little say in what will be a transformational project likely the size of LU/Gateway/Library combined. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Told y'all I was everywhere today.  Here is the 101 Independence tower at the Square and this new retail storefronts look great.   It looks like Ally Bank Center storefronts no surpise since it is Crescent who is doing this reno. 

IMG_4718.JPG

IMG_4719.JPG

Isn’t a Shake Shack going here? It still hasn’t officially been announced. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Interesting.  Look's like this was a LaVecchia restaurant that was in downtown Gastonia that closed several years ago.  I guess it's being "brought back to life" here.

Huh.

Wasn’t the tenant before QCQ a LeVecchia seafood place?

Looks like Interstate Tower (is it even called that anymore?) is getting into the color-changing LED game.  They’ve got it doing all kinds of flashing color gymnastics at the very top.  Was purple for this pic, now red.   It’s a subtle effect to say the least.  My phone camera is exaggerating the brightness/effect.   Last night when they were red, I thought they were the FAA lights someone had turned on  
http://content.invisioncic.com/x329420/monthly_2021_11/3D663D6A-E13A-4929-B3E6-A05D137D9B6B.thumb.jpeg.23b1293e18ffb2d14485e709d627909f.jpeg

Are you sure that’s not just Truist’s glow stick reflecting of that building lol
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, DMann said:

KJH, it is probably more a case of not being able to find staff to work the tables.

Love the 101 project and thanks for the photos.  Can only hope for more of such ground-level enhancements.  Had a convo recently about the role of large-scale government projects in the timing of urban improvements.  This person stated that if the silver line were to be brought into the center of uptown, underground, for delivery in 20 years, we would basically see uptown’s evolution stalled for 20 years while everyone awaits the outcome of such disruptive construction.  Sure there’d be plenty renderings, but whenever some major plan gets announced, you can count on a “stall factor” in the surrounding environment as developers and other actors wait and see.  I am wondering if this CTC burial project means nothing significant will be done with epicenter until that’s all sorted out, which I’m guessing will be a 10-year undertaking…Any thoughts on this stall factor issue?

Edited by RANYC

12 hours ago, DMann said:

KJH, it is probably more a case of not being able to find staff to work the tables.

No I think it is lack of uptown workers who would stop by for lunch and or dinner at these places.  Uptown has had a worst time since it is still not even close to its pre pandemic dynamic.  Yes workers and higher food costs may play into the factor but lack of customers is even worse. 

• Like 1