Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

3 hours ago, j-man said:

I think that it's safe to bring back up a topic that I brought up maybe a year or two ago. Uptown and Charlotte in general needs to focus a lot more on entertainment and attractions just as much as they are with building all of these residential and office towers. I'm finding that if a certain event isn't happening or coming to the city that there is little to nothing that separates this city from the others, especially the ones of this size. Im not saying that there isn't anything do but in a sense that is what I am saying. I'm still wishing for an uptown Aquarium, or a permanent outdoor fair/carnival type thing. Restaurants at the ground floor of apartments cannot be all this city is getting added for excitement. The epicenter to me is a great concept but just wasn't executed right from its buildout, and look at it now, just dead. 

We do have museums, a new library soon to be under construction, pro sports venues.  I'm not against the idea of an aquarium or biodome, but Charlotte is doing ok.   Personally, I quite like the idea of Uptown as just another premier Charlotte neighborhood, but one where  the pedestrian reigns supreme, where there's a ton of focus on green innovation, and where its density of professionals and creators make it the region's center for innovation, invention, and differentiation.  We have our civic district, and we have the largest venues in the region where our people can gather for major events.  No theme park required though.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

I also want an aquarium, and an even bigger history museum, maybe even one that combines The Charlotte Museum of History with the Levine Museum of the New South in a new location that focuses on both the broad “new south” and uses our own history as a case study. These could both be built on some of the First Ward land near Imaginon.  A bigger and better Discovery Place with a high rise on top can replace the current one and together these would create a concentration of civic attractions between 5th and 6th street.

In addition I think we have the potential to be one of the most active outdoor friendly cities in the country. I see continued expansion of the USNWC with perhaps new active outdoor activities near the Catawba like zip-lining, ATV trails, a giant saltwater pool, etc. We also have the highest percentage of floodplain of any major city in America, which could help make us the eventual leader in greenways per sq mi upon completion of the system. Lastly we have opportunities to create more urban accessible parks, like the proposed Queen’s Park, cap parks,  or even a green necklace replacing 277 and/or brookshire. Even then I can’t say these things would make us cool or a tourist attraction, but they would make Charlotte a better place to live, and I think we’ve always prioritized our own citizens’ quality of life.

Edited by Guest

On 12/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, j-man said:

I think that it's safe to bring back up a topic that I brought up maybe a year or two ago. Uptown and Charlotte in general needs to focus a lot more on entertainment and attractions just as much as they are with building all of these residential and office towers. I'm finding that if a certain event isn't happening or coming to the city that there is little to nothing that separates this city from the others, especially the ones of this size. Im not saying that there isn't anything do but in a sense that is what I am saying. I'm still wishing for an uptown Aquarium, or a permanent outdoor fair/carnival type thing. Restaurants at the ground floor of apartments cannot be all this city is getting added for excitement. The epicenter to me is a great concept but just wasn't executed right from its buildout, and look at it now, just dead. 

I thought the golddistrict was gonna fill this need. If not then why not. Most attractions are rooted in some kind of history. It would be a shame for Charlotte not to capitalize on the gold rush/mint city theme.  Maybe UPers need to make some noise about it.  How bout opening up on of those mine shafts...Of course just for show and no tours or maybe.  I dont know I've been in salt mines in Poland and they made it work.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

How bout opening up on of those mine shafts...Of course just for show and no tours or maybe.

I'm pretty sure all (or nearly all) of the old shafts are now flooded and would require constant pumping to make entry possible. I'm willing to bet that wouldn't be cheap and most certainly wouldn't be attempted unless there was the possibility to recoup that investment with tourist dollars. I know I would absolutely take a tour of them given the chance. 

7 hours ago, NcSc74 said:

I thought the golddistrict was gonna fill this need. If not then why not. Most attractions are rooted in some kind of history. It would be a shame for Charlotte not to capitalize on the gold rush/mint city theme.  Maybe UPers need to make some noise about it.  How bout opening up on of those mine shafts...Of course just for show and no tours or maybe.  I dont know I've been in salt mines in Poland and they made it work.

One of the biggest mines was on the Charlotte Pipe and Foundry land. It's just begging to be used since those guys will be leaving, eventually. 

Remember this?

https://www.wbtv.com/2019/02/22/experts-say-hole-under-charlotte-couples-home-likely-old-mine-shaft-gold/

Most mines were small workings and unrecorded. If you had gold reserves in your property that were accessible by shovel would you want to list this on a public property site? 200 years later this haunts homeowner. 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2021 at 11:54 PM, TheOneRJ said:

An aquarium is the easiest, most logical attraction that Charlotte currently lacks. Like it isn’t that difficult. 

Yessss.. I don't see why this city wouldn't have one. That one in Concord just doesn't count. lol I personally think that an Aquarium would do well in the Brooklyn Village redevelopment project. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 3

Looks like the historic Barringer Hotel aka Hall House will be demolished.  One of the reasons I think Southend is becoming the hot spot for corporate offices, retail and restaurants is a sense of authenticity.  Here you have a city agency with City Council approval tearing down a historical hotel that could be renovated into something even a hotel again.  Yet Inlivian is so shortsighted we are getting a stick built apartment complex on N Tryon across from a 10 story office building.   This infuriates me to no end.  I will just keep going to Southend and spend my money with its mixed of old and new.   as I have said NO OTHER Carolina city would take down this building.  

Inlivian receives approval of $17 million bond for uptown affordable-housing project - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

""The 12-story building that is currently onsite, Hall House, once served as public housing. But Fulton Meachem, president and CEO of Inlivian, said during a Mecklenburg Commissioner meeting earlier this year that the building will be demolished for the project.""

I basically have no hope for that end of uptown with this kind of  myopic thinking.  

Barringer Hotel | Charlotte Mecklenburg Story (cmstory.org)

CP_2004_04_509.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 10

The only things the city is going to do in terms of uptown is continue to approve apartments the majority of the population cannot afford; or condos with the same predicament. What becomes of an area with such a lack of diversity? Bland/boring people in bed by 8:00, no creativity other than suits and bow ties, and a majority population of pseudo-intellectual pompous wind bags. What tourist would willingly visit an area like that without having a reason? i.e. sports events, concerts and conventions. 

Edited by APS89294
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, APS89294 said:

The only things the city is going to do in terms of uptown is continue to approve apartments the majority of the population cannot afford; or condos with the same predicament. What becomes of an area with such a lack of diversity? Bland/boring people in bed by 8:00, no creativity other than suits and bow ties, and a majority population of pseudo-intellectual pompous wind bags. What tourist would willingly visit an area like that without having a reason? i.e. sports events, concerts and conventions. 

Jesus Christ.  I compliment a ward in uptown and now uptown is being over-run by "pompous wind bags?"

What do you suggest the city do?  The apartments are only getting built because there's a market for them.  How would you have the city exclude these pseudo-intellects?

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

21 minutes ago, APS89294 said:

It seems as I've struck a nerve with a user that isn't really worth quoting or attacking as they've done with me. Carry on everyone :tw_smile:

Why not advocate for a wider variety of housing product and for inclusivity, than to crap on the people who are there through grossly inaccurate generalizations?  By the way, nurses, physician assistants, even people working in social services and homeless shelters often get to bed early to be up early and alert for intense jobs engaging the public.

• Thanks 1

actually I would love a continuation of what is in existing in First Ward.  Some mid rise apartments and yes condos, townhomes for sale etc.  on some of those empty blocks and yes with all price points.  

Pompous windbags can be found metro wide I can assure you.  (but I dont see many wearing ties really) 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1