Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Doing a bit of reading into downtown revitalization metrics.  Couple items have come up so far:

-regional surveys to gauge public sentiment about the city center/urban core and measuring such sentiments year over year to gauge downtown’s progress. 

-foot traffic tech tools to measure the amount and consistency of pedestrian foot traffic at various points in downtown to give hints as to the extent of streetscape and public space activation 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tozmervo said:

For the Uptown retail boosters out there, I would remind you that the museum shops are there & are excellent spots for buying gifts. Much more interesting items than you would ever hope to find at South Park. 

True. Discovery place has had some unique and interesting items for young people and adults as well.

• Like 1

For my job I have access to these Fintech tools you mention to measure foot traffic.  Have looked at Nov 2019 vs 2021 at malls across the country.  One consistent observation was California and younger demographic markets recovery in foot traffic less than non-costal markets.... Springfield, MA for instance was > 90% back, while nowhere in CA was 85%.  We ascribe this to CA having the highest % adoption rate of online shopping.

I think there is something cautionary in that data as it relates to stroll districts, but that wasn't what I was looking for explicitly (also it's harder to tell cell phone of shopper vs cell of office worker upstairs apart in a dense mixed use environment...but def possible).

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2021 at 3:31 PM, atlrvr said:

For my job I have access to these Fintech tools you mention to measure foot traffic.  Have looked at Nov 2019 vs 2021 at malls across the country.  One consistent observation was California and younger demographic markets recovery in foot traffic less than non-costal markets.... Springfield, MA for instance was > 90% back, while nowhere in CA was 85%.  We ascribe this to CA having the highest % adoption rate of online shopping.

I think there is something cautionary in that data as it relates to stroll districts, but that wasn't what I was looking for explicitly (also it's harder to tell cell phone of shopper vs cell of office worker upstairs apart in a dense mixed use environment...but def possible).

Is an urban core streetscape bustling with walkers and strollers a worthy goal for center city?  

Should we use more specific metrics around the progress of streetscape vitality in uptown?

Edited by RANYC

I know that this is random, but does anyone know or think that there is a benefit to most of the uptown sidewalks being red/brown brick? I was just thinking about how dull they can look at times from a pedestrians perspective. I was wondering would grey brick bring to life the atmosphere Uptown or any urban part of the city.  And could something be done to not have the trees lift it up because its so difficult at times walking in any downtown area without tripping up over the tree roots. This photo is just an example of what I think should be laid instead of such dark brick. 

sidewalk-repair-project-in-nyc-7.jpg

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

I guess I could be the minority but I would visit an aquarium often and do frequent our existing museums as a resident. Feels like a reductive argument to me personally. If residents are discouraged from visiting in some way then I’d look first at programming and who it’s targeted to rather than any inherent nature of museums/aquarium etc.  

I agree with Spartan - activating the streetscape for pedestrians through daily and weekly uses is something that can happen over a wide area of uptown, on nearly every block, and would give that something  special, a type of latent energy and allure.

Im not opposed to an aquarium, but I see his point.  Aquarium and other “big box” attractions are sort of “on the nose,” and aren’t likely to have the effect I think we want.  If we didn’t have a pro football stadium, I imagine many of us would be saying we need one in uptown to turbo-charge it.  Perhaps at some point a pro-basketball arena was thought to be a linchpin activating element for uptown.  

I lived in NYC for ages, and while there are nodes that draw masses of tourists, some of the gems of city-living were those smallish, divey, hole-in-the-wall spaces.   

A separate issue I have with “big-box” attractions in uptown is that while we are a car-centric region (which isn’t changing any time soon), then we will likely build ramps and tons of parking to accommodate how most patrons will get to them (like an aquarium), which will rob uptown of the type of enchanted urbanity that I’d love for it to manifest.

• Like 4

An aquarium would be nice to have in uptown. I mean an aquarium is like a museum. It is a museum of life that anyone can go to and enjoy. I wouldn’t say it is simply any other attraction for tourists. The aquarium won’t fix everything but I think that it is a piece in the puzzle. I love going to the aquarium because it is dynamic and while it may have the same things it isn’t guaranteed to stay static. It is fun to explore.

Why go uptown if there really isn’t nothing to do. Uptown isn’t a shopping district because malls pulled retail away so foot traffic of course is lower. (It’s hard to convince retail to setup shop where there isn’t already heavy foot traffic which malls inherently have). The retail spots are expensive which take local businesses out of the picture because they can’t afford it. low foot traffic makes it hard for those local business to even survive even if they were financially able to take a gamble in uptown. Retail loves to cluster with other business or where there are a lot of people already.

Some people here have mentioned subsidies for retail and that could definitely help attract business that otherwise couldn’t afford to lease the space. I think its a great idea.

I think parks are attractions themselves I have gone to Romare Bearden Park and First ward as well. They are great places to hang out and visit. That is something Charlotte is doing a great job in providing gathering places. Tryon I think has quite a bit of foot traffic anytime I have strolled down it. Sometimes more on some days than others. I think nearing stonewall there is a dead zone. I have noticed it becomes soulless very quickly somedays and it is likely due in the break in retail there is between MLK jr BLVD and Stonewall. Perhaps the retail under DEP will help with that (if it gets filled with decent retail).

Diversity in many cases always looks beautiful and always works best. In the case or urban and street activation diversity in retail and attractions is key and adding an aquarium may not fix everything but it will surely help not hinder. This is all assuming it is designed also in a pedestrian fashion and that is also key. (There’s enough parking outside in uptown and I am pretty sure you can force people to do something despite the idea that you must cave into customer commodities. Easily accessible by car doesn’t have to be the case. Just look at the Panther’s stadium… Despite it not being surrounded by expansive surface parking lot people still find ways to get there. Also on that note I hope when the new stadium is built. it doesn’t come with large parking lots…especially if a light rail station is planned to be at its door step.

I will say I am anti-suburban mall! I found it more enjoyable to walk downtown Wilmington than walking through the terminals at south park…or concord mills… or north lake… Premium outlets was better, but so out of the way in the “middle of nothing” have only gone thrice?

Apologies for the rant, I didn’t expect it to be this long so I’ll cut it off here. Uptown just has a heavy office presence with not much of anything else aside from sports venues and the fact that Charlotte’s “attractions” are decentralized and far apart, dispersing people instead of bringing them together.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 9:40 AM, JeanClt said:

Charlottesville. The better Charlotte? (Lol)

What Tryon should look like?

Yeah. Charlotte would really benefit from closing off some of Tryon or Trade to create a more permanent strolling district, but I cannot see it happening.  Overall, it seems like Charlotte has invested a lot in attractions around town. I'd rather see the marginal dollar going towards our education or park/greenway system than another attraction Uptown right now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JeanClt said:

An aquarium would be nice to have in uptown. I mean an aquarium is like a museum. It is a museum of life that anyone can go to and enjoy. I wouldn’t say it is simply any other attraction for tourists. The aquarium won’t fix everything but I think that it is a piece in the puzzle. I love going to the aquarium because it is dynamic and while it may have the same things it isn’t guaranteed to stay static. It is fun to explore.

Why go uptown if there really isn’t nothing to do. Uptown isn’t a shopping district because malls pulled retail away so foot traffic of course is lower. (It’s hard to convince retail to setup shop where there isn’t already heavy foot traffic which malls inherently have). The retail spots are expensive which take local businesses out of the picture because they can’t afford it. low foot traffic makes it hard for those local business to even survive even if they were financially able to take a gamble in uptown. Retail loves to cluster with other business or where there are a lot of people already.

Some people here have mentioned subsidies for retail and that could definitely help attract business that otherwise couldn’t afford to lease the space. I think its a great idea.

I think parks are attractions themselves I have gone to Romare Bearden Park and First ward as well. They are great places to hang out and visit. That is something Charlotte is doing a great job in providing gathering places. Tryon I think has quite a bit of foot traffic anytime I have strolled down it. Sometimes more on some days than others. I think nearing stonewall there is a dead zone. I have noticed it becomes soulless very quickly somedays and it is likely due in the break in retail there is between MLK jr BLVD and Stonewall. Perhaps the retail under DEP will help with that (if it gets filled with decent retail).

Diversity in many cases always looks beautiful and always works best. In the case or urban and street activation diversity in retail and attractions is key and adding an aquarium may not fix everything but it will surely help not hinder. This is all assuming it is designed also in a pedestrian fashion and that is also key. (There’s enough parking outside in uptown and I am pretty sure you can force people to do something despite the idea that you must cave into customer commodities. Easily accessible by car doesn’t have to be the case. Just look at the Panther’s stadium… Despite it not being surrounded by expansive surface parking lot people still find ways to get there. Also on that note I hope when the new stadium is built. it doesn’t come with large parking lots…especially if a light rail station is planned to be at its door step.

I will say I am anti-suburban mall! I found it more enjoyable to walk downtown Wilmington than walking through the terminals at south park…or concord mills… or north lake… Premium outlets was better, but so out of the way in the “middle of nothing” have only gone thrice?

Apologies for the rant, I didn’t expect it to be this long so I’ll cut it off here. Uptown just has a heavy office presence with not much of anything else aside from sports venues and the fact that Charlotte’s “attractions” are decentralized and far apart, dispersing people instead of bringing them together.

You bring up an interesting point about Uptown.  Say a post-covid world is one of widespread flex work and people gathering, en masse, in offices as part of a daily routine goes away.  What other purpose does Uptown serve and is there widespread agreement on that purpose?  Why is uptown important if not as a mega-office park?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Desert Power said:

Yeah. Charlotte would really benefit from closing off some of Tryon or Trade to create a more permanent strolling district, but I cannot see it happening.  Overall, it seems like Charlotte has invested a lot in attractions around town. I'd rather see the marginal dollar going towards our education or park/greenway system than another attraction Uptown right now.

CORE CITY PARKS OR PUBLIC SQUARES?

https://www.visitknoxville.com/blog/post/10-things-to-know-about-market-square/

Some folks on twitter were gushing over Knoxville, TN's Historic Market Square and lamenting that Charlotte doesn't seem to have a comparable urban element.  It got me to questioning a number of things. 

• Uptown has signature, anchor parks in most if not all wards, so certainly there are places to gather, but is that enough?   Would hard-scaped squares be preferred or more interesting?
  • We have Brevard Court - why does that not really stack up against Knoxville's Market Square, strictly just a matter of scale or something else?
  • What exactly distinguishes a core city park from a public square?
  • Is a public square special because it is hard-scaped?  Or is a public square special because it is, in theory, lined with retail uses along its sides so that people get the benefits of having a place to gather and stroll and see public art, but then there's also adjacent shopping and eating and entertainment?
  • If public squares are a type of intentional open space for the public, should our Parks Department include them in its repertoire?
Edited by RANYC

15 minutes ago, RANYC said:

CORE CITY PARKS OR PUBLIC SQUARES?

https://www.visitknoxville.com/blog/post/10-things-to-know-about-market-square/

Some folks on twitter were gushing over Knoxville, TN's Historic Market Square and lamenting that Charlotte doesn't seem to have a comparable urban element.  It got me to questioning a number of things. 

• Uptown has signature, anchor parks in most if not all wards, so certainly there are places to gather, but is that enough?   Would hard-scaped squares be preferred or more interesting?
  • We have Brevard Court - why does that not really stack up against Knoxville's Market Square, strictly just a matter of scale or something else?
  • What exactly distinguishes a core city park from a public square?
  • Is a public square special because it is hard-scaped?  Or is a public square special because it is, in theory, lined with retail uses along its sides so that people get the benefits of having a place to gather and stroll and see public art, but then there's also adjacent shopping and eating and entertainment?
  • If public squares are a type of intentional open space for the public, should our Parks Department include them in its repertoire?

The main difference I see is size and connectivity. When the Arcade is locked, you only have one entrance to Brevard Court and it can be quite narrow if people are congregating at a table or outdoor TV. It is a specific destination to go vs a place to stroll or scooter/bike through. It is also really cool.

I do think that ability to have a wide, paved space integrated with retail is key. The parks we have in Charlotte are all set across the street from any other retail, which makes them have a different feel. Most of the squares or plazas we do have are controlled by private security of an office building and not particularly accessible to all or outside of banking hours.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spartan said:

Exactly. I'm not anti-aquarium - I just don't think it's a silver bullet for uptown's problems anymore than a Hall of Fame. You can put a Ripley's in the mountains and people will go to it - but if you put one in Charlotte does that concept add to what makes Charlotte Charlotte, or does it let us keep with our de facto motto of "We're a big city, too." So sure, add a few more major destinations and take a swing at some more Halls of Fame that may or may not pan out. I just think if we have all the same attractions Atlanta, Houston, and Nashville have, then what makes us unique and why come here? IMO, the answer is the urban fabric.  All of those people need to have something to do before and after they go to the show, and that can't happen in a bank lobby or in a parking deck. My only point here is that by starting with activating street edges and making the city a great place to walk, it makes the city a better place for the people who live here today, and might help an aquarium or other type of business want to locate here without incentives, and strictly because its an awesome city.

I totally agree with you on that! Definitely see your point. I think the next thing is to talk about what makes Charlotte..Charlotte. At its core and expand on that. I have been advocating for an aquarium but in all honestly this city doesn't come to mind when I think about the ocean or any water for that matter lol. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 10:06 AM, RANYC said:

Can 4th ward be the model for what we do in other parts of center city?  I find it a stunning, dense, canopied, urban neighborhood.  Super livable.  Super walkable.  Mix of architectures.  Great building-to-street interactions.  Can we get a dozen more of these beyond uptown and all throughout center city?

Anyone want to truck in some more historic houses & buildings? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2