Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Many of you have lived here much longer.  Is the city being well-run at the moment?  Seems like I hear complaints everywhere.  Mayor is up for reelection, but uncontested.  Also feels like she's largely a figurehead.  Isn't the city manager really the one manning the ship?

Many of you have lived here much longer.  Is the city being well-run at the moment?  Seems like I hear complaints everywhere.  Mayor is up for reelection, but uncontested.  Also feels like she's largely a figurehead.  Isn't the city manager really the one manning the ship?

Complaining about government is a common theme from sea to shining sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

We don't have a strong mayor system, her job is literally a figurehead job. That said she has career experience with the city of Charlotte, she was our budget director and assistant city manager for years before she ran. She knows this city very well, and is the only mayor in Charlotte history to previously be employed by the city government in a non-political capacity. But going back to the figurehead aspect, I'm pretty sure she still works on her consulting business for the majority of her income, and Charlotte mayor only makes 40K with a 20K expense account (essentially)

Edited by The Real Clayton
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, RANYC said:

Fiscally things continue to go well for the city. Charlotte is still AAA rated, something that Nashville, Atlanta, Columbia, Richmond, Orlando, Jacksonville, Arlington (VA), Dallas and Houston are not.  Despite fiscal stability, I am not at all convinced the city leadership is at all capable of planning for the future, although this has never been a strong suit. The departure of Taiwo, and his interim replacement coming from a real estate background, rather than a planning background, gives me some concerns about the UDO -- the only real effort the city has made to accommodate its growth since the Blue Line was conceived 25+ years ago (the Southend sewer capacity issues from a couple years ago being exhibit number 1 of lack of preparation).

Don't get me started on CATS and its ability to avoid accountability…

https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/210405-aaa-rated-u-s-municipalities-current-list-11905011

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, RANYC said:

Mayor as others have mentioned the role is part time and only so much can be expected beyond being a figurehead

City council despite campaigning on added focus to addressing the city's inequalities they operate mostly business as usual.  If you were expecting major social changes you're probably more upset then those that wanted to keep business as usual.  Seems like the same decisions are being made but under faux debate where some council members wax poetically about social issues before getting out the rubber stamp.  Not saying they don't do good work or have made some meaningful steps this is just my perception.

CATS is a train wreck (pun intended) and needs a leadership overhaul before starting another major transit project

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Mayor as others have mentioned the role is part time and only so much can be expected beyond being a figurehead

City council despite campaigning on added focus to addressing the city's inequalities they operate mostly business as usual.  If you were expecting major social changes you're probably more upset then those that wanted to keep business as usual.  Seems like the same decisions are being made but under faux debate where some council members wax poetically about social issues before getting out the rubber stamp.  Not saying they don't do good work or have made some meaningful steps this is just my perception.

CATS is a train wreck (pun intended) and needs a leadership overhaul before starting another major transit project

About CATS I agree, but it also seems that Charlotte/CATS is screwed because of a lack of major support from the state.  If you look at Atlanta (MARTA) and Denver (Fast Tracks), they had the benefit of Major State & Federal Support to develop their regional systems.  CATS is largely a City & County affair.

46 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

About CATS I agree, but it also seems that Charlotte/CATS is screwed because of a lack of major support from the state.  If you look at Atlanta (MARTA) and Denver (Fast Tracks), they had the benefit of Major State & Federal Support to develop their regional systems.  CATS is largely a City & County affair.

CATS gets federal funding as well for its transit projects.... you just need local support as well. The Federal Government contributed 50% of the capital cost of the new Phase 2 Gold Line for example. That's $75 million that the Federal government spent from taxes paid by people living across the country to go towards CATS operating a train unreliably and very slowly every 20 - 30 minutes for 1,300 people a day. 

The Federal Government could have also taken the $57,692 spent per rider and cut them a check to go buy a new Toyota, keep $20,000 for the down payment on a house, and have $10,000 left over to invest in the stock market. I'm sure the 1,300 riders would love that! When you throw in the city's contribution.... woah! Each rider cost $115,384 in total!

Edited by CLT2014

I mentioned in another thread that we have the progressive style of government with a professional city and county manager which eliminates the patronage issue in government. We are non union in most areas of the city government. Police and fire are non union, a major source of pressure in unionized cities. Education is a state responsibility reducing the distraction it would cause local government. As mentioned above our financial status is among the top rank. This is how many people determine "well run".  Professional managers of any kind should be eager to seek employment here due to these factors. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

I mentioned in another thread that we have the progressive style of government with a professional city and county manager which eliminates the patronage issue in government. We are non union in most areas of the city government. Police and fire are non union, a major source of pressure in unionized cities. Education is a state responsibility reducing the distraction it would cause local government. As mentioned above our financial status is among the top rank. This is how many people determine "well run".  Professional managers of any kind should be eager to seek employment here due to these factors. 

Thanks for that summary.  I like this structure in a sense.  Take Jacksonville, FL for example - the mayor is a “strong man” whose team often strong arms city council into things because he pulls so many other levers.  As frustratingly slow as CLT government can be at times, I like that power is so dispersed and the bureaucrats/administrators of government are somewhat insulated from the volatility of political moods.  Seems more like our council is a board of directors and the mayor is chairman of the board.  

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Blue_Devil said:

In all honesty, with interest rates so incredibly low, this is the time when Charlotte should be taking on some debt. 

In my opinion (and I live in Union County so feel free to ignore me), the only thing worth borrowing for would be a big bang transit spend (and it would still need taxpayer approval). Otherwise, revenue is strong based on increased property values. Building the Red and Silver lines would be worth selling bonds for, building a stadium, etc., would not.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blue_Devil said:

In all honesty, with interest rates so incredibly low, this is the time when Charlotte should be taking on some debt. 

Agreed, there was an interesting segment on John Oliver about this earlier in the year regarding National Debt when rates are so low and the debate economists are having

https://youtu.be/yq_E3HquRJY?t=941

31 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

Agreed, there was an interesting segment on John Oliver about this earlier in the year regarding National Debt when rates are so low and the debate economists are having

https://youtu.be/yq_E3HquRJY?t=941

I'll watch this (love both Oliver and Stewart!) but the problem with deficit spending on a national basis is that it becomes very difficult to increase interest rates to combat inflation (due to the deleterious effect on the debt). We are about to get a Masters course in this as a nation unfortunately...

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, JBS said:

I'll watch this (love both Oliver and Stewart!) but the problem with deficit spending on a national basis is that it becomes very difficult to increase interest rates to combat inflation (due to the deleterious effect on the debt). We are about to get a Masters course in this as a nation unfortunately...

Oh yes part of his segment specifically mentions the strategy works as long as inflation is kept in check.  Didn't want to give it all away :) 

• Like 1

On 1/3/2022 at 10:53 PM, kermit said:

Fiscally things continue to go well for the city. Charlotte is still AAA rated, something that Nashville, Atlanta, Columbia, Richmond, Orlando, Jacksonville, Arlington (VA), Dallas and Houston are not.  Despite fiscal stability, I am not at all convinced the city leadership is at all capable of planning for the future, although this has never been a strong suit. The departure of Taiwo, and his interim replacement coming from a real estate background, rather than a planning background, gives me some concerns about the UDO -- the only real effort the city has made to accommodate its growth since the Blue Line was conceived 25+ years ago (the Southend sewer capacity issues from a couple years ago being exhibit number 1 of lack of preparation).

Don't get me started on CATS and its ability to avoid accountability…

https://www.spglobal.com/ratings/en/research/articles/210405-aaa-rated-u-s-municipalities-current-list-11905011

I wouldn't count Alyson Craig out.  She has a strong planning background which is evident in her work and work history.  By the way, she was the director of the Masters of Real Estate program at UNCC which means she wasn't exactly a real estate person just an education program director.  Prior to that she was a land use planning and zoning professional both in the public and private sectors. 

CATS is shielded by the COC (City of Charlotte) as it's a regional transit entity operated as a direct municipal department unlike peer systems. Until they separate, expect more of the same bs with a different day.  Blame the COC and its city council for that

Edited by kayman
  • Like 3

On 1/4/2022 at 8:48 AM, Hushpuppy321 said:

The State of NC only stopped supporting transit funding statewide when the GOP took over NCGA in the mid-to-late 2010s (see whe the supermajority was formed).  Although broken things arent going to straightened out until more newcomers and existing folks regularly vote for better officials to rep them across all urban areas statewide. Adds fuel to the fire that people need to vote the bad actors (the GOP) out of the majority in Raleigh to me. 

• Like 1

A fractured government does not work well and makes coordination/collaboration/goal setting exponentially more difficult. We have only minor problems getting the City and County to work together. Imagine if CATS, CLT Water, CFD, Parks & Rec, etc. were all different agencies with their own boards and elected (or worse, appointed, officials. See Atlanta or literally any local government in South Carolina. In Charlotte the local government can speak with one voice and respond to its residents much more efficiently. IMO, part of CLT's success is its reasonably well-run government.

We could use some more reasonable transparency with CATS. They won’t answer many questions from people reaching out.
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, kermit said:

$250 per month gets an eager young vendor a kiosk in downtown Atlanta. Seems like Uptown would be an even better space for these things (post covid of course). Why not give it a try?

C733EAD7-7BA8-4026-926E-EDAF0C650D72.jpeg

I think someone should forward this to Charlotte Central City Partners asap.  There are several areas of Uptown that could use more street level vendors that would yield more activity

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...