Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

18 hours ago, RANYC said:

Do we have a single residential project underway in Uptown at the moment?  All these housing needs in our area, all the allowance for as much density as you want in Uptown, and yet nothing?

Nope.  However there is a new apartment in the works for 7th and Tryon a high rise.  But not aware of any others currently proposed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

I believe there is still an affordable housing project planned in 1st Ward where the shotgun houses were on 7th.

Correct yes and of course the demolition of the Hall House by the Charlotte Housing Authority Inlivian I guess could be counted.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Nope.  However there is a new apartment in the works for 7th and Tryon a high rise.  But not aware of any others currently proposed. 

If you are counting this Public Private Partnership you gotta count the others, and theres 1,200 units at Brooklyn Village, 1,000 Units at Gateway and probably around 600 units at CTC. But this is certainly a very fair point. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The Real Clayton said:

If you are counting this Public Private Partnership you gotta count the others, and theres 1,200 units at Brooklyn Village, 1,000 Units at Gateway and probably around 600 units at CTC. But this is certainly a very fair point. 

I guess I was talking about projects starting in the next year this year. 

• Like 1

I have to think that momentum on Uptown residential development will come back quickly if/when people return to the office buildings. Currently, why would anyone pay a premium to live Uptown when they are working from home and the energy/excitement that previously existed in Uptown is only fractionally returned? Especially on the north and west sides of Uptown? If someone wants an urban lifestyle with a lot to do/restaurants/bars, they are looking at Southend currently. I don't think anyone REALLY knows what cities will be like post-pandemic. Frankly, I'm shocked that we're still seeing spec office buildings and hotels being built in and near Uptown (and that commercial buildings are selling for a premium). These folks are either visionaries or very, very stupid. 

My major Uptown employer has "fully returned" but employees are interpreting hybrid as maybe 1 or 2 days in the office... if any. Most managers, directors, et... want to work at home themselves and aren't really requiring people to be in so the building is maybe 15% full on any individual day. Some floors, not a single person is showing up. 
The goal was 3 days in from corporate, but that isn't even close to happening and people seem to really like working at home. I thought more people would show up in our return back this month and be excited, but people just aren't coming. Some people flat out have told their supervisors they will quit if they have to go in.... And managers know the job market is rough and replacing people is expensive so they are just allowing a "hybrid" employee to essentially come in once a month to keep their badge active.

I could be wrong, but I predict that will end in less flexibility, with companies dictating what those in office days must be (and noticing who doesn’t show up) rather than them backing off.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Confused 1

45 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

My major Uptown employer has "fully returned" but employees are interpreting hybrid as maybe 1 or 2 days in the office... if any. Most managers, directors, et... want to work at home themselves and aren't really requiring people to be in so the building is maybe 15% full on any individual day. Some floors, not a single person is showing up. 

The goal was 3 days in from corporate, but that isn't even close to happening and people seem to really like working at home. I thought more people would show up in our return back this month and be excited, but people just aren't coming. Some people flat out have told their supervisors they will quit if they have to go in.... And managers know the job market is rough and replacing people is expensive so they are just allowing a "hybrid" employee to essentially come in once a month to keep their badge active.

So the inmates are running the prison?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

I suspect we work for the same employer and my hesitation in returning is driven by the requirement of wearing masks if you're out on the floor. Even my ED stated he wouldn't be in if he didn't have an office. Looking forward to returning on a somewhat consistent basis but I have no desire to sit for 9 hours wearing a mask when I can work in the comfort of my home. 

That said, if a large majority had returned on the specified date, I presume we would have seen a couple positives within groups shut down the back to office experience once again so maybe the slow roll is the way to go.

• Like 1

Didn’t know where else to post this but here goes;  On Wikipedia, many Pier Cities promote their High-Rise density really well.  Some mention 161 High-Rise buildings and then specify those of taller note worthy height (like Tampa illustrated below).  My questions are - what qualifies as a High-Rise?  Seems like it depends on who you ask.

Tampa has 161 - 31 (250’ Tall and Taller) = 130 other highrises (lower than 250’) but what is the starting Height 100’ or anything over 1 story??

Charlotte has 36 (says 31 so that sentence needs updating) 300’ Tall & Taller which is impressive and 19 (between 200’ to 299’) but no mention/computation of any other highrises.  Tampa’s number of completed highrises is very impressive sounding indeed but seems like they either over-embellished  or Charlotte under sells itself concerning that.  So are the office buildings in Southpark & Ballantyne, etc. not included as Highrises because they are under 200’ Tall but would be considered Highrises if they were built in Tampa?

Sorry I’m being nerdy & anal - just had some free time on my hands.  I understand Wikipedia isn’t gospel but just seems that Charlotte is always a bit underrated/undersold even though it’s an awesome place…

2B1D7649-E4AB-4060-BE32-C5C5BD991ADC.jpeg

86C0D9F5-5B50-4C49-A08B-DBCFFA58A315.jpeg

4E9B3A08-F741-4201-9BD8-91B7C1F96D9E.jpeg

• Like 4

On 1/27/2022 at 11:45 AM, carolinaboy said:

So the inmates are running the prison?

That's a very offensive and dismissive statement. Workers' have a right to choose and aren't wage slaves. Most have lives full outside of work. If the major employers want quality workers then meet the employees current and prospective employees with options where they are. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/jobs/article257922603.html

Proof of this occurring because there are options of self-employment, other employers, or being a stay-at-home parent or caretaker because their respective spouse has a great career with a substantial income.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 4