Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

4 hours ago, Reverie39 said:

It might be minor but I believe small "marketing" things like this can matter in some ways. People want to live in and visit places they feel are important, impressive, and connected. Charlotte properly broadcasting its high-rises can affect that - while most people don't go around searching for # of high-rises on Wikipedia, who's to say that "Where Should You Live?" articles aren't quoting some of these figures? 

It's similar to a point I made a little while ago in the transit thread. I noticed that on Google Maps, the Lynx system is not shown in colored lines like almost every other transit system in the country is. Even other relatively new light rail lines (like Phoenix) have theirs shown. This sort of annoyed me because I wonder how many people are traveling through Charlotte, do a quick check of Google Maps to see how to get somewhere, and aren't even made aware of two rapid transit lines that exist in the city? Frankly I even wonder how many people living in the Charlotte area (mainly out in the suburbs) haven't even given Blue Line park and ride a second thought because they don't realize it goes exactly where they need to go? I think little things like this can matter in the long run. Most people aren't transit and urban planning nerds like us lol

You're right about our transit lines not showing up, which I'm a little ashamed to say I've never noticed until now.  Of course I know there are transit lines and how to get there, but certainly others may not.  I sent a feedback message to Google Maps asking them about the issue, so maybe something will happen?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, abttown said:

You're right about our transit lines not showing up, which I'm a little ashamed to say I've never noticed until now.  Of course I know there are transit lines and how to get there, but certainly others may not.  I sent a feedback message to Google Maps asking them about the issue, so maybe something will happen?

I did that too when I first noticed. I also brought this up in the transit (silver/red line) thread, and someone else said they had been talking to CATS about it, but I haven't heard anything since. I wonder what happened with that. Probably best to inquire/raise awareness in that thread. I think if we get enough people talking about it someone may know what to do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/3/2022 at 9:14 PM, Reverie39 said:

I did that too when I first noticed. I also brought this up in the transit (silver/red line) thread, and someone else said they had been talking to CATS about it, but I haven't heard anything since. I wonder what happened with that. Probably best to inquire/raise awareness in that thread. I think if we get enough people talking about it someone may know what to do.

Apply pressure by constantly emailing: [email protected][email protected] about the issues of real GTFS  information.  Also I recommend you call them out on their Facebook,  Twitter, and IG pages as well 

Edited by kayman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

On 1/12/2022 at 5:55 PM, kermit said:

$250 per month gets an eager young vendor a kiosk in downtown Atlanta. Seems like Uptown would be an even better space for these things (post covid of course). Why not give it a try?

C733EAD7-7BA8-4026-926E-EDAF0C650D72.jpeg

I can confirm CCCP has looked at this in the past, specifically converting the old bus shelters from de facto affordable housing into small kiosks. This was a year or so prior to the pandemic, so I'm assuming the pandemic threw a wrench in things. The lack of foot traffic has killed off basically all of the street vendor operations there (well, except Halal), so currently it doesn't make sense. It will be interesting to see how the post-pandemic work environment uptown changes... but IMO I see no reason not to stay bullish on uptown. 

IMO, even if though its likely the hybrid model will remain, people still want to be in CLT, so eventually the office buildings will fill back up.

• Like 4

I can attest that Tampa's cbd is not that tall but there are many "midrise" districts and yes bayside condo buildings scattered around the city.  However, there are multiple projects going on downtown  on or near parts of the old shipyard channels.  They still are not or wont be more than 300 feet tall.   Surprised Charlotte doesnt have more verticle residential construction going on.  I guess southend's gravity is sucking up the momentum.

• Like 4

That was put in when the bridge was changed from 2 lanes to 1 lane in each direction.  Speaking of direction, I would love to see all the downtown streets become 2 way!  It would clear up that terrible swap meet where 3rd and 4th merge to become a terrible way to get to the Belk Freeway.  It might also reduce some of the insane nighttime drag races through downtown.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, DMann said:

That was put in when the bridge was changed from 2 lanes to 1 lane in each direction.  Speaking of direction, I would love to see all the downtown streets become 2 way!  It would clear up that terrible swap meet where 3rd and 4th merge to become a terrible way to get to the Belk Freeway.  It might also reduce some of the insane nighttime drag races through downtown.

Agreed...and, I'd add, eliminate left turns through traffic. That would keep traffic from backing up while some guy tries cutting across. (people still do it in areas marked no left turn)

• Like 4

One Wells Fargo aka 301 South College aka the Jukebox has a new management team and some changes.

""Cushman & Wakefield will now handle leasing at One Wells Fargo Center, the 1 million-plus-square-foot tower at 301 South College St. Cushman's Jessica Brown and David Dorsch will lead leasing efforts for the approximately 400,000 square feet of space that's vacant at the building.  The building's landlord, Vision Properties, is completing significant renovations to the tower that cost around $10 million, CEO Fred Arena told the Charlotte Business Journal last week. The renovations come as longtime anchor tenant Wells Fargo & Co. (NYSE: WFC) left a large vacancy at the tower at the end of 2021.  One Wells Fargo Center might also undergo a rebrand, Arena said. It could be renamed 301 South College, as CBJ reported in 2020, depending on how the leasing process shakes out. The renovations include improvements to the tower's lobby and outdoor plaza. It also called for converting the top two floors of the 42-story tower into an amenity center that includes a lounge, meeting spaces and event space with balconies.""

those top floors were the old First Union exec levels.

Cushman & Wakefield to handle leasing for One Wells Fargo Center in uptown - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Some say Charlotte is not growing as fast as other sunbelt cities.  I counted 7 cranes on US 74 from Plaza Midwood to Uptown to the Gold district and I missed one or two but hey I was driving.  

I think that when the downtown of a city isn't growing, then that's when people say or believe that the city is not growing as fast. To be honest it does feel like that at times because Uptown's growth has slowed down drastically from the last few years, but of course most of the recent developments have completed in the last year or so. Duke,  the hotel near the Ellis, and the Theater are currently the only things that seem to be under construction right now, and Duke is the only one that actually seems to be changing the skyline. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, j-man said:

I think that when the downtown of a city isn't growing, then that's when people say or believe that the city is not growing as fast. To be honest it does feel like that at times because Uptown's growth has slowed down drastically from the last few years, but of course most of the recent developments have completed in the last year or so. Duke,  the hotel near the Ellis, and the Theater are currently the only things that seem to be under construction right now, and Duke is the only one that actually seems to be changing the skyline. 

Yeah, it is further odd because Duke is a bit covered up from a few angles. Still, I can look out my window from my desk and see two cranes up in Optimist Park. Probably adding another 5-600 housing units between them.

• Like 3