Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

11 hours ago, RANYC said:

Anyone have a status update on the redevelopment of the garage at Church & 3rd?  Seems that chain-link fencing and affixed renderings of ground-level retail have been up on the sidewalk for years at this point.  I mean, if your plans are abandoned, can we not have chain link fences on the sidewalk in the heart of the CBD? 

Could we also please re-develop that corner strip of parking lot next to Ink n Ivy ... thanks

• Like 3

I remember graduating from Charlotte in 2010, and between then and 2013, not much happened in terms of skyscrapers. We were all wondering when the boom would happen. And then we had Skye, Element, and Skyhouse finish in 2013, and after that, it's been every year at least one new "tower" built. It's really incredible to see the shift in Charlotte from when I graduated and it was doom and gloom from the recession, and now the city is just booming more than it was in the 2000s. 

And we had all the "small" tower developments that really kept the development going. Pretty incredible. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, RANYC said:

Anyone have a status update on the redevelopment of the garage at Church & 3rd?  Seems that chain-link fencing and affixed renderings of ground-level retail have been up on the sidewalk for years at this point.  I mean, if your plans are abandoned, can we not have chain link fences on the sidewalk in the heart of the CBD? 

Agree! That was the old shomars wasn’t? I’m still waiting for someone to develop the last remaining vacant lot next to the ascent. Great location flanked by romare and the ballpark. 

Retail wise for the area…I still can’t believe the element was built with no retail facing romare. Even the older catalyst has two spots mellowmushroom and 711. They have their workout gym on the ground level for some reason facing the park. They didn’t have room on their amenity deck level?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RANYC said:

Just got a text message: friends in Charlotte for the weekend.  Staying in uptown.  Thought about south end Camden outdoors but forecast is rainy and raw.  Anything fun or worth seeing in uptown proper-they’re health nuts and not drinkers?

If you want to venture to the Whitewater center, they are doing their green water this weekend. But yep, will be cold!

3 hours ago, RANYC said:

Just got a text message: friends in Charlotte for the weekend.  Staying in uptown.  Thought about south end Camden outdoors but forecast is rainy and raw.  Anything fun or worth seeing in uptown proper-they’re health nuts and not drinkers?

Optimist Hall could be a good lunch spot. There are some indoor mini golf options like Stroke in Plaza and arcade places like Pins Mechanical in South End. Mint Museum.
Check out reserving a igloo / globe at a rooftop... but $$$.

Depending on their tolerance for cold weather... they may or may not like the whitewater center. The weather this weekend looks too cold for me personally to have fun. Wind chill will be a factor as well (18 mph). 

Edited by CLT2014

2 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Optimist Hall could be a good lunch spot. There are some indoor mini golf options like Stroke in Plaza and arcade places like Pins Mechanical in South End. 

Depending on their tolerance for cold weather... they may or may not like the whitewater center. this weekend Weather looks too cold for me personally to have fun. 

I do sorta wish we had that uptown aquarium now :(…is 7th street market worth seeing?  She likes marketplaces with art and handicrafts…but that doesn’t exist in uptown, correct?

28 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I do sorta wish we had that uptown aquarium now :(…is 7th street market worth seeing?  She likes marketplaces with art and handicrafts…but that doesn’t exist in uptown, correct?

There isn't a market like that at scale in Uptown. 

Atherton Mill may be good to explore. They have a Farmer's Market Saturday mornings with vendors + all the stores. You come back to South End at night and bundle up for the iHeartRailTrail lights: http://www.charlotterailtrail.org/heart-1

You could also do an indoor craft together like The Candle Bar, take a cooking class at a place like Chef Alyssa's, indoor plant class at PlantHouse, et.

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

Discovery Place isn't bad. Has a little of everything, including a sort-of aquarium area.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

the Sea Life aquarium in Concord Mills is really good for a smaller aquarium and they let you go behind the scenes.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know if the Fourth Ward Bread Co project by Birmingham-based Daniel Corp is still happening, or is it dead?  I ask because the Daniel Corp website no longer makes any mention of it, and I feel that at one point, the website at least listed a featured news article about the project, but nary a mention now.

https://charlotte.axios.com/270933/a-developer-aims-to-preserve-the-old-fourth-ward-bread-building-on-graham-street/

27 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Anyone know if the Fourth Ward Bread Co project by Birmingham-based Daniel Corp is still happening, or is it dead?  I ask because the Daniel Corp website no longer makes any mention of it, and I feel that at one point, the website at least listed a featured news article about the project, but nary a mention now.

https://charlotte.axios.com/270933/a-developer-aims-to-preserve-the-old-fourth-ward-bread-building-on-graham-street/

we actually talked about this at the UP meetup.  and from what we know it is still one.  Daniel Corp. is slow and only builds a few apartment communities a year.  I did not see it on their website but could have missed it.  But we all seem to think it still on. 

update: just checked the property tax records do not see them or LLC as an owner.  Still the Gerrad family but maybe under contract surely if they had backed out they would  market the land again. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

we actually talked about this at the UP meetup.  and from what we know it is still one.  Daniel Corp. is slow and only builds a few apartment communities a year.  I did not see it on their website but could have missed it.  But we all seem to think it still on. 

update: just checked the property tax records do not see them or LLC as an owner.  Still the Gerrad family but maybe under contract surely if they had backed out they would  market the land again. 

Just checked the Historic District Commission agendas, and a demolition of the existing buildings on the site was considered.  Based on proposed new construction, it appears this is still a go.

https://charlottenc.gov/planning/HistoricDistricts/Documents/HDC_Cases_2022_2022-00126.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

Thanks! Been waiting forever for them to update this. Uptown looks so much denser with the update of stonewall, grand bohemian, Ellis, 500, fnb and others. Another cool thing too is that you can see the progress on gateway staton which is neat. It’s very apparent where the empty lots are and next spots for development boom. 

This area below has so much potential. So much! The four quadrants. From this view, the new Moxy hotel will help the area tremendously. What’s the future for the old and new innervision buildings? Spectrum center actually has a bunch of retail fronts too. 
7303726F-5493-4ABE-ABAE-0FE4AF7F9521.thumb.jpeg.aca80897fa51d43f213a7cea2bb2d727.jpeg

Sad to imagine the village-like cluster of structures/storefronts that once filled these spaces, and how they were all mowed down to accommodate our car obsession.

• Like 2

The Innervision building held the Purity Cafe on the ground floor with apartments above. Across East Trade were several smaller 2-3 story buildings with retail(?) on the ground floor. I have a question about retail because two important businesses were pawn shops, Berlin's and another whose name I cannot recall (Sam's?). Pawn shops were, and are, a mix of finance and retail with no certain emphasis on either. You decide the category.

If you have not been to an established pawn shop recently, whatever name they call themselves today, I recommend the experience. Each owner will usually specialize in some area he knows well such as firearms, jewelry, musical instruments and so on. His knowledge and experience is acknowledged by his customers who seek him for such transactions. There are some shops which are general with tools, electronics and anything of value. The experience of browsing will reveal an experience unfamiliar to many of us. Every used item has its story and a life may be constructed from the collection. I was in one once when I saw one of my students, age~13-14. I asked what brought him to the store. He pointed to a man at the counter and said his father was pawning his television to pay the electric bill. This comment was completely without artifice or irony. 

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2