Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

46 minutes ago, hokiehigh said:

Activity has definitely picked up but there is a ton of room to grow.   I would say the Uptown Y is only about 20-30% full in the morning vs early 2020 and honestly not many people I work with are taking the company's order to return to work seriously.   Yesterday I was maybe 1 of 5 people on a floor with maybe 400 cubes.  It's kind of depressing to go in on days when it is completely empty.   I think companies can figure it out as long as if they set and enforce rules that are equal throughout the company.   

Interesting (especially since the Y completely closed the Gateway location). My impression is that Uptown is counterintuitively busy at night and on the weekends. People are here and restaurants appear to be doing a brisk business. It's odd because offices are still more empty than full. So people are coming Uptown after working at home. Will be interesting to see how the Knights do with attendance (particularly with MLS now). 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

This is absolutely right. It's fine for Uptown to have the after-dark nightlife and it needs that to be successful, but during the days/evenings/weekends there should be a priority put on family enjoyment. SHOUT has been a great success in that regard and I hope in the future there's a way to have that all the time.

Well said and totally agree with all 3 of you! 

Update: Uptown was sleepy today, bursting at the seams tonight. 

Edited by JBS
  • Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 7:51 PM, KJHburg said:

My cousin works at Wells out in the CIC on Harris Blvd.  He is in the office 3 days one week and then only 2 days the next week the rest from work from home.  Not sure if all are doing this but this is a strange way to do I would think it would be easier to set 3 days a week every week. 

We (in the HR component) are told we have to be in the office 3 days a week - every week, in unassigned desk areas.  This 3/2 option is news to me.  Of course, I am hearing various long range options that are all over the board.  The most interesting thing to watch is how many people are going to be forced out if they do not come into the office for the three days after the rollout period is over.  I can speak for us in the Ballantyne area that we were supposed to RTO since early March, and at any time, the floor we work on is sparsely used.  The stance is a hard line approach that you are expected to be there.  No exceptions.  No questions asked.  So we shall see how this all plays out.  I see more and more people leaving (in addition to many that already have) b/c of the commute and WFH options that other companies offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I always watch events come to uptown like shout and think to myself that Charlotte could have this type of energy for most of the year if they build more strategically. And by that I mean everything built should have retail, and current large lobbies should be converted into retail. I think as more developments come to Uptown, like hotel and residential, there will be more people out and about to soak in what Uptown has to offer. And with that being said…Uptown needs to offer more things to do because these same few museums are nice but they need some company. I hope the Museum of the New South will be built to be more grand and be placed in  Uptown and eventually spur more growth. Preferably on the North Side. I will say that I wish that Discovery Place could be rebuilt as well. It always seems so cold and dead every time I pass by. 

Edited by j-man
  • Like 3

On 4/14/2022 at 3:22 AM, TheOneRJ said:

Sorry but an employee making a six figure salary is not giving up their job because the company is forcing them back into the office. At least not enough to have any real effect. People are replaceable, especially in Charlotte.

I personally know several people making six figures who left their jobs for others where they can work from home full time. They may not walk away if they have no alternative but there is no doubt people are leaving because they don't want to return to the office. It's why we are 4 days a month instead of the 12 originally discussed and 20+ pre pandemic. Is it enough to have a real effect? Depends on how you define that. Our professional staff can now wear jeans and athletic shoes, come in 4 days a month and many will be getting significant raises in the near future. It's a seller's market. 

• Like 1

Awesome news.  I walk by this space all the time.  As part of the refurbishment, I wonder if they'll consider a bit more streetscape flourish.  Even when it was open, it felt like a dead corner to me.  Not sure if maybe they should use more signage, or perhaps incorporate outdoor seating, or perhaps have windows on the full corner, but I'm curious to see what they do here.  I almost wish the corner was a doorway and entrance.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

Petition for a Ferris Wheel to replace the steps on Mint into the park. 

I’ve always felt that Charlotte should get w Ferris Wheel or something to liven up the outdoor scene. Shout had the city buzzing but there needs to be more permanent fixtures to keep that wave.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Rufus said:

I used to work for Bryant Park's team way back when I was finishing my thesis on public spaces in NYC. Bryant Park is one of the most hyper-controlled spaces in all of NYC, and it benefits from that control. Every detail is thought out. That lush lawn? That's a $5m lawn sitting on top of the stacks of the library. Those beautiful allees? Every morning before the park opens, there's a forester that checks to make sure there aren't any low-hanging branches. There is even a daily count of the women in the park because the belief is that women are more discerning of spaces, and a high ratio of women means success. There is so much that goes into managing and maintaining that park. It's incredible. 

Even a fraction of the attention could be paid on Romare Bearden and it would be an immediate change. 

I bet the “women metric” is outdated.  NYC government officially recognizes 31 gender categories.

• Haha 2

On 4/23/2022 at 9:44 PM, Rufus said:

I used to work for Bryant Park's team way back when I was finishing my thesis on public spaces in NYC. Bryant Park is one of the most hyper-controlled spaces in all of NYC, and it benefits from that control. Every detail is thought out. That lush lawn? That's a $5m lawn sitting on top of the stacks of the library. Those beautiful allees? Every morning before the park opens, there's a forester that checks to make sure there aren't any low-hanging branches. There is even a daily count of the women in the park because the belief is that women are more discerning of spaces, and a high ratio of women means success. There is so much that goes into managing and maintaining that park. It's incredible. 

Even a fraction of the attention could be paid on Romare Bearden and it would be an immediate change. 

Being surrounded by billion dollar buildings full of big money corporate sponsors certainly enables that level of care. I think we can get closer to Bryant Park's level of activation with our current resources, but to your point we're probably a ways away from that level of polish.