Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Actually, the high rise site was planned for where Fourth Ward Square Condos now stand.  They had their sales offices in the former Fourth Ward Bread Company was.   I would love to see a replacement for UpTown Gardens on that site.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

So, in 2012, the article link below describes a 47-story Planetarium Tower in Austin, housing residences, and a state-of-the-art science & tech museum w/planetarium.  Sadly, I don't believe it was ever built, so perhaps it proved to be infeasible.

47-Story “Planetarium” Tower Proposed Near Capital – TOWERS

Discovery Place could sell its location, raise cash, and enter into partnership with a developer to anchor a residential tower, perhaps in Uptown's budding Museum District?

Separately, Discovery Place could do the tower thing in its current location as well.

Could our new library have done something similar?  Missed opportunity for more housing in Uptown on city/county-owned property?

Not government-owned, but given the compelling amenity that the Carolina Theater will be once it's done in 2050, couldn't the tower atop the theater just as easily be a condo tower as an Intercontinental?  I say condo tower because would be nice to see a tower w/embedded cultural amenity as an ownership opportunity versus just rentals.

Thoughts?

Oh wait, in our car-obsessed city, a residential tower likely means much more demand for parking than a hotel with visitors, and so suddenly you're trying to needle in a big garage into a corner lot atop a restored Theater along Tryon.  Bummer.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

HDC made an exception for the Vue, which also falls inside the district, so it could be done. 

I definitely understand the height  restrictions, but even where the Vue is seems to be a lot of area with major restrictions on height. I hate that for such a growing urban core of a city growing as fast as Charlotte is. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

To be clear, there is no official height restriction.  Zoning is UMUD-O, which allows unlimited height.  The HDC does have to grant approval, but there is nothing explicitly a height max.  They are supposed to consider context for height.  Vue was lobbied against by neighbors, but ultimately there were no existing buildings on the block besides the fire station for "context".

There is nothing on the parking deck block besides the old BofA day care.

I wouldn't think getting a highrise here be too problematic to get approved.

That’s interesting to hear.  I’m sure not everyone loved the idea of the Vue - I mean, it is out of overall character for the neighborhood for sure - but I was at the Friends of Fourth Ward meeting where the building was pitched by the developers to the residents before it was approved and there was strong support for it then, at least with our group of folks.  It was far enough away feeling and there’s not a heck of a lot historic-feeling on those blocks (save the old fire station).  We were supportive of getting that many residents in our neighborhood to support the shops and restaurants, etc., that we were clamoring for.  And there was one very enthusiastic neighbor that loved the idea of the skyline being spread out along the Trade St axis.  He went on in great detail about it.

But certainly there was probably pushback from some.  But lots of folks were for it too. 

• Like 3

Curious - where would you

On 6/17/2022 at 7:23 PM, KJHburg said:

Discovery Place owns the entire 2nd block behind the museum where their current parking deck is.  There was talk many years ago about building residential atop that deck but it was never done.  They could sell that block incorporate a part of the museum in it along with parking with the residential tower and still come out ahead.  

Yes, and I believe a high-rise atop a science & tech museum creates a very differentiated, urban-residential experience. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Spartan said:

Its a raceway. If it weren't a state highway, we would likely have traffic lights at 7th 8th and 9th which would help slow traffic considerably. 

IMO the most annoying thing is that they keep repaving it without milling, so the sidewalk is only 1" above the road. Feels very unsafe to walk/drive/bike there.

Who are "they?"  NC DOT?  Are they in a Charlotte office given they make design decisions for their roads in Charlotte?  Are there names and bios on a website?  Do they have some discretion in their planning for what these roads should look like and how traffic should flow, or are they carrying out pre-determined and very specific instructions from Raleigh?

14 hours ago, Desert Power said:

Really feels like North Graham street from at least 6th to 277 should get a road diet. The lanes are so narrow that many larger vehicles will not stay in one lane anyways. Speeds also seem really high on that stretch.

I say this allll the time! Hate driving over there. The sidewalks are nearly as wide as the lanes. Like why was this ever a thing..

5 hours ago, j-man said:

I say this allll the time! Hate driving over there. The sidewalks are nearly as wide as the lanes. Like why was this ever a thing..

Say you put it on a diet, as they're doing to Statesville Ave, except for I-77, how do you get from north to south on a busy morning when there's an accident on 77?   Especially since CATS doesn't see fit to build turnout lanes for bus stops.  Nothing more irritating than sitting behind a bus on Statesville Ave at that choke point where there is a 'diet' just to have to wait for the driver to time his schedule right.