Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 7/28/2022 at 2:03 PM, CLT Development said:

Its getting torn down for a mature tree, the entire plaza will be getting a giant makeover.

Probably for the best. Wasn't the fountain under the clock having a lot of plumbing or leaking problems? I remember that area being under construction for what felt like the longest time 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

No good topic for this: Cox Media (owners of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution among other properties) has purchased Axios for $525 million. Initial reports indicate they will add money to their local activities. Its been a while but as a former regular reader of the AJC, I can't say that Cox cared much about local reporting at the time (good sports section though).

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/08/axios-agrees-to-sell-to-cox-enterprises-for-525-million

I wonder what Ted Williams is doing now…

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, kermit said:

No good topic for this: Cox Media (owners of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution among other properties) has purchased Axios for $525 million. Initial reports indicate they will add money to their local activities. Its been a while but as a former regular reader of the AJC, I can't say that Cox cared much about local reporting at the time (good sports section though).

https://www.axios.com/2022/08/08/axios-agrees-to-sell-to-cox-enterprises-for-525-million

Hoping the new owners are still bullish on free food and drinks so he can continue to feed his kids. :tw_joy:

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, kermit said:

Did he get an ownership stake in Axios when he sold Charlotte Agenda to them? That's quite the come-up if so.

3 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Did he get an ownership stake in Axios when he sold Charlotte Agenda to them? That's quite the come-up if so.

I would have, otherwise they can just throw you out the door at any time after the purchase.   I would have done 4m cash and 1m in the axios shares for him a Katie to split.

47 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

I would have, otherwise they can just throw you out the door at any time after the purchase.   I would have done 4m cash and 1m in the axios shares for him a Katie to split.

Depending on which Katie you're talking about, if you mean Levans I think Ted bought her out completely when she left.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

A pic clt development posted. The once Whole Foods cafe spot. Wish this could be filled with something. I think uptown needs a dedicated banh mi and bubble tea place. Great for the grab n go lunch crowd and would fill a void in that food genre. Think it would do a killing there despite its 2nd floor location. If you’re good, ppl will find you. 
64055F6F-1978-4616-8338-92879841C475.thumb.jpeg.ea6407c855d07aca4668c6ff329aae33.jpeg

The rail trail bridge will connect here right? I expect if it does we will see it get filled out

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Here is my photo of this I took yesterday and here is my idea:  ASANA needs to reduce the rent on this space and charge a higher % of sales thus allowing a business to be built up.  I think a coffee/tea or  quick service food place would be best.  And you are right once the Rail trail bridge over 277 is done this area will have a lot more foot traffic.    If some place is good and gets its name out, there they can make it work there.   I think a few tables on in the inside and lots of patio seating outside and this could be another amenity to the adjacent apartment complex not to mention the across the street convention center.  

For the life of me I don't understand uptown Charlotte landlords when it comes to retail spaces.  They would rather take $0 rent for years and years then take a chance on local or upstart retailer.   So in uptown we end up with lots of corporate chains or vacant retail spaces for years and years.  

IMG_9110.JPG

Baffles me as well.  Can the city mandate this or incentivize this somehow versus these empty spaces contributing to high-priced deadzones?

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 11:04 AM, midtownclt said:

Does anyone know what this work is about at the Carillon Tower entrance?

thumbnail.jpg

Not totally sure but my guess is they're removing that standalone tower thing over the entrance. Walked by it this morning and they have all the cladding and the roof off so now there's just the vertical steel left.

22 hours ago, CLT Development said:

They will close Midnight Diner on September 5th and staff will be moving to Red Eye Diner until Early to Mid January starting at the new loation, which give you a timeline on the process.

Perhaps this is elsewhere on the thread, but are there renderings?  Is this going to be a landscaped lot with something like Mattie's Diner on it?  Will there be surface parking?  Any outdoor dining space which the current one lacks?  Will the existing brick structure stay on the grounds or is anything getting demolished?  Will there be "connectivity" between this diner and the Moxy?