Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

I don’t typically advocate for sport bars but I think uptown needs a new one especially after wild wings and black Finn (epicentre) and Carolina ale house on college closed. This location is in a busy area close to the stadiums and it would see a lot of foot traffic as well.  Semi late hours would be key for this area too being next to ink n ivy and Kimpton hotel (merchant and trade) late hour clientele.  It’s not a fancy restaurant type place being that it’s an old parking deck but I think a nice sports bar/restaurant would do well. Would also provide another nice family sit down restaurant other than mellowmushroom since that American burger place closed next to it too. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Like 2

Had brunch today with a friend who came to town with his family in order to run in "Around the Crown."  He and the fam are based in Tampa, and started their long weekend in Raleigh for a couple days before arriving in Uptown.  His comments seemed to suggest that Raleigh's downtown was far quirkier, more eclectic, and livelier than Charlotte's very buttoned-up, and super corporate-feeling CBD.  He specifically cited Fayetteville Street.  He wasn't expressly negative on Uptown, just seemed to rave about Raleigh.  I don't know Raleigh well at all, but can anyone corroborate these sentiments? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Had brunch today with a friend who came to town with his family in order to run in "Around the Crown."  He and the fam are based in Tampa, and started their long weekend in Raleigh for a couple days before arriving in Uptown.  His comments seemed to suggest that Raleigh's downtown was far quirkier, more eclectic, and livelier than Charlotte's very buttoned-up, and super corporate-feeling CBD.  He specifically cited Fayetteville Street.  He wasn't expressly negative on Uptown, just seemed to rave about Raleigh.  I don't know Raleigh well at all, but can anyone corroborate these sentiments? 

downtown Raleigh has a lot more smaller older scale buildings which means lower rents and they have a lot more locally owned restaurants downtown.    Charlotte's retail rents are very high thus mainly chains unfortunately.  Downtown Raleigh has 2 food halls as well.  Just a whole different scale.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, KJHburg said:

downtown Raleigh has a lot more smaller older scale buildings which means lower rents and they have a lot more locally owned restaurants downtown.    Charlotte's retail rents are very high thus mainly chains unfortunately.  Downtown Raleigh has 2 food halls as well.  Just a whole different scale.  

The city experimented with shutting down Tryon along a stretch of Uptown and making it a pedestrian mall during COVID.  What was the experiment's result in the minds of planners and city officials?  Failure?  Success?  Indeterminate?

Following brunch yesterday, we did make our way to a very crowded rail trail adjacent to Atherton Mill for Front Porch Sundays (1st Sunday of each month).  While walking the stretch of vendors, I couldn't help but imagine the line-up of merchants/artisans/peddlers along a fully pedestrianized "Tryon Plaza" in Uptown.

We walked the length of Front Porch Sundays and then left.  In Uptown, I could have seen us jumping into a museum or heading to a park or plaza.

Atherton Mill is in the heart of a very active residential neighborhood. There are more reasonably priced spots for brunch / coffee that feel approachable / relaxing in the morning plus soft goods retail from Anthropologie, West Elm, Bonobos, Free People, Lululemon, Madwell, Sephora, et.... so if you are in a shopping mood (which could be your mood if you came to a shopping market), it is a good spot to go.

Meanwhile walking along Tryon in Uptown..... there are a lot of grand lobbies, steakhouses, and fast casual spots, but if you are in a shopping mood..... where would you go? The Mint Museum Gift Shop? Merchant plazas tend to do best when there is anchor permanent retail as well lining the sidewalks. 

When you look at the non-food retail spots facing Tryon..... 
- Mint Museum Gift Shop
- Betchler Museum Store
- Bank of America branch
- Welcome CLT Gift Shop (little booth at Wells Fargo Plaza)
- Wells Fargo branch
- FedEx Store
- Emerson Joseph Grooming Lounge
- Planet Fitness
- US Bank branch
- My Eye Dr.
- Lash Boutique
- First Citizens Bank branch
- Fifth Third Bank branch
- Allen Tate Realtors
- Discovery Place Gift Shop
- Woodie's Tires

So yeah..... outside of special events and eating, Tryon in Uptown isn't a very interesting street for visitors or locals looking to shop / stroll. Hence people love places like Charleston, Asheville, Savannah, Wilmington, et.. cause you can walk around and explore little shops, art galleries, et... Here in Charlotte, there's more retail in Park Road Shopping Center alone.... I've had more fun strolling in the little towns around Charlotte from Waxhaw, to Belmont, to Matthews, et... simply because they have more stores in their little town than a multi-block stretch of Uptown.

Thus Uptown is VERY event dependent to keep people interested / coming back because as a local you certainly don't head Uptown to shop. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, CLT2014 said:

Atherton Mill is in the heart of a very active residential neighborhood. There are more reasonably priced spots for brunch / coffee that feel approachable / relaxing in the morning plus soft goods retail from Anthropologie, West Elm, Bonobos, Free People, Lululemon, Madwell, Sephora, et.... so if you are in a shopping mood (which could be your mood if you came to a shopping market), it is a good spot to go.

Meanwhile walking along Tryon in Uptown..... there are a lot of grand lobbies, steakhouses, and fast casual spots, but if you are in a shopping mood..... where would you go? The Mint Museum Gift Shop? Merchant plazas tend to do best when there is anchor permanent retail as well lining the sidewalks. 

When you look at the non-food retail spots facing Tryon..... 
- Mint Museum Gift Shop
- Betchler Museum Store
- Bank of America branch
- Welcome CLT Gift Shop (little booth at Wells Fargo Plaza)
- Wells Fargo branch
- FedEx Store
- Emerson Joseph Grooming Lounge
- Planet Fitness
- US Bank branch
- My Eye Dr.
- Lash Boutique
- First Citizens Bank branch
- Fifth Third Bank branch
- Allen Tate Realtors
- Discovery Place Gift Shop
- Woodie's Tires

So yeah..... outside of special events and eating, Tryon in Uptown isn't a very interesting street for visitors or locals looking to shop / stroll. Hence people love places like Charleston, Asheville, Savannah, Wilmington, et.. cause you can walk around and explore little shops, art galleries, et... Here in Charlotte, there's more retail in Park Road Shopping Center alone.... I've had more fun strolling in the little towns around Charlotte from Waxhaw, to Belmont, to Matthews, et... simply because they have more stores in their little town than a multi-block stretch of Uptown.

Thus Uptown is VERY event dependent to keep people interested / coming back because as a local you certainly don't head Uptown to shop. 

we  certainly weren't in a "shopping" mood for vendors that my visitors could quite easily have found in tampa, lol.  we went for a post-gastronomic stroll and i was showing off my city in the process, so wanted to take them where there was bustle, where the community was showing off, where we could find the greatest mix of authentic uses in a relatively condensed space, and to somewhere proximal to 300 East while pushing a baby stroller.  a signature park/plaza or any one of the city's museum spaces would have been there as a complement to the stroll, and were likelier to be expressions of the city's originality than lululemon and west elm, lol.  they were definitely more interested in all things local than "shopping," hence our decision to stroll among front porch sundays.

not against front porch sundays at atherton and its chains, but the same celebration of local creativity set amidst uniquely local institutions and signature park spaces in Uptown and livening up Uptown would have been a critical mass and a proverbial icing on the cake for visitors...if I had my druthers.

Edited by RANYC

59 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

You can sit in the plaza and talk to the 15 security guards from Bank of America to break the awkwardness while they stand around and stare at you thinking "oh wow, the first person I've seen all day." They will greatly appreciate something else to do besides stare at an empty piece of grass.

I think pedestrianizing Tryon w/"programming," at least on a rotating weekend basis, could be part of a strategy to make uptown more interesting.  It certainly was a compelling and highly stroll-worthy environment for a different set of visitors during SHOUT, and likewise during Pride, and I suspect Uptown will show off in an extraordinary way during the inaugural international arts festival beginning on September 16th.  All it takes is for there to be street-level intrigue on a reliably consistent basis, and Uptown can be both a beauty, a draw, and full of energy.  of course, one must go into planning and devising such a strategy for uptown with the right attitude of possibility. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

was looking up some information on Loopnet and came across some large space vacancies in some of our uptown towers.

And remember when the new Duke Energy Plaza opens 75% or more of 400 South Tryon will be emptied out.

One Wells Fargo 301 South College aka the Jukebox 508,000 sq ft vacant out of 1 M sq ft total so 50% vacant.

One South (old Bank of Plaza) 101 S Tryon 455,000 sq ft vacant out of 891,000 sq ft.  51% vacant   

200 North College Wake Forest Center 419,000 sq ft will be vacant March 2023 out of 458.000 making that building 91% vacant come March.   That sounds like BofA moving out anyone know for sure as they are the lead tenant in that building.  

3 floors at Barings 300 South Tryon which is 79,000 sq ft vacant.

I would not look at anymore new office towers anytime soon after Legacy 4 completes unless there is a major movement among a tenant.

Now some buildings like Truist Tower and BofA Corporate Center are 100% full.    550 South Tryon aka DEC is 100% occupied and will be backfilled by Wells,  

Is Bank of America moving these people at 200 North College elsewhere does anyone know?  I can't believe they would vacate that much space without moving some of these people elsewhere and I know they are not a big work from home employer.  

And again we need to be looking at converting some older office towers to other uses.  

I mean, won't we get a new office tower as part of the 7th and Tryon development?

I remember in one of these threads early in COVID that several of us were adamant that there would be no new tower construction for years given the fallout from the pandemic, and next thing you know, Lincoln Harris is breaking ground on Legacy 4.  I guess we'll have to see.  Would be great to see tower conversions - I wonder which towers have been assessed and deemed to be best fits for conversion.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2

I'm assuming it will be more the NYC vibe than the Miami Beach location vibe.  Completely different scenes :silly:

STK is pretty good for the corporate expense account crowd.  Definitely better than Steak 48 in my opinion, which is very similar concept.

Edit:  Reading RANYC comments, maybe NYC does get a bit more interesting at night.  Have only done lunch there (and dinner but outdoor COVID seating) and it was pretty (very) tame in comparison to M.B.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

I'm assuming it will be more the NYC vibe than the Miami Beach location vibe.  Completely different scenes :silly:

STK is pretty good for the corporate expense account crowd.  Definitely better than Steak 48 in my opinion, which is very similar concept.

Edit:  Reading RANYC comments, maybe NYC does get a bit more interesting at night.  Have only done lunch there (and outdoor COVID seating) and it was pretty (very) tame in comparison to M.B.

I'm recounting STK NYC circa 2014-2016.  Could be a very different place now.  I'm sure MB STK was and is quite a bit more colorful than the NYC one, although a preponderance of May-December Relationships on full display is what they likely have in common.