Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

35 minutes ago, midtownclt said:

Screen Shot 2022-10-17 at 10.06.53 AM

Has anyone seen this yet?  Vela Longview Charlotte on the Levine Museum site.

https://veladev.com/

Four projects planned in 4 cities - the planned tower for Raleigh looks great.

This looks awesome and I wonder if it deserves its own thread. From what I can tell it is nicely positioned to stretch the skyscraper/high-rise core a little further north, helping bridge the gap to some North Tryon high-rises like the Ellis. 

I'm hoping for some good retail on the lower floors.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, RANYC said:

According to the Bizjournals, a new ice skating rink & snowtubing slide will be installed next month in Knight's Stadium to add to the holiday season/wintertime fun in Uptown.

That would explain the white and blue lights on all the trees around the stadium

• Like 2

I just read that The Green on South Tryon used to house a small ice rink from November to January, but said rink was moved to NASCAR Hall of Fame Plaza in November 2011.  I had no idea there had ever been ice skating in uptown, and thought this week’s news about ice skating at Truist Field was uptown’s first go at it in modern history.  Anyone have information on this?

Also, any chance the Charlotte Christmas Village returns to Romare Bearden Park versus being closed off from the street in Truist Field?

Thanks!

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RANYC said:

I just read that The Green on South Tryon used to house a small ice rink from November to January, but said rink was moved to NASCAR Hall of Fame Plaza in November 2011.  I had no idea there had ever been ice skating in uptown, and thought this week’s news about ice skating at Truist Field was uptown’s first go at it in modern history.  Anyone have information on this?

Also, any chance the Charlotte Christmas Village returns to Romare Bearden Park versus being closed off from the street in Truist Field?

Thanks!

you have it right. There was a small rink on the green for many years, then it moved to NASCAR plaza. Not sure if it was there duing covid at all. It was always too small to be a place worth skating. Hopefully the rink at the ballpark is full size! (but resurfacing large rinks is a pain with out a Zamboni)

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2

Here’s the link: https://www.milb.com/charlotte-knights/ballpark/christmas

lot of festivities going on there…site says full regulation sized rank. I agree, I really liked when the Christmas village was setup at romare. Felt different and was a good time. Also, always thought it would be cool to have a skating rank at boacc plaza and have those Rockefeller vibes lol but prob not enough space. 

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz

12 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Nothing would say Christmas in Charlotte like 40 Bank of America security guards patrolling an ice skating rink at BoACC and staring at people while screaming "No photos!!!! Don't even look at the tower!" Such a relaxing day for the family.

StickupyourA Corporate Center 

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

30 years ago we had a parade for the then Nationsbank Corporate Center dedication aka Bank of America Corporate Center.  when will we have a parade for the next tallest?  

I’d assumed we were unlikely to see a new tallest in most of our lifetimes.  Your question, however, has me thinking you may know something and are dropping a hint?

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

No I am thinking who will push my wheelchair and hold my KK doughnuts during the next parade for the tallest.  

I don't think will be topped out anytime soon given office market changes etc. 

I suppose if we see mixed-use tower trends surge, perhaps that will give rise to a new tallest.  For example, residential, hotel, office all in one structure.  Isn't that what's driving a 1000 foot tall building in Miami, Waldorf Hotel and Residences at 300 Biscayne.  The days of 60+ stories with nothing but office may be over, but perhaps we'll see the dawn of hotel and rentals, condos and office atop an institutional base like a revamped Discovery Place, and voila, you've got 65-70 stories.

• Like 3