Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

It’s about time one of our big three (or one of the other newer ones) towers create an observation level for the public. Our skyline deserves to be viewed from above. Why I am such a big advocate for the intercontinental to be built (rooftop restaurant). Fahrenheit and nuvole are nice but not high. Bentleys on 27 was the highest access point to the public but closed. Private bars like at the Vue create that experience but you have to be a resident. When will Charlotte get their first observation deck?

I absolutely agree, I would be willing to advocate for it! Minneapolis has one that’s 30 stories up, though not in the tallest and the deck isn’t super spacious, the views up there are still really good! Here is a photo of the Foshay Building deck:
61b2d8452a0fa3e6d37870ff0bd2d53a.jpg
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, dylansukkert said:

Of all the Uptown surface lots this one needs to be developed soon! 

881A1E71-F0BD-41FE-902D-B8700FBD2D1D.jpeg

That is church owned and they are looking at a joint development that allows them to have parking on sunday.

I've always wanted the old parking decks on Church to be redeveloped, but that seems to also be a long way off. 

• Like 1

WeWork quietly closed their First Citizens Bank location aka 128 South Tryon big sign on the building.   So quietly I did not even know and I will get the scoop tomorrow  stay tuned.  They leased many floors but subleased a lot of them but this is news to me.  Google maps is saying "temporarily closed"  hmmm? 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

WeWork quietly closed their First Citizens Bank location aka 128 South Tryon big sign on the building.   So quietly I did not even know and I will get the scoop tomorrow  stay tuned.  They leased many floors but subleased a lot of them but this is news to me.  Google maps is saying "temporarily closed"  hmmm? 

Update that location has "gone dark" so says Wework for some "repairs"  all the tenants moved to 615 Regions location and the Railyard.  My thoughts are they consolidating the locations uptown especially and setting that one up for larger enterprise users that will occupy full floors.   615 Regions location is much busier.   

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know what’s going on in 3rd Ward?  You can see about 4 Stories of Steel Framing from I-77 North - Looks to be close to 4th Street & Graham or nearby Gateway area.  Couldn’t get a photo though.

I saw that yesterday and was curious as well. 

5 hours ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

Anyone know what’s going on in 3rd Ward?  You can see about 4 Stories of Steel Framing from I-77 North - Looks to be close to 4th Street & Graham or nearby Gateway area.  Couldn’t get a photo though.

You probably saw The Charlotte Rescue Mission's new building. That framing seemed like it came out of nowhere. I noticed it when I was running last weekend

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/charlotte-rescue-mission-breaks-ground-new-building-uptown/2RDTOPKYRJAOLPWATUD4R7LCSU/

• Like 4

A Christmas tradition is ended at Founders Hall.  The Leonard Bearstein singing bears will not appear in Founders Hall this year and Bank of America is mum on why despite questions from the Ledger.

"""Since The Ledger reported Monday that the 18-member Leonard Bearstein Symphony Orchestra would not be returning to Founders Hall this year, we’ve been pressing Bank of America to say why the bear performance has been canceled.

The bears first started performing in Founders Hall in 1999, though they skipped the last two years because of Covid.

Despite our best efforts, though, the bank — which owns Founders Hall — is staying tight-lipped.

Asked by The Ledger if the bears were returning — and if not, why not? — Bank of America’s PR department sent us this reply by email, printed in full:

Bank of America has a longstanding and unrivaled commitment to and overall investment in Charlotte. Although we will not have the Leonard Bearstein Orchestra this year, visitors will still experience wonderful decorations such as

A large tree in our Corporate Center and packages that go on top of the revolving doors. 

A large tree on the plaza outside

Decorations around the perimeters of Founders Hall and smaller trees.

We’re also sponsoring the Nutcracker which begins in December at the Belk Theater.""

that was a non answer from BofA.

I think the bears should go to one of the malls or someone elses lobby uptown.  However many companies plan their holiday decorations months in advance so it may be too late this year unless someone steps up.   And where would you like to see the singing bears end up and trash is not an option LOL. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=leonard+bearstein+orchestra&rlz=1C1CHZN_enUS948US948&oq=bearstein+orche&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.5127j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3cf9e066,vid:6fUhNwRyLRQ

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

A Christmas tradition is ended at Founders Hall.  The Leonard Bearstein singing bears will not appear in Founders Hall this year and Bank of America is mum on why despite questions from the Ledger.

"""Since The Ledger reported Monday that the 18-member Leonard Bearstein Symphony Orchestra would not be returning to Founders Hall this year, we’ve been pressing Bank of America to say why the bear performance has been canceled.

The bears first started performing in Founders Hall in 1999, though they skipped the last two years because of Covid.

Despite our best efforts, though, the bank — which owns Founders Hall — is staying tight-lipped.

Asked by The Ledger if the bears were returning — and if not, why not? — Bank of America’s PR department sent us this reply by email, printed in full:

Bank of America has a longstanding and unrivaled commitment to and overall investment in Charlotte. Although we will not have the Leonard Bearstein Orchestra this year, visitors will still experience wonderful decorations such as

A large tree in our Corporate Center and packages that go on top of the revolving doors. 

A large tree on the plaza outside

Decorations around the perimeters of Founders Hall and smaller trees.

We’re also sponsoring the Nutcracker which begins in December at the Belk Theater.""

that was a non answer from BofA.

I think the bears should go to one of the malls or someone elses lobby uptown.  However many companies plan their holiday decorations months in advance so it may be too late this year unless someone steps up.   And where would you like to see the singing bears end up and trash is not an option LOL. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=leonard+bearstein+orchestra&rlz=1C1CHZN_enUS948US948&oq=bearstein+orche&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.5127j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3cf9e066,vid:6fUhNwRyLRQ

New Main Library whenever that's built?  Carolina Theater once renovations are completed?  Or perhaps outside at First Ward Park on a sheltered podium.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

^^^ That building will be on the tour of Charlotte Uptown History what is Still standing tour in Feb!  One of 2 buildings left standing unfortunately in the old Brooklyn neighborhood. 

Still Here History Tour/Barely Here History Tour 

Edited by RANYC
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

Kevin, do you include the former Black YMCA building which is 334 S Caldwell?

No did not but will look into it and see where that building is at.  

Here you go it is on the path of the proposed tour

http://landmarkscommission.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Brooklyn-McCrorey-Branch-YMCA-Local-Landmark-Report-min.pdf

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1