Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:55 PM, tarhoosier said:

The building at the rear of the former United Way is 300 South Caldwell. It housed some United Way services until maybe 15 years ago. The building was constructed as the black YMCA for the Brooklyn community. There was a pool and small gymnasium for sports. I was in the basement which was originally pool and locker room and it had been so damp for so long the lights did not work and was reverting to the life of the underworld. You want Halloween creepy and scary? Wander down there with a flashlight. You would not return for a second trip.

It is most unlikely to survive. I am shocked it survived as long as it has.

I wrote about the building in October last year. I knew someone who worked at Speech and Hearing Center, a United Way agency in the building. United Way was in the building next door at that time, circa 2005. The dampness and creep was home to creatures of the caveworld. It could never be rehabilitated, at least the basement. The building is in tenuous state.

On 11/18/2022 at 8:19 AM, KJHburg said:

A Christmas tradition is ended at Founders Hall.  The Leonard Bearstein singing bears will not appear in Founders Hall this year and Bank of America is mum on why despite questions from the Ledger.

"""Since The Ledger reported Monday that the 18-member Leonard Bearstein Symphony Orchestra would not be returning to Founders Hall this year, we’ve been pressing Bank of America to say why the bear performance has been canceled.

The bears first started performing in Founders Hall in 1999, though they skipped the last two years because of Covid.

Despite our best efforts, though, the bank — which owns Founders Hall — is staying tight-lipped.

Asked by The Ledger if the bears were returning — and if not, why not? — Bank of America’s PR department sent us this reply by email, printed in full:

Bank of America has a longstanding and unrivaled commitment to and overall investment in Charlotte. Although we will not have the Leonard Bearstein Orchestra this year, visitors will still experience wonderful decorations such as

A large tree in our Corporate Center and packages that go on top of the revolving doors. 

A large tree on the plaza outside

Decorations around the perimeters of Founders Hall and smaller trees.

We’re also sponsoring the Nutcracker which begins in December at the Belk Theater.""

that was a non answer from BofA.

I think the bears should go to one of the malls or someone elses lobby uptown.  However many companies plan their holiday decorations months in advance so it may be too late this year unless someone steps up.   And where would you like to see the singing bears end up and trash is not an option LOL. 

https://www.google.com/search?q=leonard+bearstein+orchestra&rlz=1C1CHZN_enUS948US948&oq=bearstein+orche&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i22i30.5127j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:3cf9e066,vid:6fUhNwRyLRQ

The bears are moving to Kannapolis!  after spending years uptown at Founders Hall they are moving to the suburbs

https://www.wfae.org/arts-culture/2022-12-02/the-bears-are-back-leonard-bearstein-orchestra-returns-to-kannapolis

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, CLTdev18 said:

I just saw this picture of uptown on a reddit thread. The purple areas are parking decks and the red areas are surface lots. It really puts it into perspective how much space is taken up by the car dependent culture.

r/Charlotte - Uptown is a parking lot (red = surface lots, purple = parking decks)

Just a quick glance and I see several red spots in 3th Ward that are in fact residential multistory buildings.

• Like 2

I started this google map for the parking like 10 years ago or so. I haven't updated in a year or two if people want to suggest corrections. (For the life of me I can't figure out why it won't let me share editing like the CLT development map)

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=16-A35NpVihduT_s2Kqb_u3VmG-Y&usp=sharing

• Thanks 1

On 12/14/2022 at 1:09 PM, atlrvr said:

The surface parking lot owned by JWU (between the church and rail lines, Trade, and 4th) has a land-use review meeting scheduled.  Proposal for 5-stories of apartments stacked on top of 2-floors of parking, with ground floor retail.  Project would be full-block wide (Trade to 4th).

No mention of who the developer would be.  Land is still owned by JWU, but I'm sure they are selling the land to raise money.

Toll is the developer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 12/14/2022 at 1:09 PM, atlrvr said:

The surface parking lot owned by JWU (between the church and rail lines, Trade, and 4th) has a land-use review meeting scheduled.  Proposal for 5-stories of apartments stacked on top of 2-floors of parking, with ground floor retail.  Project would be full-block wide (Trade to 4th).

No mention of who the developer would be.  Land is still owned by JWU, but I'm sure they are selling the land to raise money.

This essentially ends any chances of JWU expanding their Uptown campus. A sign of things to come?

13 hours ago, TheOneRJ said:

This essentially ends any chances of JWU expanding their Uptown campus. A sign of things to come?

Yes, JWU has seen declining enrollments for a while now, the Charlotte campus has one foot in the grave. Higher ed in general is going to feel a bunch of pain as the number of college age students declines, schools like JWU (expensive and small) are going to get the worst of it. Even peripheral UNC system schools are seeing enrollment declines (particularly ECU).

Edit: this story is from the CBJ in August: https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/08/26/johnson-wales-university-jwu-campus-crossroads.html

CAMPUS AT A CROSSROADS

Johnson & Wales enrollment is down 55%, it hasn’t had a president here for a year and there’s growing concern about the Rhode Island-based school’s plans for Charlotte.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

Many young people are waking up to the reality that some college degrees don't hold any more weight with employers than a high school diploma, other than loading you up with thousands in debt. It is getting even more competitive to get into the elite or well known schools, but small universities are suffering as people consider if trade school or just directly entering the workforce is better than a school that an employer looks at on a resume and goes "what's that?"

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Many young people are waking up to the reality that some college degrees don't hold any more weight with employers than a high school diploma, other than loading you up with thousands in debt. It is getting even more competitive to get into the elite or well known schools, but small universities are suffering as people consider if trade school or just directly entering the workforce is better than a school that an employer looks at on a resume and goes "what's that?"

what puzzles me is community college enrollment is taking an even bigger hit than bachelors granting institutions.