Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

6 hours ago, J-Rob said:

I don't think this has been posted anywhere yet, but Charlotte Center City Partners is starting a formal campaign to facilitate updates to Uptown's aging buildings. This is something that has been talked about on UP quite a bit recently, and I think this is an exciting effort.

"...they have begun discussions with property owners of a dozen uptown buildings encompassing 7 million square feet to explore their interest in taking an in-depth look at what’s needed and what’s possible for older buildings."

The article is worth the read if you have access.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/

image.png.0e3a07a5acf0ef3865c93c5c4aa343a3.png

Yes, the article cites that Center City Partners and the city's Economic Development Head plan to explore the use of both local and state incentives to facilitate such conversions, especially of pre-1990 office buildings.  While mixed, residential, and retail uses are on deck, the article mentioned institutional uses like an "uptown high school."  An uptown high school is part of the CMS capital plan which is set to be funded by a nearly $3 billion bond issuance, which county voters will weigh in on this fall. 

So with CMS potentially collecting a large pool of capital, and with the exploration of high-rise conversions into institutional uses, could we see a high-rise high-school, potentially?  Or might the thought be to use raised CMS funds to acquire and re-purpose a structure needing conversion like the epicenter?

• Like 2

On 2/22/2023 at 9:24 PM, KJHburg said:

We WILL have a problem with this uptown  Some of my problems buildings would be in my opinion:  2 Wells Fargo 32 story building built in the 1970s (not as wide as others maybe easier to convert)  

And this one is really two buildings stitched together.   I'm sure someone could do some cool conversion there, but I doubt it will happen.

Here is the webpage and virtual tour of the new Monarch Food Hall at 101 Independence Center uptown.

https://www.monarchmarketclt.com/

""MONARCH MARKET
18,000-Square-Foot Food Hall, Featuring 12 Food Stalls, 1 Full Service Restaurant & 3 Bars
Monarch Market is a new 18,000-square-foot food hall in the center of Uptown Charlotte connected to One Independence Center, at the intersection of Trade and Tryon. The food hall will be operated by Hospitality HQ, offering 12 varieties of food, one full-service restaurant, three bars—including one outdoor concept along N. Tryon Street—and private event space. This dining destination compliments the recently renovated 26,000-square-feet of retail on the ground floor of the office tower.""

Looks very popular already with the hipsters and office workers. 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is the webpage and virtual tour of the new Monarch Food Hall at 101 Independence Center uptown.

https://www.monarchmarketclt.com/

""MONARCH MARKET
18,000-Square-Foot Food Hall, Featuring 12 Food Stalls, 1 Full Service Restaurant & 3 Bars
Monarch Market is a new 18,000-square-foot food hall in the center of Uptown Charlotte connected to One Independence Center, at the intersection of Trade and Tryon. The food hall will be operated by Hospitality HQ, offering 12 varieties of food, one full-service restaurant, three bars—including one outdoor concept along N. Tryon Street—and private event space. This dining destination compliments the recently renovated 26,000-square-feet of retail on the ground floor of the office tower.""

Looks very popular already with the hipsters and office workers. 

I really hope this project is successful

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Take2 said:

Couldn't agree more. Can't imagine the new name or whatever taking off. We know it for what it's been for decades. Must Charlotte developers completely erase everything!!

This is actually Chicago developers,  but I agree that the name change is stupid. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1