Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

12 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Is Dallas giving incentives?  

No offense, but our downtown is so much more of a draw than Dallas'

I agree and I don't think so.  I think the surplus of office space there made the buildings cheap.  I do think our uptown is better than their downtown but we need to keep improving it by working on some of these office to residential conversions. 

• Like 3

It would be something if the city pursued trying to  devote time or resources to convert office to residential rather than all the underutilized land uptown. 2nd Ward. Most of 1st. West of Graham. Etc. They’re held up by landowners but I dunno. Rather throw money at them than those office towers, personally. Maybe build the train station with more housing instead letting it sit around? (& all the lost tax revenue on empty lots and inflation ever increasing). Though the Duke conversion is definitely great! 

94315A3D-C388-4E1D-B21E-32B859173594.thumb.jpeg.d18da9381a63dd3cf9828356bc557987.jpeg

I think Charlotte has a fairly healthy office vacancy rate (even by pre-pandemic standards). 

Does anyone even know which office towers could be potential candidates? Not just by  engineering alone but including whether the tower has strong tenants or not? 

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Two Words: Vacancy Tax

Very interesting idea.  We’d need a split property tax framework and would need to do some work on definitions.  I believe DC has such a tax, with one rate for vacant properties and another for blighted ones.  There appear to be very few examples of this tax in the US, however.  And to be quite frank, based on the kinds of language and thought logic I observe being used by our council, I can’t fathom this concept getting any legs here in Charlotte.  I could see it originating in Raleigh, however, and Charlotte then studying Raleigh as a model for implementation here.  Perhaps we get a council with more capacity after the next election, and pairing that with maybe a UNCC study, we set in motion a campaign to get this reviewed after the next revaluation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CLT Development said:

Two Words: Vacancy Tax

It’d be dope if someone smarter than me in the Charlotte media could analyze that. 

RANYC mentioned DC as an example (which I again have no knowledge of because tax laws are something I just don’t know much about) but it makes me think how applicable even could looking at other places be as models to follow. Wouldn’t such laws be radically different and illegal in one place and legal in others?

I just wonder whether NC laws would make it illegal. I would also wonder if Developers and other powerful groups in NC be fiercely opposed?

Wouldn’t a vacancy tax technically be considered not business friendly and if so, I feel like city leadership would be very hesitant to do anything that would be potentially punitive to business (even though I think it would ultimately make everyone better off but whatever).

So many questions, It’d be great to read an analysis on a vacancy tax tailored to NC Law and specifically about Charlotte. 

I obviously have a layman’s opinions. A surface level opinion but it seems so complex for me to have a strong opinion. 

27 minutes ago, RANYC said:

Very interesting idea.  We’d need a split property tax framework and would need to do some work on definitions.  I believe DC has such a tax, with one rate for vacant properties and another for blighted ones.  There appear to be very few examples of this tax in the US, however.  And to be quite frank, based on the kinds of language and thought logic I observe being used by our council, I can’t fathom this concept getting any legs here in Charlotte.  I could see it originating in Raleigh, however, and Charlotte then studying Raleigh as a model for implementation here.  Perhaps we get a council with more capacity after the next election, and pairing that with maybe a UNCC study, we set in motion a campaign to get this reviewed after the next revaluation.

The problem is I could barely see Raleigh implementing this, and Charlotte could literally never without NCGA consent because of Dillion Rules.

10 minutes ago, CLT Development said:

The problem is I could barely see Raleigh implementing this, and Charlotte could literally never without NCGA consent because of Dillion Rules.

He’s no longer at UNCC, but this would have been a great topic for Ely Portillo to look into and put its features and issues in a research publication that could be consumed by the lay public.  You’re right that there’s unlikely appetite in the super repub-led NCGA, but getting a thoughtful community dialogue going couldn’t hurt especially given my expectation that we will see a dem governor succeed cooper and I expect the repubs to lose their super majority status.  Just me though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

He’s no longer at UNCC, but this would have been a great topic for Ely Portillo to look into and put its features and issues in a research publication that could be consumed by the lay public.  You’re right that there’s unlikely appetite in the super repub-led NCGA, but getting a thoughtful community dialogue going couldn’t hurt especially given my expectation that we will see a dem governor succeed cooper and I expect the repubs to lose their super majority status.  Just me though. 

He is with WFAE now so its still something he could look into. I just don't want Steve Harrison looking into it.

• Confused 2

Here is a partial conversion of a office tower in downtown Dallas.  It has 11 levels of apartments and keeps over 30 floors of office space.  Even a solution like this would be good for some of aging uptown towers.  The apartments are on the lower floors and office space top floors.  This tower is 50 stories 646 feet tall. 

Santander Tower Apartment Units Ready to Rent (connectcre.com)

stacking chart here 

Santander Tower CT (ceros.com)

tenants get access to top floor private club. 

I have personally been inside this building visiting a WeWork there. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Here is a partial conversion of a office tower in downtown Dallas.  It has 11 levels of apartments and keeps over 30 floors of office space.  Even a solution like this would be good for some of aging uptown towers.  The apartments are on the lower floors and office space top floors.  This tower is 50 stories 646 feet tall. 

Santander Tower Apartment Units Ready to Rent (connectcre.com)

stacking chart here 

Santander Tower CT (ceros.com)

tenants get access to top floor private club. 

I have personally been inside this building visiting a WeWork there. 

IMG_20230412_141743424.thumb.jpg.d45a67c7b6ea52b3e1e965b79353f4f0.jpg

Just now, Larry Singer said:

IMG_20230412_141743424.thumb.jpg.d45a67c7b6ea52b3e1e965b79353f4f0.jpg

I like the plain European style with activity all around outside. We could use a simple complex like this uptown?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Does anyone know if there is a report summarizing the number of residential units in South End vs. Uptown?  I am curious if converting old office space to residential could help swing momentum back evenly toward Uptown.

This is CCCPs most recent development report. It breaks down current and future residential units and office space between the four wards, South End, and Midtown. 

https://ctycms.com/nc-charlotte-ccp/docs/development-report-april-2023-reduced-size.pdf

Edited by ABCW
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Does anyone know if there is a report summarizing the number of residential units in South End vs. Uptown?  I am curious if converting old office space to residential could help swing momentum back evenly toward Uptown.

On a recent episode of Charlotte Talks, a senior economic development rep for CCCP said there are 22,000 x in Uptown.  The number stuck in my head as I was driving around, but I can’t quite recall if he referred to residential units or residents.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ABCW said:

This is CCCPs most recent development report. It breaks down current and future residential units and office space between the four wards, South End, and Midtown. 

https://ctycms.com/nc-charlotte-ccp/docs/development-report-april-2023-reduced-size.pdf

I added up 8900 completed residential units uptown in all 4 wards did not count those under construction or proposed with 3rd and 4th Wards having the most of the 4 wards uptown. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, SpiritOf76 said:

Hi any site rendering for this project? Hopefully give some more life into that area . I commute past that everyday

I have not seen a rendering of it I dont think or can't remember.   They have started framing the apartments on the N Tryon st side just not in this photo from College St.  Maybe @CLT Development has seen a rendering for them? 

• Like 3