Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Eh, its not a bad idea to have a convenience store for 3rd ward, there's not one very near there at all currently. And hey, Mellow Mushroom is going to be amazing to have there IMO. 

I forgot to mention, riding my bike around there recently, I noticed that the Ally building next to Catalyst has a Just Fresh now (had no idea there were that many retail spaces in that building), and the Starbucks at Levine Ave of the Arts & Church is now open and looked busy. Combined with the resurgence of Brevard Ct, its becoming a pretty active area even before the park and ballpark opening!

The old Crowne Plaza (Four Points/Radisson, etc, etc) at McDowell and 4th (across from the courthouse) is becoming and Fairfield Inn.  The will be doing minor exterior upgrades.  Nothing too exciting.

Well, I'm at least glad that the Charlotte Plaza hotel was just a temporary thing. Looked very cheap to me when they just removed the word "Crowne" to rename the hotel "Plaza" on the signage.

Something is afoot with the former Days Inn on 9th and Tryon. Those of you with connections start digging.

So we should be looking for something labled 601 N. Tryon or 600 N. Tryon

Something else is "afoot" with Skyhouse too. The Project Description of the latest submittal is 2 towers...

Skyhouse Charlotte

Development of 640 multifamily units in 2 buildings with a single structured parking garage. Development will occur in 2 phases. Access will be provided off Tryon, 10th and Church

Edited by Guest

Take this with a very thin grain of salt, but Donald Trump does hint he could still build something in uptown. He was in the area last week to check in on his golf course in Mooresville. Trump did mention he was off "to look at something" while in town during this interview. And that he could just suddenly decide to build in uptown. Who knows, but I still list any significant uptown structure rising from the ground as unlikely with his name attached to it.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/news/local/blair-miller-talks-donald-trump-about-charlotte-ve/nZbDF/

Just an FYI to everyone. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/nashville/blog/2013/08/ubs-to-bring-jobs-downtown.html

We missed out on this deal because of lack of Large Blocks of Office Space downtown. We are our own worst enemy.

I saw this yesterday and had wondered why Charlotte wasn't the choice (or candidate anyways)... Thought Nashville was kind of an odd choice (great city, just not the first place I think of when it comes to finance jobs). If this isn't a business case to start building spec office space in uptown NOW, not sure what is. 

Edited by wend28

Maybe if Chiquita hadn't been bribed from Cincy, there'd be some office space.

Sounds like this company has been all over the place, and is really a lot of other companies at various locations that were bought or merged through the years, and ultimately its a fruit company, many of its locations seem rather misplaced, Cincinnati as its most recent was due to its last owner, I would bet Charlotte is just another "stop" for it, maybe a decade or so.  Funny enough, they bought a German Distribution company 10 years ago, perhaps related in some minor way to the move to Charlotte?  Probably not, but interesting.