Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

The block bound by Cedar, Cates and Clarkson. By Elmwood.

Well thats good its not going in that lot by settlers, and no one will see it back there behind Post Gateway anyway. There is already apartment (or something) buildings back there. Are they being demolished?

Edited by Jayvee

I agree, I do wish they'd put a building there. But anything is better than that lot.

Yeah that's what I was thinking on the location.

I'd definitely be disappointed in that at that location. Was hoping some something at least twice that tall on that spot.

If it is near Settlers, really the only place I could imagine it going is on the 5th, Poplar, Pine and Trade parking lot. I don't think that complex is too ugly looking, and it sure beats that awful parking lot. No idea where they could put it by Elmwood

Keep Dreaming Guys. That lot is owned by The big Church. It would take a developer buying it from them with an agreement to provide sufficient FREE parking for their congregation. That will be a vacant lot forever.

Well thats good its not going in that lot by settlers, and no one will see it back there behind Post Gateway anyway. There is already apartment (or something) buildings back there. Are they being demolished?

Yes, thank god, I was always creeped out by them when I would wander around the cemetery at night with friends as a kid... I just realized the irony of that statement...

Keep Dreaming Guys. That lot is owned by The big Church. It would take a developer buying it from them with an agreement to provide sufficient FREE parking for their congregation. That will be a vacant lot forever.

Yes, thank god, I was always creeped out by them when I would wander around the cemetery at night with friends as a kid... I just realized the irony of that statement...

Those are going to be demolished back there!?! When??? That is great news, those are gross back there and the majority of crime in Gateway Village occurs back there. So are they buying out all the people that live in those??

Also, wow I cant believe that church owns that entire lot...the property values have to be insane.

Edited by Jayvee

Also, really quick random question. I think this has been addressed before somewhere, but there are '3rd Ward' signs over by Gateway Village, correct me if I am wrong but isnt that 4th Ward?

Depends on which side of Trade Street its on. JWU side is 3rd Ward, other side is 4th.

Those are going to be demolished back there!?! When??? That is great news, those are gross back there and the majority of crime in Gateway Village occurs back there. So are they buying out all the people that live in those??

Also, wow I cant believe that church owns that entire lot...the property values have to be insane.

Some of them may be saved, its not quite the entire block.

Depends on which side of Trade Street its on. JWU side is 3rd Ward, other side is 4th.

There is a 3rd ward sign on where 6th St runs into 5th St.

Also, ricky_davis_fan, what are they going to do with those old aparments behind Post Gateway? Do they just buy them up and tell the people that live there now, hey you gotta go? Not sure how that works

Edited by Jayvee

I am kind of new to this and am not sure how (or if I can) to look up items related to Pacel and Permit numbers. But I took a look at what's going in inbetween Ri Ra's and Sip. The Parcel No. is 08001105, Permit No. is B2452820 and its issued to Bradley Construction Group on 4/5/13. Is there any way I can, or someone can look this up and see what is supposed to go into this spot? Thanks!

The ultra-simple and looongtime technical boundaries of Trade and Tryon streets for the 4 wards have been blurred by misuse.  CCCP confines 1st and 4th Ward boundaries in their maps only to the low-rise residential districts within them while making up unusable Uptown North, etc, districts which aren't even defined by streets (so a block and building would be in 2 districts).  Over time, 3rd Ward has claimed Gateway Village and the small area southwest of Elmwood Cemetery by virtue of being more connected to it than the heart of 4th Ward.  You also see Trademark included in 4th Ward home tour because of the proximity.   

Of course correcting people on these things is as annoying as commenting on their they'res and its, so it is pretty much a lost cause so now even on Google Maps, the Irwin Elementary school area is considered 3rd Ward despite being technically in 4th Ward.

Honestly it does seem more appropriate to just include this historic section of 4th Ward as Fourth Ward. Never Really thought of it til today. I always wished that section was larger, maybe 3x as big. Such an amazing little microcosm

So the base of Catalyst facing the Church St. side has had lots of activity going on inside for a couple months now.  I knew there was a Mellow Mushroom going in, but other then a random blog post found a while back had no other confirmation until now...

now I just want my 7-11 and taquitos please :)

post-28621-0-50916200-1380980219_thumb.j

Just a random FYI, a 7-Eleven is going into the Post Gateway building next to Subway (where Donato's and Bojangles used to be). So I guess that makes 2 uptown 7-Eleven locations. I am kind of disappointed as I would have liked to have seen something food related in that space (as Gateway will now have 3 convenience stores) but whatever.  

Just a random FYI, a 7-Eleven is going into the Post Gateway building next to Subway (where Donato's and Bojangles used to be). So I guess that makes 2 uptown 7-Eleven locations. I am kind of disappointed as I would have liked to have seen something food related in that space (as Gateway will now have 3 convenience stores) but whatever.  

I bet that's the deathknell for the little convenience store down the block beside the bar there.

• 2 weeks later...

Nope, but whoever it is will probably be moving out within a year. Epicenter and Music Factory really killed that building's night life appeal.

Cans was a hot spot for a few years before Epicenter opened and had the only rooftop bar in Uptown at that time I believe.

Another club.

http://cltparty.com/2013/10/16/the-grand-opening-of-vanity-saturday-night/

It appears that the Wall Street Journal has drawn a target on the back of InfiLaw, the parent company of Charlotte School of Law.

Bar-passage rates among their graduates have fluctuated in recent years but have often fallen well below state averages. And job-placement rates have suffered as well. In 2012, for instance, only about half of Charlotte's graduating class got jobs that required passing the bar, at least 10 percentage points below the state's other private law schools and the national average.

Adding to InfiLaw's woes: two recent federal lawsuits that accuse its schools of shady tactics designed to boost profits. Last year, a group of Florida Coastal graduates sued the school, alleging that it advertised misleading postgraduate employment statistics to lure prospective students. The group is seeking, among other things, $100 million in tuition repayments. And in June, two tenured professors at Phoenix School of Law sued the school and InfiLaw, claiming they were fired after objecting to proposals that would make it harder for students to transfer.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702304384104579143590393525518?mod=WSJ_hp_EditorsPicks

^There's been some talks of UNCC absorbing Charlotte School of Law,   How thought out they are I do not know.  I will say though it is probably an easier sell to the UNCGA and the State than if UNCC wanted to start one from scratch.  I also understand that there are plans for at least one more UNCC building in center city so who knows?

^There's been some talks of UNCC absorbing Charlotte School of Law,   How thought out they are I do not know.  I will say though it is probably an easier sell to the UNCGA and the State than if UNCC wanted to start one from scratch.  I also understand that there are plans for at least one more UNCC building in center city so who knows?

My roommate in college (in 2008) was the student body president and said that there had been discussions back when CSOL was doing poorly financially.

I think they readjusted their strategy and just started admitting more students even if they weren't great candidates.

That is the inevitable result of most for profit schools.   There might be an initial period of selectivity to improve their brand, but in the end the profit motive requires admitting more students.  

It would be a good thing for the city in the end if UNCC did eventually absorb the school, but in the meantime, it is probably just going to remain a niche school that has varying success with their students depending on their qualifications.

Why does Charlotte need a law school at all? Does Charlotte really have a shortage of doc-review slaves?

There are already too many lawyers. Let's have mercy on the layabouts that attend CSOL because it's a convenient distance from their parents' basement, they have incurred enough non-dischargeable debt already.

Let the school die.

Edited by peaceloveunderstanding