Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Heard some great news about something we've longed for in uptown, but can't give out even the slightest of a details bc it's not 100%. I can say it's not a flashy new building. 

Finally getting that liquor store we've all been longing for??? 

Seriously though... Can we get a hint? 

I can't really give out any hints... I was sworn to secrecy. I can't even put it in the proper forum. (theres a hint  :thumbsup: )

The international Bea Arthur Memorial Museum with 400m Statute that has her mouth in a mid (God will get you for that, Walter) scream that serves as the observation deck?!   Am I right?  Am I right?

• Like 2

IMO... a liquor store would be fantastic!

I can't really give out any hints... I was sworn to secrecy. I can't even put it in the proper forum. (theres a hint :thumbsup: )

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse or anything. But is this likely something that could take more than 6 months to hear anything?

The ultra-simple and looongtime technical boundaries of Trade and Tryon streets for the 4 wards have been blurred by misuse.  CCCP confines 1st and 4th Ward boundaries in their maps only to the low-rise residential districts within them while making up unusable Uptown North, etc, districts which aren't even defined by streets (so a block and building would be in 2 districts).  Over time, 3rd Ward has claimed Gateway Village and the small area southwest of Elmwood Cemetery by virtue of being more connected to it than the heart of 4th Ward.  You also see Trademark included in 4th Ward home tour because of the proximity.   

Of course correcting people on these things is as annoying as commenting on their they'res and its, so it is pretty much a lost cause so now even on Google Maps, the Irwin Elementary school area is considered 3rd Ward despite being technically in 4th Ward.

Regardless of the technical boundary of Trade St between 3rd and 4th Wards, the entire area west of the railroad tracks in practice has been called 3rd Ward. Historically speaking, uptown stopped at the railroad tracks, and the inclusion of that area in "uptown" likely didn't happen until 77 and 277 were built.

Gateway Village is part of the 3rd Ward neighborhood association if that is any indicator. I lived in 3rd Ward for several years, and there are basically two neighborhoods that are divided by the railroad tracks. The issues that each section of 3rd Ward has to deal with are vastly different. I think that it would make sense to brand the western portion as "5th Ward" (or something) to distinguish it from the historically accurate 3rd Ward while acknowledging that Gateway is not functionally a part of 4th Ward.

I don't really know... It's something that could be anywhere from 1/mo to 6/mo to 12/mo... I don't know that's theres a specific time table (albeit, i suspect much sooner than later)

Does it involve a new building, or does it involve an existing building?

Regardless of the technical boundary of Trade St between 3rd and 4th Wards, the entire area west of the railroad tracks in practice has been called 3rd Ward. Historically speaking, uptown stopped at the railroad tracks, and the inclusion of that area in "uptown" likely didn't happen until 77 and 277 were built.

If you look at the 1877 ward map of Charlotte the western boundry of 3rd Ward looks to extend just west of what now appears to be Cedar Street (Johnston on the map).

http://www2.lib.unc.edu/dc/ncmaps/interactive/Cm912c_C47_1911b.html

It's amazing how much the original grid has been mangled over the years.

• Like 2

Wegman's is coming to Uptown!

^ Holy Cow!

Any hint about where? every Wegmans I have seen was huge.

(HT management was brilliant to sell when they did)

Location, location, location. Hope it's big.

I think this was a bad joke...

Wegman's is coming to Uptown!

If this is a joke then i am not amused.  I have longed for a Wegman's since the day i moved to Charlotte.  I contacted their PR department a couple of years ago asking about a potential location, and their replay was something along the lines of, "Not any time soon." Use to have a Wegmans 5 mins from my house back in Jersey.  Best gourmet grocery store I've ever been too,  better than Whole Foods, IMO. 

I think I agree that this rumor is not about a Wegmans,  however if we are big enough for Publix to come in strong, it might also be *theoretically* plausible that Wegmans would go to the next state down the line in the MidAtlantic region.  That is also true considering how many people in NC are from NY/NJ/PA originally and NC is the next state south.   Businesses also sometimes can find opportunities where demand is being unmet, which is certainly possible in Charlotte, or a competitive advantage knowing they could come in and offer something different than Whole Foods and clock them.  

All this said, it is the least likely of the guesses in my book, well second to Bea Arthur Tower.  

• Like 3