Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere:

Dandelion Market is scheduled to open in the former Latorre's Restaurant on 5th in December. It's next to Fiji.

Walked by yesterday, they have scaffolding out front for renovations.

More info: http://www.dandelionmarketcharlotte.com

Edited by jf Uptown

As part of the Obama Energy Stimulus grant Charlotte is planning a couple projects uptown:

-Install Electric Vehicle Charging Stations in various parking decks, surface lots and on-street parking in Uptown.

-Install Recycle Bins next to existing Sidewalk Trash cans (long overdue)

-Complete Vehicular Wayfinding and Parking/Variable Messaging Signage

A) Install 4 large dynamic message signs to efficiently direct visitors to the most accessible

parking facility from all approaches to Charlotte's Center City. These signs will be linked

to the CDOT Traffic Control Center and will provide “real-time” parking availability,

direct traffic to/from major events and advise the public of street closures/detours.

B) Expansion of the parking guidance system through dynamic “real-time” signs at 15

parking decks with signs to report parking availability to reduce motorists driving around

to find parking.

-New Cooling Unit and Lighting for Old City Hall

-Solar Thermal Hot Water at Fire Station #1 (First Ward)

These are just the ones for downtown. You can read the complete report here:

http://www.charmeck.org/NR/rdonlyres/e36wcipnoobk7c2po3tkic3wozt6b22tp52gi77ivx7h3ttacbdgwzvjpamj375etvkgidqo6g6ojbki7b5zx6bztnd/1.pdf

This goes before City Council for approval November 23rd.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It looks like the Ascot Inn is about to get another life as "Queen City Inn" with $35 daily/$170 weekly rates.

Figures, the one case where I would have actually preferred a surface parking lot.

I don't know, it kinda adds a little grit and character. Can't beat the heart-shaped hottubs.

• 2 months later...

I don't think this has been mentioned elsewere on here:

New Johnson & Wales student union:

jwcenter.jpg

The project is slated to break ground this week, with a scheduled completion date of Spring 2011.

The new Johnson & Wales University Student Center will be built on the residence hall parking lot adjacent to the Panther’s practice field, and will include:

* gymnasium with bleacher seating for 600

* fully equipped fitness center

* aerobic exercise room

* student activity multi-purpose room

* clubs & organizations offices and resource rooms

* athletic offices

* varsity and general student locker rooms/showers

Link

yikes. looks like 80s library meets apple store. at least its surrounded by a field and railroad tracks because its looking quite suburban. maybe its just this rendering though :)

It looks better than the current surface lot. Now if we could only get rid of that useless building on Cedar between Trade and 4th...

^hah, that will never happen. I like the old church. I just wish they would make their lot have more of an urban plaza feel, rather than a suburban grassy feel. That's really all it would take to make it better.

As for the J&W expansion, I'm not overly impressed. I just hope that they have an entrance fronting Cedar in addition to the parking lot.

This is a step down from J&W's other buildings. I could see an argument for some surface parking for visiting potential students (who may not otherwise be accustomed to parking in the area), but this does smack of suburban oriented site planning and architecture. Hell, you have to walk through a parking lot to get to the entrance.

The void that will be left is regrettable. Interesting that according to the owner light rail helps with the lunch crowd but did not bring in the bucks to sustain the place overall. I have only been to Reids a few times. The food always seemed mediocre to me and too expensive.