Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

Random bit here....but the top of the Vue looks AWESOME tonight. Constantly changing colors and "waving" it's nice to see they finally got rid of that HORRIBLE yellow. It was Red White and Blue on Memorial Day, perhaps it's going to be like Duke now and always change for events and such? That would be great.

This building will look like the Marriott in South Park new. Imagine it in 10 years. Design standards are needed in this city!

Re: The Vue: It was the only building in Uptown without Hornets colors. So, while not yellow....good try. They still failed, like everything else that project has tried at.

Yikes, I couldn't imagine a more nondescript uninviting looking place.  Kind of looks like a converted parking garage covered in dry wall. However aesthetics I could get over if they made up for it with street level presence, but my goodness.  All right so enough negativity, yay no parking lot! 

I'd be surprised if that retail spot was Anything but restaraunt.

Brevard is ironically enough pretty anti-urban. A blank wall of Convention center, a near full blank wall of NASCAR, incomplete sidewalks, AT&T is a no go pedestrian wise, pass a parking lot, and you pass the CTC which isnt exactly inviting neither.

And does that mean no retail for Caldwell? I like Cladwell more than Brevard personally

Check out the Brevard Street Land Use & Urban Design Plan on charmeck.org. The long term vision for that street is for it to be uptown's primary/destination shopping district. Retail space along this frontage should be expected, but I'll be surprised if its successful in the short term for anything other than another lunch spot for uptown workers. 

Supposedly the convention center space can be converted to retail shops in the future, and the AT&T building could be retrofitted for retail if the price is right.

The column wraps at the entrance to Independence Center were always in rough shape and getting beat up. The new wraps should look a lot nicer and less bulky.

I love the new plaza design at the corporate center. It's very elegant and clean, there are some great site details that I'm probably going to copy on future projects. 

I agree. The stone bench that wraps the vent area is a nice touch. Very 'New York'

That is a horrible hotel with horrible street interaction. It is annoying that the city still allows ugly buildings like this to be approved and built.

I agree, the new design is horrible. It's almost like they took the worst parts about the epicenter (design, color, material (EFIS), general shape) and slapped them on some randomly placed rectangles in sketchup. The old design at least had that metallic 'fin' thing which made it different/interesting.

As far as I'm concerned the Brevard street plan is dead.

There should be no waiste of Time on Brevard when so many other streets seem more promising.Especially in III ward, Tryon, College & Trade

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

As far as I'm concerned the Brevard street plan is dead.

There should be no waiste of Time on Brevard when so many other streets seem more promising.Especially in III ward, Tryon, College & Trade

It really ought to be Trade Street, now that the Gold Line is a thing.  That'll be a great way to get eyes on storefronts...

• Like 1

Just Fun speculation based on a response from the 210 trade site saying there will be another über luxury hotel.

I'm going to guess... Maybe the canceled Wachovia Condo project above the Mint site. Assuming the poster was excluding the 2 crescent hotels and Tryon Corners hotel.

:)

• Like 1

I think the most exciting thing about all these new developments is that the "finish off" blocks.  300 S Tryon, Epicentre air rights,  Element Apartments, hopefully Crescent and Portman Plaza.  All of these projects would finish the buildout of the blocks they are located on, which should really help the "urban" experience.

I had someone tell me that with the streetcar they are going to be renovating/retrofitting the CTC into something a little more pleasant and.....accessible lets say. And that the major bus operations will be moving out of there. I haven't heard anything on here about that, however that would be AWESOME. Is there any truth to this?

Edited by Jayvee
  • Like 1

came across this gem. This was the original design for the Arlington (Pepto Tower)

arlington.jpg

I feel like this tall of a building outside the center city would seem so out of place. The current Arlington is not too tall where it would perhaps look weird.

came across this gem. This was the original design for the Arlington (Pepto Tower)

arlington.jpgjim 

Jim Gross.  Ugh.

Why that dude would have ever designed a high-rise condo tower with no balconies is beyond me.  I even asked him that question when this was proposed.  His response was that people don't like or use balconies,  

Edited by Miesian Corners