Misc. Uptown Projects/News

atlrvr

Post only miscellaneous topics here  

117 members have voted

1. 1. Please verify that no applicable topic thread exists before you post.

• Ok
    • No, I don't know how to internet.

came across this gem. This was the original design for the Arlington (Pepto Tower)

arlington.jpgjim 

Jim Gross.  Ugh.

Why that dude would have ever designed a high-rise condo tower with no balconies is beyond me.  I even asked him that question when this was proposed.  His response was that people don't like or use balconies,  

So we actually have you to thank for the half assed balconies. Hey at least they exist...

I don't think it's been mentioned on here, but Connoly's is looking to build a roof-top patio, and the site of its current patio adjacent to the building will be developed into a small retail building.  I have high hopes that something architecturalyl interesting gets built on that small foot-print, but really have no knowledge about what it will look like or use.  I'm guessing bar/restaurant.

• Like 1

I don't think it's been mentioned on here, but Connoly's is looking to build a roof-top patio, and the site of its current patio adjacent to the building will be developed into a small retail building.  I have high hopes that something architecturalyl interesting gets built on that small foot-print, but really have no knowledge about what it will look like or use.  I'm guessing bar/restaurant.

very cool! I love 5th, it has some potential if iveys gets it somewhat right.

Holy crap!! That is amazing, how far along in the "looking" process are they? That place is ALL about outdoors (they need more bathrooms), and roof-top would just further enhance its appeal. Where exactly would this rooftop patio go?? It would have to be built over an open space as seen below.

Or do you mean that this entire lot area will be made a small building and connellys open up to that??? I can see it now....the current covered patio area becomes inside (with more bathrooms), to expand its inside area, then a massive rooftop patio. THIS WOULD BE AMAZING

I know people gripe about more bars and restaurants, but here on 5th this is where they NEED to be. Is there any eta to get this show on the road?

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=28202&hl=en&ll=35.227778,-80.841366&spn=0.000435,0.000603&sll=35.203153,-80.839829&sspn=0.629513,1.234589&t=h&hnear=Charlotte,+North+Carolina+28202&z=21

Edited by Jayvee

It is interesting, but not surprising, if it is an extension to the current building. Connellys has no problem packing out even with a cover charge. I hope they keep corn hole on the roof.

That would also be a tight fit for a stand alone restaurant, but may make a nice location for a little in and out type store.

It is interesting, but not surprising, if it is an extension to the current building. Connellys has no problem packing out even with a cover charge. I hope they keep corn hole on the roof.

That would also be a tight fit for a stand alone restaurant, but may make a nice location for a little in and out type store.

what i picture happening is something along the lines of another 2 story building (perhaps taller, but with that small of space, I don't know what height adds) that fits in that L shaped plot. Bottom floor is something entirely new and top floor will house either an upstairs to the new place and an outdoor patio for connellys, or an entire connellys extension. Either way, or however they do this....should be awesome

Edited by Jayvee

So I found out what they are doing at B of A Corporate Center. Apparently a 2-year project is underway to re-grout the ENTIRE building, and the wood frames they are putting up are going to be tunnels to protect from falling debris.

Is re-grouting a building common?? I have never heard of such a thing, does the Empire State Building get re-grouted??

We commonly see "repointing" on old brick buildings where the mortar has failed/disintegrated over time. I don't know what on earth would cause them to regrout a 20 year old building of that magnitude, though.

^ Based on Key Tower also being redone, it may be that whatever grout the original Cesar Pelli documents called for has just failed over time. 

Edited by tozmervo

We commonly see "repointing" on old brick buildings where the mortar has failed/disintegrated over time. I don't know what on earth would cause them to regrout a 20 year old building of that magnitude, though.

^ Based on Key Tower also being redone, it may be that whatever grout the original Cesar Pelli documents called for has just failed over time. 

Oh I am not sure that Key Tower is going to be done too, I need to ask. I'd be curious if they are cause if it isn't....but Corp Center is, that makes this even more odd.

Edited by Jayvee

Was at the Marriott Center CIty today for a site visit for a conference in 2016. Apparently, the hotel will be undergoing a "major renovation" within the next two years, including a complete overhaul of the lobby and Champions (which will be replaced).  The Omni also has plans for a major renovation at some point over the next few years.

Was at the Marriott Center CIty today for a site visit for a conference in 2016. Apparently, the hotel will be undergoing a "major renovation" within the next two years, including a complete overhaul of the lobby and Champions (which will be replaced).  The Omni also has plans for a major renovation at some point over the next few years.

I believe this is the conversion to a JW Marriott. 

• Like 1

This is a pretty great video. It nicely encapsulates the nacient parking lot preservation movement in Cincinatti. I do think we would benefit from a similar organization.

http://usa.streetsblog.org/2014/06/30/who-will-preserve-our-nations-urban-parking-lots/

This is absolutely fantastic.

I believe this is the conversion to a JW Marriott. 

And yeah this seems to be the direction that location is heading in. I'm willing to bet the current Residence Inn will be rebranded as a regular Marriott once this becomes the JW and the 210 trade project goes up.

• Like 1